- Text Size +
Chapter 7

I walked into the house and made my way to the kitchen with my bags of groceries just as the phone began to ring.
I was trying to put the bags down on the kitchen bar and I was fighting with it because it had twisted around my wrist. Before I could get to the phone the answering machine picked up the call.
“ Hey Gillian, it’s Pam….” Pam started to say before I could pick up.
“ Hey Pam I’m here, sorry I didn’t pick up sooner because I had my hands full of groceries, so what’s going on.” I asked as I began putting up my food stuff.
“ I’m calling to let you know that Nick has been brought back up to the private floor, and he does have the same room.” Pam said as she nodded to Jane and Bob who walked by and waved to her.
“ Oh ok, so how is he doing?” I asked as I put the milk in the fridge.
“ He is doing ok, his ribs are still hurting him, oh and before I forget he was asking for you. I told him that you were off for the next three days, and I told that I would give you a call and ask you to come and see him.” Pam said as she saw Angel come over to us and she had a girl with here, who turned out to be a cousin.
“ Oh I was going to come by later tonight, because I have things that I have to do so I won’t be there until after visiting hours, you can tell that I will be there.” I said as Garfield came in and hopped up on the counter and wanted me to pet him and give him some mommy love.
“ Ok I will let him know that you will be there later tonight then.” Pam said as two girls came off the elevator, and they looked around as to figure out which way they want to go, they went to the right and went into a room that had an elderly lady in the room.
“ Thanks, and speaking of some of those things that I have to go, I better get going.” I said looking at the clock and saw that I was almost going to be late for the party.
“ Ok I’ll see you in a few hours then.” Pam said as Nick’s sister Leslie and her boyfriend came off the elevator and came up to the station and handed her their ID’s.
I hung up the phone and ran upstairs and cleaned up a little bit and changed my shirt before I headed out of the house and made my way over to my parents house.
“ Gill, we almost started lunch without you, oh thank goodness you brought Tina’s cake.” Mom said as we walked into the kitchen, she took the cake from me and putting it on the counter.
“ I had to stop at the store and I tell you what it was crazy there, and that’s what set me back some, so now I’m here let’s start the party.” I said giving mom a hug, and then we walked into the dinning room.
“ About time you got here.” Tina said with a smile on her face.
“ Sorry that I’m late, happy birthday sweetheart.” I said leaned down and giving my baby sister a hug.
We had a great time a the small birthday luncheon that my parents fixed for my sister, before she had to head back to school.
I then made my way over to one of my friends who was going to have a baby so I had to go to her baby shower for an hour before heading over to another friend’s house for a bridal shower, and she was getting married this weekend in which I’m part of the bridal party.
Once I left my friend’s house I made my way to the hospital, I know that visiting hours will be over in about twenty minutes, but with this traffic I have a feeling that I will be late.
Sure enough I got to the hospital twenty minutes after visiting hours was over, but because I worked here I can stay there as long as I like.
“ Pam, sorry that I could be here a little earlier, it’s been a wild day with nothing but parties today.” I said coming up to the nurse’s station and saw another night nurse look at me.
“ That’s ok, his mom and dad just left and he may be asleep, because I gave him some pain medicine, but you are more than welcome to sit with him.” Pam said as she nodded towards Nick’s room and then she handed me his chart so that way I could see what’s been going on with him since I last saw him, which was in ICU.
I walked into his room and saw Marcus sitting in a chair watching the TV, he looked at me and gave me nod when I walked into the room.
“ Hey Gill, it’s great to see you, he just fell asleep about five minutes ago. I’m going to and get some coffee, and I need to get something out of my car so I will give you two some time alone.
“ Thanks Marcus and it’s great to see you too, oh ok I really don’t want to wake him up but I will sit right here just in case he needs something, ok you go and get whatever you need and take your time.” I said as I put my bag down in the empty chair and sat down in the chair that was on his right side.
Marcus left the room and I just sat there and watched a little bit of whatever Marcus was watching. I then heard a little moan come from Nick, so I took a hold of his hand and held. Then a song came to my head and I began to sing it.
Nick heard that voice he heard the first night he was in the hospital, and he always wanted to know who was singing to him, so he slowly opened his eyes and then turn his head to the person who was sitting next to him, and to his surprise that the voice of the Angel was none other than Gillian. Nick smiled before closing his eyes and drifted back to sleep.
I looked down at Nick, and saw a smile on his face, and saw his eyes flicker, after the song I laid my head down on the bed and I too drifted off to sleep.