- Text Size +
“I like their idea of wedding favors.” Kristen remarked to the table during dinner. “Making a donation to the American Cancer Society in everyone’s names is really terrific.”

“I know.” Kevin agreed. “It’s much more personal and will someone a lot of good.”

“I think between Howie’s father and Addie’s family, it seems like the best place they could donate to.”

“I agree. Besides, I already have enough key chains.” Leighanne said with a snooty attitude.

Brian turned about fifteen shades of red and said a silent prayer that everyone would just ignore her. Thankfully, Kristen and the guys already had that idea and continued to eat their dinner.

About twenty minutes later, the women excused themselves to the bathroom and Nick told the guys he was heading to get a drink. Brian, AJ and Kevin began a heated discussion about basketball but stopped when AJ started swiveling his head.

“What are you doing J?” Kevin asked.

“Looking for Nick.”

“He’s at the bar.” Brian responded and then shook his head at his own naivety. “But he’s really not at the bar is he?”

They all looked around and saw that Nick was following Emma out of the room and onto the balcony of the hotel.

“Is he fucking stupid or deaf?” AJ growled and started to stand up. “I told him to stay away from her.”

Kevin grabbed his arm. “Be careful AJ. If you go storming out there and cause a scene, it’s going to be bad for everyone.”

“What am I supposed to do? Stand here and let him keep at her?”

“No.” Brian said and stood up. “I’ll go this time.”

--------------------------

Nick walked about on the balcony and found Emma leaning over the railing, her eyes focused on the water. He was trying to think of something to say when she broke the silence.

“Are you coming out here for round whatever it is now?”

“No.” he said quietly. “I came out here to say I was sorry.”

“Well you said it, now you can go back inside.”

“Can I just talk to you for a minute?”

Emma spun around and Nick could see how tired she looked. She was shivering and had wrapped her arms around herself to keep warm. He started to shrug his jacket off but she held up her hand.

“I’m fine, I don’t need it.”

“But you’re shivering.”

“Like I said, I’m fine.”

Nick pulled his arm back in and looked down at his feet. This definitely was not going the way he had planned and he regretted all the idiot moves he’d pulled during the day.

Emma turned back around and stared at the moonlight. She didn’t know what to say to Nick; hell, she didn’t even know how she felt. This was the one thing she dreaded about the wedding. She knew they’d be put in a situation where they’d have to say something.

“Can I ask you a favor?” Nick whispered.

Emma just shrugged her shoulders and waited.

“Can I have one dance?”

“You already did.” she retorted.

“I mean one that I didn’t force you into. One that I might get with your permission.”

Emma shook her head. “I don’t think that’s a good idea. You got your one and that’s all I can handle.”

She turned back around and started to walk past him. He reached out and touched her arm causing her to stop.

“Please Em. Just one dance.”

“I’m sorry Nick.” she said after a moment. “I just can’t.”

“But it’s just one.”

“It’s one too many Nick.” she answered and looked up at him. “I don’t know what you’re trying to accomplish here. The only reason we’re in the same room is for the wedding. Tomorrow, you and I will go our separate ways and who knows when we’ll see each other again. We need to leave things alone and move on.”

Nick was stunned and let her go back inside. He was contemplating going after again but Brian caught up to him just in time.

“Let it go Nick.” he suggested gently. “You’re not getting anywhere.”

“She’s not letting me.”

“Just let it alone for right now. It’s been two years since she’s seen you and I’d say she’s been pretty good at letting you get close tonight. I would have killed you if it’d been me.”

“So I’m just supposed to move on?”

“Yes, at least for tonight. I’m not telling you to give up, just give it a rest.”

Nick relented and followed his brother back to the table. He got a twin pair of dirty looks from AJ and Kevin as he sat down and just hung his head. He behaved for the rest of the night and only went over to the head table at the end of the night to say goodbye. While he waited in line to say goodnight, he noticed a pair of heels lying under the table, half hidden by the tablecloth. He picked them up and recognized them as the shoes Emma was wearing.

Howie nodded his head towards the door when Nick asked where she’d gone. Racing out front, he caught sight of her as she was entering the elevator. The doors closed just as he got there and he slammed his hand on the wall. He’d missed her again and didn’t even know what room she was staying in. Figuring he’d give them to Addie, he turned around and was halfway back to the reception area before an idea hit him. This may be his opportunity for a second chance at seeing Emma, his foot in the door; he decided then and there that he would hold on to them for another time.