- Text Size +

March 20, 2010

[Scarlett]

Home sweet home. Or at least LAX. That's all I've seen so far besides the car that Nick had got to pick us up. I was glad to be home, but I was exhausted and really just wanted to see my bed. We were home for a little over a month, I thought. To be honest, I wasn't even sure. The past month had been a whirlwind. The tour wrapped up in Europe and the next stop was Japan I thought, but to be honest, I wasn't sure I was going to go. It was only for a week and a half and the publishing company in Nashville had already been calling for me to come in.

The car dropped Nick off at his house so that he could go in and tend to things and he said he was coming to my place afterwards. I just wanted to see my bed and my pillows. Hotel beds were all nice and comfy, but there was nothing like my own bed.

The driver of the car helped me bring my bags inside the house and I went to tip him but he said Nick had already done so. It had been a long time since I was away from home for so long. I was usually never gone no more than two weeks at a time.

I didn't even bother pulling my luggage upstairs. I grabbed my backpack and purse and made my way upstairs and paused, seeing a pair of heels outside my bedroom door.

Heels that weren't mine. I know because I would never wear those.

I walked up to my bedroom door and pushed it open slightly to see Piper curled up on my bed asleep, hugging up to one of my pillows. I dropped my backpack on the small chair in my room and crawled up on the bed, touching her arm.

"Piper...." I whispered, nudging her a little as she jumped. "What are you doing here?"

"Oh my God, you're back!" she practically screamed, jumping over to hug me. "You're back."

"Yes," I laughed. "What are you doing in my bed, Goldilocks?" She sighed, tucking her hair behind her ears. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, everything is fine," she smiled. "Your place was just closer to the soundstage where we've been filming some stuff and I was so tired and I knew you were coming home..." she said, stuttering over her words so I knew she was lying. I knew when Piper Marsh was lying and she was lying. "You're home. Where's Nick?"

"The car dropped him off at his place so he could check on things," I said, staring at her. She looked like she hadn't had much sleep. "You look tired. Have you been sleeping well? How's Dylan?"

"I'm just tired from work... being the star of a movie is tiresome," she said as I gave her a look. "Seriously."

"You're lying...."

"I'm not lying," she said, moving over to hug me again. "I missed you guys. I don't have to shoot tonight. Dylan's shooting some stuff. Want to just hang out? Me, you and Nick? We can watch ‘Dazed and Confused' or ‘Dumb and Dumber' or something really stupid and funny like old times. Can we? We can order a pizza.... hell I'll go shopping and get the stuff and make a homemade pizza."

"Yeah, we can do that," I smiled. "I'm tired of take out. Homemade pizza sounds amazing."

"Great, I'll go rush the store and get some stuff," she smiled. "Yay! You're home!" she said, jumping off the bed. "The three musketeers are back," she laughed as I smiled and watched her rush out of the room, grabbing the heels that were left outside my bedroom door.

Something was off. Something was definitely off with her. Not only had I barely talked to her since she came home from London, but there was something weird going on. Her house is less than two miles away. That was just an excuse.

And I was going to find out what that was.

[/Scarlett]

 


 

[Piper]

"Ready made pizza base, toppings, cheese, sauce.... snacks, sodas... dvd... dvds..." I turned, pushing the cart across the tour to the entertainment section and browsed the DVD's, trying to find a classic DVD that I knew Scarlett didn't have.

My mind travelled though, seeing Dylan's face on the front of a DVD case. I sighed, reaching forward and picking it up before turning it around and placing it back. I picked up Mrs Doubtfire on DVD and tossed it in the cart before turning around.

Filming had been going great, We'd done a few weeks in Georgia on location, filming a whole bulk before coming back to LA and filming on the sound stages. We still had a while to go, but things were moving smoothly with it.

It was probably the only thing that was going smoothly. But I didn't want to think of anything else right then.

I picked up everything else I needed to make for dinner before paying and heading back to Scarlett's. I walked into the house to see her and Nick standing in the kitchen, and instantly stop talking when they saw me. "Hey! "Mrs Doubtfire" ok? I also got ingredients for an apple pie, thought you could make it Scar if you aren't too tired, otherwise I don't mind making it..." I placed the grocery bags on the kitchen counter, and was instantly engulfed in a hug by Nick. I sighed, letting him hug me before moving back.

