- Text Size +
Nick and Emma tried to make plans to see each other again but they never seemed to be in the same place at the same time. Nick had to travel with the guys to some appearances and Emma couldn’t take any time off because of an upcoming set of meetings. They did start texting each other daily and it seemed to keep each of them at the forefront of the other’s thoughts.

By the time the next weekend came, Emma was tired of doing work and decided that she and Addie should enjoy a girls’ day out. The guys were still away so they headed down to the Wrentham Outlets to do some shopping. After they managed to load themselves down with bags, they settled on one of the small restaurants in the area for lunch.

“I can’t believe I spent all that money.” Addie sighed.

“Well you needed to. If you get that job as a vice principal, the suits and shoes are necessities. You can’t do the job in jeans!”

“That is true.” Addie replied with a chuckle. “I really hope that I get it.”

“Of course you’ll get it. They’d be stupid not to hire you with all your qualifications.”

“I hope you’re right. It’s going to suck not being at the same school anymore.”

“I know but it’s not like we’re breaking up. We’ll still be best friends and I’ll just have to come to your house more often.”

“Speaking of that….have you talked to Nick much?”

Emma blushed. “Yes nosy, we’ve talked.”

“Just talked?”

“Talked and one kiss.”

“A kiss?!? Why didn’t you tell me that?” Addie shouted causing some other diners to look over.

“Ssshhh! I didn’t tell you because I didn’t want you to make a big deal about it.”

“It is a big deal. Are you happy? Are there going to be more?”

“Slow down. I’m happy we kissed but I’m still trying to figure this out.”

“What’s to figure out?”

“Didn’t you ever read that book?”

“What book?”

“It’s Called A Break Up Because It’s Broken?”

“That’s a stupid book. Just because people break up doesn’t mean that they shouldn’t get back together again.”

“I know but obviously there was some problem in our relationship and I don’t want to make the same mistakes again.”

“What mistakes are you thinking of?”

“Jumping into everything so fast. I mean we just got back on speaking terms and then he kisses me. I don’t know what I’m ready for next.”

Addie started to tell her she was being ridiculous but she shushed her friend when her cell phone rang. Nick’s smiling face popped up and Emma debated whether or not to answer it. After a few seconds, she pressed the call button.

“Hi.” she said quietly and saw Addie smile.

“Hi yourself. Just wanted to see how you were.”

“I’m good. Addie and I are out shopping.”

“You didn’t max out all of Howie’s credit cards did you?” Nick asked with a laugh.

“No! I used my own money thank you.”

“Well I’ll make sure he knows that.”

“You do that.”

Nick paused for a minute. “I don’t want to keep you but I did want to ask a favor.”

“What’s the favor?”

“One of the guys whose been working with us on the album is throwing an industry party and we’re all invited. The guys are all going and I was kind of hoping you might like to go. I mean with me.”

Emma thought about it for a few moments.

“You don’t have to. I was just figuring it was something that Addie was already going too. Don’t worry about it…”

“Sure.”

“Sure? As in you’ll come sure?”

“Yes.” Emma laughed. “I’ll go with you. Where is it?”

“In Boston.”

“Ok. Is it really fancy?”

“Yeah. Is that ok?”

“That’s fine. I’ll borrow one of Howie’s credit cards and buy a dress!”

Nick chuckled and told her how glad he was that she was coming. They made plans for him to pick her up and hung up. Emma turned to her friend and raised her eyebrow.

“How come you didn’t tell me you were going to a major party?”

“Because Howie made me swear not to. Nick was trying to work up the nerve to ask you and I didn’t want to ruin it for him. You’re coming right?”

“Yup.”

“Yes! I wasn’t looking forward to kind of being the only one not in the loop.”

“We can do it together.”

“Howie and I got a hotel room so we could stay in there. You and Nick should think about it too.”

Emma’s jaw dropped.

“I don’t mean together. I meant you should both stay in there so you don’t have to drive.”

After the shock had passed, Emma agreed that it was the best idea and she texted Nick to let him know. He offered to book the rooms but Emma wanted to pay for her own, so they agreed to do it separately. Once lunch was over, the two girls headed back out to find Emma something to wear.

----------------------------

“You’re not nervous are you?” AJ teased as he watched his brother pace back and forth.

“Of course I’m nervous.” Nick snapped. “We haven’t even figured out this whole thing yet and now I’m bringing her back in with everyone. Maybe this isn’t the right thing to do.”

“Do you care about her?”

“Yes…”

“Then it’s the right thing to do.” AJ said and straightened his suit. “Get lost so Ro and I can finish getting ready.”

Nick nodded and headed down the hall to Emma’s room. He knocked and waited a couple of minutes before he heard the door opening.

“Hi….”

Nick lost all ability to speak. Emma was standing in front of him in a long, strapless Brandeis blue gown, with a sweetheart neckline and a slit coming halfway up her leg. Her hair was up in a chignon with a few strands hanging down near her face and, whatever eye shadow she was wearing, made her blue eyes pop; her lips were covered in a pale pink shimmer.

They stood there staring at each other and Emma started to put on the shawl she was carrying just to have something to do. Nick put his hand on hers to stop her.

“You don’t need that. You look beautiful.”

Emma blushed which made her even more beautiful in Nick’s eyes. He took her hand in his and led her down the hallway to the elevator; he really wanted to turn her around and go back into the room but he knew he was expected at the party. This was going to take all his self-control he thought as he pushed the button to the first floor.