- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
here we go! :D
4.

The banging on my door is loud and seems incessant. I don’t immediately recognize the voice on the other side, that yells a few muffled words I cannot make out and then disappears. Now wide-awake, I stare at the ceiling for a couple of minutes, trying to get a grip on the weirdest dream I’ve had in ages. With an incredulous smile, I sit up, intent on making breakfast for mother and brother.

The world starts spinning madly and I lie back down. I do not recall drinking, partying or doing anything else that could make my head feel like it is about to burst like an egg. Trying again, a little more careful this time, I sit up and rub my temples protectively. The pounding on the door starts up again and does nothing to calm the constant pounding in my head.

“What?” I growl, my voice raspy and unsteady.

This seems to be the cue for the person on the other side to start his tirade and sighing, I only half listen to what he’s got to say, “Dude! The hell man, hurry up! It’s eleven thirty already and we gotta be there in thirty minutes! Why’d you lock the door? I still need my shoes! This is not only your room, we gotta share, remember? Kevin said so!”

Frowning deeply, I wonder if I’m still dreaming. The voice outside sounds nothing like my brother’s and I faintly recognize the tone. I get on my feet, feeling like my legs are made of jelly and walk over to the door, hesitatingly unlocking it.

He looks rather pissed off, fully dressed but still on his socks. His fist is still high up in the air, as if he wants to knock on the now opened door again. But that’s not the thing that unhinges my jaw and makes my eyes three times as big. He stumbles back a little, uncertain off my suddenly shocked expression. “What?” he questions, “there something on my face? Cause I had cereal earlier and if there’s still some crumbs left, AJ didn’t tease me about it,” he rattles, cause that’s what he does when he feels uneasy.

With the greatest effort, I close my mouth and shake my head, still at a loss for words. The strangest thing is that I seem to be the only one who is shocked by our appearance. He doesn’t wait for me to invite him in, instead brushes past me and collects his shoes from under the other bed in the room.

Strange. I don’t remember seeing that bed before. Trying to find my voice, I stare at his still dirty-blond hair that always had a tendency to peak at all different directions. I take a deep breath, willing my heart to calm down and walk over to my own bed, sitting down. The headache has lessened to a dull throb, but I still can’t figure out the things I’m seeing with my own two eyes.

“You should go and get ready too, we’re leaving in thirty minutes,” he reminds me again, giving me a concerned scowl. “Are you okay? You look a little…” Old, he’s gonna say old, “… pale.”

Frowning, I shoot him an incredulous look. “Wh- What? Wh- How… Where are we?” I stammer, trying to find the right words.

Brian’s eyebrows shoot up as fast as I’ve seen them go.

“Wisconsin,” he says indifferently, “don’t ask me the town, cause I don’t have a frikkin clue, but we’ve been around here for almost a week, man. And we gotta be in Indiana in like four hours, so go get the hell ready! I am not gonna be late because of you again!”

Amazed, I shake my head, “I-… I just… Dude, you look really different,” I state carefully, watching his expression change from annoyance to despair.

“Oh God! What did AJ do to me?” he demands, “did he dye my hair again? He did, didn’t he? Perfect! I told him I liked it this blond! He’s such an asshole!”

I throw up my hands in defence at his sudden outburst, “No, no… he didn’t, at least, I don’t think he did.” I reply uneasily, “I was just gonna say that you look really… umm… young?”

Brian frowns and looks as if he’s questioning my mental health. It takes him a couple of seconds before he finds an answer, “Thanks, but I’m still 24, dude.”

Now it’s my turn to frown and I suddenly stand up, pointing an accusing finger at him, “No, you’re not! You wish! You’re 39, man! Stop lying to me and tell me what the fuck is going on!”