"You ok? You seem tired?" Nick was looking at me, like he was trying to find something. I shook my head a little, and turned to the shopping bags, unpacking them.

"I'm fine. Yes, a little tired. Filming went on for a while last night... well, I left this morning, so yes. Tired. I missed you guys though. Tell me about the rest of the tour! Did Howie fall over anymore? Ooh, I also bumped into Kevin the other week. He said he's happy for you both!" I glanced at them both, who were staring at me.

Urgh.

[/Piper]

 


 

[Scarlett]

"You're tired but you're talking like you're hyper," I said as she laughed.

"I had an energy drink at the store," she smiled, setting stuff on the counter. "So, really, how is everything? I feel like we haven't talked in forever."

"Everything's fine... we have a few weeks off so we're gonna work on my album," Nick said as he looked at her. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"Peachy," she smiled wide. "Oh my God Scarlett, you've got to see this dress I got to wear to the awards show next week. It's gorgeous. It's by Stella McCartney and you're gonna die." She looked like she started looking around for something. "Damn my phone is upstairs. Be right back."

"See," I whispered to Nick as Piper rushed out of the room. "What the fuck is that?"

"She's on uppers," he whispered as I glared at him. "She's on something. That's not an energy shot and she's acting strange, yeah, but..."

"She's barely talked about Dylan and every time I brought him up, she would change the subject and she was sleeping in my bed, Nick," I said as he sighed. "She lied to me. She never lies to me and she lied. I can tell when she lies. She lied to me just then about the energy drink because she doesn't drink them. She doesn't even like Red Bull and Vodka."

"Let's just see how tonight goes," Nick said as I made a face. "Seriously... maybe it's just the stress from the movie. This is a big deal for her."

"Got it!" Piper said, walking over to show me the dress on her phone, which was gorgeous. "Isn't it beautiful."

"Yeah... the gold color is awesome with your hair," I smiled.

Now I was officially worried.

[/Scarlett]

 


 

[Piper]

I was itchy. Way too itchy to feel comfortable watching this movie. Plus, I could feel Nick and Scarlett looking at me every now and then and it was unnerving.

I was fine, why wouldn't they listen to me.

My cell buzzed from the arm of the chair, making them both look over as I glanced at the screen and sighed.

"You going to get that?" Scarlett answered, making my stomach drop.

"Uh... sure." I picked it up, and walked out the room before answering.

"Hey..."

"Where are you?"

I walked into the kitchen, pulling the door closed a little behind me. "I'm having a day to myself." I whispered, walking over to the kitchen counter where I'd left my bag.

"But I haven't seen you since this morning."

I sighed. "Just... I'll see you tomorrow." I cut the call, turning my cell off and tossing it on the kitchen counter before unzipping my purse. The door creaked, making me spin around, sending my bag flying on the floor. I sighed, seeing Nick walking in with the empty popcorn bowl as I bent down to pick my bag up, but as I did the contents spilled out everywhere.

"What a clutz." Nick said, chuckling as he bent down to help me.

"I got it..." I said, swatting his hand away as he reached for the script I kept in my bag, but he'd already picked it up as I did, and it exposed exactly what I didn't want him to find. I gingerly looked at him as he picked up the small baggy with pills in before he looked at me.

"I knew it..."

I went to snatch for them, but he stood up. "Nick..."

"Why?"

I gazed up at him, and felt my stomach sink as he gave me that look. The look of disappointment. I looked away from him and felt my eyes well up. "I'm tired..."

"Bullshit..."

"I AM!" I raised my voice a little before looking around. I didn't want Scarlett to see this. "I'm working alot, and... they help."

"Piper, last time you were on these you were addicted! I am not seeing you get in that mess again!"

"I won't!" I stood up, and watched as he turned around. He walked over to the sink, and its like I knew what he was going to do, but didn't realise it until he ran the water and emptied the bag of pills down the sink.

Hell, I didn't even react. I knew I had more at home.

"No more, Piper! I mean it!" He turned and looked at me. "Where's Dylan?"

