- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you for all the feedback! I hope everyone keeps reviewing and enjoying this one!
AJ wasn’t able to get back to the diner to see Max since the night he dropped her off after the carnival. The guys had been talking about coming out with a new album and they were getting together to go over some new material that each had written. It made the experience of recording so much more enjoyable now that they had complete creative control.

He was running late for the meeting and he knew the guys wouldn’t be thrilled to be kept waiting. It wasn’t that he intended to be late; he had been staying up late at night for a few days working on a new song. This wasn’t one that he planned on showing the guys; it was a special song just for Max. Dialing Nick’s number, he explained that he would be late and hoped to be there within an hour. His brother didn’t seem very happy and told him to hurry up.

----------------

“He’s gonna be late.” Nick told them, irritation creeping into his voice.

“Did he say why?” Brian asked.

“No but I can guess.” Nick muttered.

“Care to share?” Kevin inquired with one eyebrow raised.

“This new woman.”

Howie chuckled. “Well it’s nice to know that he’s back in the dating game again. I wonder who she…”

“She’s a messy situation waiting to happen.”

“That’s not very nice Nick.”

“I don’t care about being nice. She’s a walking disaster that J doesn’t need. Hell, he barely knows her!”

“It takes time to get to know someone.”

“I know that.” Nick snapped. “I’m not stupid! I’m talking about him really not knowing anything about her at all.”

”How did he meet her then?”

“She’s a waitress at that diner he goes to.”

“What’s wrong with that?”

“She showed up out of the blue, doesn’t tell anyone anything except her first name, and doesn’t talk to anyone.”

“Well she obviously talks to J.” Howie stated.

“No shit.”

“There’s no reason to get nasty Nick.” Kevin said finally stepping in. “Howie was just…”

“Cutting me off, I wasn’t done. This chick shows up and has been living in her car!”

“She’s homeless?” Brian asked surprised.

“Basically. I guess the owner of the diner offered her some cheap, vacant apartment he rents out.”

“Maybe she moved from…”

“That’s not the worst!” Nick yelled, carrying on with his tirade. “She’s working for tips only, doesn’t want a paycheck.”

The rest of the guys stared at him.

“Yup, you heard what I said. Who shows up out of the blue, lives in their car and won’t work for a paycheck?”

“Maybe there’s a good reason…” Brian started to say.

“Bullshit!” Nick bellowed. “The only two reasons someone does that are if they’re in witness protection or they did something and they’re running away from it.”

“You make her sound like an ax murderer.”

“She might be! How do you know that she didn’t kill someone and now she’s hiding out?”

“I still think we shouldn’t jump to any conclusions.” Brian said, always trying to find the best in everyone.

Nick’s voice rose even more as he recited all of the reasons he had for not trusting her. He didn’t realize that AJ was there until Howie cleared his throat and pointed over his shoulder. Whipping around, he came face to face with his brother whose eyes were already flashing with anger.

“You said you’d be an hour.”

“Well sorry to ruin your plans, you did tell me to hurry.” AJ replied. “And exactly what do you think you’re doing?”

“I was explaining why you were late!”

“How the hell do you know why I was late? I don’t recall telling you and when did you become my fucking mother?”

“I’m your family and I’m tired of you picking up stray people…”

AJ got in Nick’s face and stuck his finger in his chest. “Don’t you ever call Max a stray again! So help me God…”

Howie and Brian took it upon themselves to separate the two guys. Howie grabbed Nick and dragged him out to the patio of the studio they were in and Brian did the same to AJ as they headed to the parking lot. Kevin watched the scene and, when they were all gone, he sank into the chair and started to massage his temples.

“I thought we outgrew all this shit.” he mumbled.