- Text Size +
“Mini golf?” Emma asked as they pulled into the parking lot.

“Yup.”

Nick parked the car in one of the only empty spaces and cut the engine. He climbed out of the truck and grabbed his batting helmet.

“And you need that why?”

Emma climbed out and followed him up to the entrance.

“Because I’m here with you. I’m a little hesitant that you might hit me in the head.”

“That’s so mean. Put that thing back in the truck or I’m not going in there with you.”

Nick looked at her and saw how serious she was. He jogged over and tossed the helmet into the backseat.

“Just remember that if you hit me, you’re the one who made me put it back.”

“I am not going to hit you in the head!”

“Uh huh.” he replied with a chuckle. “You don’t exactly have the best track record you know.”

“Well then maybe you shouldn’t pick such physical activities.”

Nick wrapped his arms around her waist. “There is one physical activity that you are quite good at and I definitely don’t need a helmet for it.”

Emma’s face turned beet red and she smacked him on the arm. “Shut up, there are little kids here.”

“They can’t hear me.” Nick whispered as they finally made it to the counter.

“Can I help you?” the attendant asked.

“Two for nine holes.”

The woman handed them two clubs, a score card and directed them to the ball dispenser. Emma grabbed blue before Nick could so he wound up with the green one.

“Will you be able to see that one?”

“I won’t need to, I’m gonna get a hole in one each time.”

“Oh really Mr. Golf Master? I can’t wait to see this one.”

By the time they got to the fifth hole, Nick had gone over par every time. Emma, on the other hand, managed two holes in one and the other two were under par.

“This is so not fair.” Nick muttered. “Have you been pulling a fast one on me and practicing?”

Emma laughed. “No, I’m just good at it.”

“Yeah right. I think you’re a closet golfer.” Nick teased.

“I’m really not. I think it’s beginner’s luck.”

“Uh huh.”

Emma walked over and kissed him gently. “Still upset?”

Nick pulled her close and leaned down towards her ear. “Very. Just wait till we get home.”

The couple behind them cleared their throats and Nick motioned for them to play through. He took a seat on the bench and pulled Emma down next to him. It didn’t matter to him how long it took for them to get through the nine holes, he just wanted to be with her. After about ten minutes, the pair moved on and Emma took her spot. She narrowed her eyes and put all her concentration into her swing but Nick tickled her just as her club moved and her ball shot into the small pond.

“You’re a brat you know that. I should hit you in the head with a ball.”

“You can’t, you made me leave my helmet in the car.” he reminded her with a laugh.

Emma stuck her tongue out and watched as Nick failed to get a hole in one. By the time, they’d gotten to the last hole, she still had a decent lead and he was going to concede defeat. Refusing to let him get off that easy, she scored another hole in one and watched as he tanked again.

“I think you’re the one who’s been cheating Mr. Carter. There is no way you’re this bad a golfer.”

Nick shrugged his shoulders. “Maybe I can just play real golf.”

Emma gave him a look and walked over to the club and ball return. After they dropped everything off, Nick bought them ice cream cones and they headed back to the truck.

“I had fun tonight.” Emma said out of the blue. “I don’t think I really realized how much I missed doing the little things.”

Nick draped his arm around her shoulders. “That’s what I’m here for, the little things.”

“I’m serious Nick. The only time I’ve ever felt this comfortable in a relationship is when I’m with you. You’ve never tried to pull out all the stops or show off by buying expensive things for me.”

“Would that work?”

“No and that’s why I love…” Emma paused and Nick waited for her to say it. “That’s why I love being with you.”

He had to admit that he was disappointed that she hadn’t said that she loved him. After the last failed attempt however, he couldn’t say that he really blamed her. This wasn’t exactly the perfect moment for him to confess how he was feeling but he resolved to do it sooner rather than later.

“I’m glad I can make you happy.” Nick waited for a minute and decided to ask her again. “How about moving in with me again and making both of us happy?”

“You’re not going to give up are you?”

“Not until you say yes.”

“I thought I had two weeks.”

“Time is ticking and I think you’re down to about six days or so. Not that I’m counting of course.”

“Oh no, you wouldn’t do something like that.”

“Of course not. I can’t say the same for my phone though; it seems to have a mind of its own.”

Emma chuckled. “I promise to give you an answer by the time the countdown ends.”

“I’m holding you to that you know.”

“I know.”

The couple climbed into the car and headed back to the beach house. They were both tired and Nick fell asleep easily while Emma had more trouble. She knew that he was right about the time running out and she was struggling to make a decision. This was something she wanted and she knew that Nick would be ecstatic if she said yes; she just wanted to make sure that it was right for both of them.