"On set." I answered, shrugging.

"What did he do?"

"Nothing!" I bent back down and shoved the contents of my bag back inside it before standing back up. I grabbed my cell and avoided Nick's gaze. "I should go home."

"Piper..."

"I'm tired, and going home!" I looked at him, glaring, and dared him to tell me he was going to make me stay, but when he sighed and looked away I walked out the kitchen, yelled to Scarlett that I would see her later, and left.

I didn't want to go home, but it wasn't like Nick was going to make it easy for me to stay at Scarletts.

[/Piper]

 


 

[Scarlett]

"Where the hell did she go?" I asked as Nick walked back into the living room. "She flew by, telling me she'd see me tomorrow. Did you confront her?"

"Uh, sorta," Nick sighed, handing me another can of Sprite. "Her bag fell over. I was right."

"You were right?" I asked, reaching over to pause the movie. "What do you mean?"

"She's on uppers again, I don't know what type, I couldn't really tell... looked like prescription, but wasn't in a bottle so I know no doctor gave them to her," Nick said as I glared at him.

"Again? What do you mean again?" I asked as Nick looked away. "When was she ever on drugs?" He didn't say anything. "Nick..."

"Back when I was really bad... before you and Kevin took me to rehab. Before I came to stay with you in Nashville. She would do whatever I would do. It's when you were gone a lot, doing your own thing. When we were messing around."

"Why didn't you tell me?!" I asked, almost yelling. "Why didn't she tell me? Why the hell am I always left in the dark when it comes to you two?!" He just looked at me, not saying anything. I was raising my voice, but I felt like I had a right to raise my voice.

"I got her into it and when I got clean, I got her out of it. She had a problem, but it wasn't like mine," Nick sighed. "But the moment I saw her, I saw that look in her eye. I saw how she acted. That's how she acted back then. Like, she had crazy eyes or something, you know?"

"I wonder if Dylan has gotten her into it?" I asked as I stood up, reaching for my purse. "I'm going to find him."

"Oh no you're not," Nick said, grabbing my hand and pulling me into his lap. "You're not going to go fight him. If anybody's gonna fight him, it's me and I don't know even know if he's done anything." I just glared at him. "What?"

"Everything goes back to you two being together," I muttered.

"This isn't about that, it's just, it's just when she did those things before, that's all," he said as I looked away. "I promise. Her bag fell in there and the pills fell out. That's how I saw them."

"I should go over there," I said, trying to move out of his lap and he held me there. "Stop."

"You're not going over there. She knows it's wrong. And if for some reason it's bad, and she's addicted, we'll help, other wise, let her be," he said as I glared at him.

"I hate you."

"Fuck off, you do not."

"I can't believe you two never told me, especially you with how you used to be," I whispered as he pouted.

"Wasn't my place to tell. Besides, you and I have had our secrets from her, too," he whispered as I sighed, crawling off of him and sitting back next to him on the sofa.

[/Scarlett]

 


 

[Piper]

I knew he'd be waiting for me when I got home. It was inevitable, especially after I turned my cell off. I sighed, cutting my cars engine and slowly climbed out the car before walking over to him.

"You hung up on me." He had his arms folded across his chest as I walked past him and unlocked the front door.

I was feeling exhausted, and genuinely wanted to sleep, but knew I wouldn't get any. "I was busy."

"Too busy for your boyfriend?" He shut the door behind him and followed me up the stairs.

I kicked my bedroom door open, throwing my purse on the floor and stepped out my heels. I pulled the t-shirt I had on over my head and threw that on the floor along with my skirt, panties and bra. I crawled into bed and glanced at Dylan as he watched me from the doorway.

"What are you doing?" He eyed my clothes on the floor before looking back at me.

"Come to bed?" It was a question, and a pityful one at that. But he didn't need convincing. He stripped himself of his clothes and tossed the covers back, not caring that I was clearly hiding underneath them. He crawled onto the bed and looked down at me.

"Whats this?" His hand moved to my thigh, and gripped it.

I glanced down, seeing nothing. "My leg."

"Fat." He muttered, moving his hand further up my thigh until he reached my stomach. "There too."

I sighed. "I've lost 8 pounds this week alone."

"Bullshit." His hand moved up my stomach until he cupped my breast in his hand. "At least getting fat means these get bigger." He crawled over me before looking down at me. "I'll work that fat off of you, don't you worry. He gave me a smile before leaning down and kissing me, and I kissed him back, because I wanted the attention, and needed the attention.

I needed to forget Nick's disappointed face, and I needed to remember that my boyfriend loved me despite my flaws.

As as Dylan made love to me, I tried to convince myself that I wanted this as much as I was telling myself I need it.

[/Piper]

 


 

[Flashback - December 2002]
[Nick]

I glanced around the bar we were shooting my music video for "Do I Have To Cry For You" and smiled. It was perfect, literally as I imagined. The video was all my idea too, and it had been a little tricky finding a director who would go with my idea, but once we had... well it was great seeing it come alive.

"The bathrooms stink in here."

I turned, seeing Piper walk out from the back of the bar, her face in a grimace. I chuckled and waved her over. "But the bar is perfect."

"Just don't use the bathroom." She sniffled, walking over to me and wrapping an arm around my shoulder.

"So, do I have to pretend I'm in love with you and shit?"

I chuckled, looking at her. Piper had come into her own the past few months, having got a part on a TV show. She'd had to darken her hair a little for the role, and it made her look more grown up. She was the hot thing on TV right now, so it was perfect that she was here with me to star in my music video. "Maybe a little..."

"I'll try not throw up in my mouth." She winked at me before moving away and looking around.

I watched her a moment before taking a deep breath. I hadn't really seen Piper since Halloween, after my album had dropped and we went out, and that conversation on the beach where I told her I'd be her go to guy. We hadn't done anything yet, and it made me wonder if she was still sleeping around.

"So, you ready?"

Piper turned to me and grinned big before nodding. "Hell yea."

I held out my hand, and she took it before I guided her outside, and across the road to the motel we were also filming in.

[/Nick]

 


 

[Piper]

Filming with Nick had actually been a lot more fun that I'd thought. Initially I thought it would of been awkward, but it obviously helped that we were comfortable enough with acting to make it look normal on camera. We had to react fighting, crying, happy and in love... it was fun overall, especially driving down the empty highway in the convertible. Of course, my boobs nearly fell out the top I'd been wearing, and Nick had pretty much begged me to put a bra on.

I mean, what guy begs a woman to wear a bra??

We had the scene in the bar to do, which all I had to do was walk in and pretend I was touched by the song.

What had surprised me was Nick was actually in there playing the guitar and singing the song to some locals, so when I walked in the look of shock on my face was real, and the smile as well. He sounded good, all natural sat there with just a guitar. The actual song was playing quietly in the background for guidance, but he didn't need it.

Once the director yelled that it was a wrap I skipped over to Nick and wrapped my arms around his neck.

"YAY! Lets go party now!"

Nick chuckled. "Uh, you're underage!"

"Shhhh!" I covered his mouth with my hand and glanced around. "Don't ruin my fun. There's a guy over there, and I can't talk to him without a little courage."


I spotted Nick look across the bar at the guy I'd had my eye on since I'd been in here, before he looked back at me.

"Not the greasy looking guy?"

I shrugged, and gave the guy across the bar a grin. "He looks nice enough."

"Piper..."

I looked at Nick. "What?"

"I thought we spoke about this?" His voice was a little hushed, but I heard him loud and clear.

"I am not sleeping with you. Plus, it's weird."

"But..."

"SHHH!" I placed my hand over his mouth again before leaning in and kissing his cheek. "I appreciate that you care, but I'm a big girl." I gave him a smile before letting him go and walking across the bar to the guy I'd had my eye on.

[/Piper]

 


 

[Nick]

I know it wasn't jealousy I was feeling, because I'd felt that before. But I seriously wanted to punch that guys face in.

We'd headed back into LA, the guy tagging along with us. Piper had pretty much made out with him the whole way in the back of the car, and when we got to the hotel we'd been staying at, she skipped the bar and headed upstairs with him.

So I skipped the bar and headed back to my room.

I texted Scarlett, who was in Nashville finally following her dream, and let her know a brief description of how the video went, minus Piper running off with the random guy, before grabbing my backpack and going through it until I found what I'd stashed in there earlier that week.

AJ had been the one to get me into popping pills every now and then, and then I'd watched him get addicted to shit that messed with my head. I knew I wasn't as bad as him, being that I'd had these pills nearly a week, but at that moment I needed something to wake me up. I took a couple, downing it with a beer and walked out to the balcony on my hotel room. I sat on the lounger, and gazed out at the city when the balcony door on the room next to mine opened and I saw Piper walk out.

"Thought I heard you come outside." Piper leaned against the railing and looked at me.

"Where's the guy?"

She shrugged. "He had a small dick..."

"Piper!"


Piper laughed. "Kidding. His wife called. He had to leave."

I shook my head, standing up. "You are crazy!"

She nodded. "Yup." Piper looked at me before looking around. I watched as she literally climbed over her balcony to mine with ease. We were pretty high up, and she just walked past me and into my room like she'd walked through the door.

"Yup, definitely crazy. What are you doing?" I followed her in to see her holding my bag of pills.

"What are these?" She waved them at me.

"Nothing."

"Nick..."

"Uppers." I sighed, waiting for the lecture I was sure to receive.

"What do they do?" She opened the bag, pouring some into her hand. I walked over and took them from her.

"Nothing you need to know." I put them back into the bag and sealed it.

"They make you high, don't they? I can see it in your eyes. Let me have one." She reached out for them, making me jump backwards.

"NO!"

"YES!" She yelled back, but laughed as I dodged her again. She chased me around the room a moment before I stupidly tripped on my shoe and landed on my front on the floor. The bag flew across the floor, and she quickly picked it up and opened it before I could even get up. She slipped a pill in her mouth and swallowed it without water before doing the bag back up and dropping it on the floor beside me. She threw herself down on my bed and sighed loudly as I climbed off the floor with a groan.

[/Nick]

 


 

[Piper]

I'd never done drugs before, and I didn't really know what to expect with these pills. I didn't feel weird or anything, but I felt my energy levels literally build up, and when they did I realised Nick was sat on the chair across from the bed watching me. "What?"

"I can't believe you did that..." He shook his head at me, making me laugh.

"Oh what? Because you do them I can't?" I rolled my eyes. "Nick Carter, you are a hypocrite!" I climbed off the bed and walked over to him. "I'm fine."

"No, you are now high."

"And so are you!" I waved my hands in the air, grinning at him. "I kinda like it."

"No."

"Yup."

"Piper..."

"Nickolas..."

He sighed at me, looking away. He looked a little defeated. Probably how I looked when Mr Greasy's wife called and he left. An idea came to me, making me smile.

"Hey, I know something..."

Nick glanced at me. "What?"

"Well... that guy left me hanging..."

"What?" Nick repeated, slowly sitting up straight.

"Nick, I'm horny and you said..."

"No, Piper! You're high!"

"And horny!"

"Its me!"

"And?"

Nick stared at me, like really stared at me. I shrugged at him, pulling my tank off over my head. I put my hands on my hips and tried to match the look on his face that he was giving me. It was amusing, especially when it had been his idea to begin with. "Well? Am I that repulsive? Or do I need to convince you..." I reached for my shorts, and unbuttoned them slowly before sliding them down my legs. I was wearing a little thong, and kinda felt exposed as I stood there in my underwear, but then Nick moved, and I glanded up as he grabbed me by both my arms and looked down at me.

"You promise to never touch my stuff again?"

I gazed up at him, his eyes boring into mine. "Sure..."

"I mean it..." His grip loosened on my arms, and slowly his hands moved up my arms and to my neck, where he brushed my hair back and looped his fingers through my bra straps, lowering them slowly.

"You better be good..." I said, getting a small smirk back in return.

"You won't regret it, trust me..." He said, his voice all husky before he lowered his head as if he was going to kiss me, but paused a moment. I took a deep breath, moving my hands to his t-shirt and gripping it in my hands.

"Our secret?" I whispered, licking my lips as he breathed a little heavy.

"Our secret." He muttered, before closing the gap between us and kissed me.

[/Piper]
[End Flashback]