- Text Size +

Project: nkotBSB
By Dottie
Copyright 2014

Chapter 103

Jessi

Last night Nick and I spent the evening cuddling.  We didn't talk.  We didn't have to.  AJ and Hanna Jo came back late looking like they both had sand in their pants.  I fully intend to talk to Hanna Jo about the pitfalls of actually having sex on the beach.

AJ and Nick left about an hour ago.  They are taking their assignment for the wedding seriously.  As they were leaving, they were arguing about roses.  

Shaking my head I quietly knock on Hanna Jo's bedroom door. AJ said she had been a little under the weather this morning.  "Ho Jo, you ok?"

She opens the door and mutters crossly, "Morning sickness sucks."

I fight the urge to laugh.  "Maybe we should have done the flowers and left the menu to them."

She shakes her head. "No way!  Now that I've spent my morning praying to the porcelain God, I'm starving."

I can't help it.  I laugh and hug her. "Hanna Jo, you're the best!"

When we get to the lobby, we just stare at each other.  Finally, she says, "How do we go about this?"

I giggle.  "We go back to the place where Nick and I reserved the yacht and we talk to them. The cruise includes catering.  We just have to look over the menus to decide how to go."

The concierge orders us a taxi.  When I tell the driver our destination, Hanna Jo asks, "What do you think about food?"

I shrug.  "The cruise will start at 7:00. While Nick was making arrangements I did a little looking through their brochures.  They offer a  lot of options.  Everything from finger foods to a seven course meal."

Her eyes meet mine.  "A seven course meal? For real?"

I have to laugh.  The fanciest dinner I've ever had has been 3 courses. "Let's do it, Hanna Jo.  Let's do the seven course meal.  Wouldn't it be awesome?"

She giggles.  "I like it Jessi.  Let's do it."


Once we sit down with our cruise director, Lelani, it takes all I have not to laugh myself silly.  Hanna Jo and I are obviously out of our element and our questions just seem to irritate her.  Finally she hands us each a copy of available foods and tells us we can look them over with the grooms to make our decisions and call her back with our choices by the end of the day.

As she leaves the room, my laughter bubbles forth.  "I don't think we're high society enough for her Hanna Jo."

Hanna Jo laughs with me. "Well, she's probably used to people who charter these cruises knowing more about this stuff.  Jessi, I don't know what half the stuff on this menu is."

I can't help but nod.  "I know.  Come on, let's go see if we can find someone to help us figure this out."

We slip out and go down the street to small cafe with seating on the patio.  After we each order a BLT with fries, our waitress, Melanie, mentions the menus we're looking at.  "I was a guest on one of their cruises.  The food is exquisite."

I look up at her happily. "I don't suppose you could help us could you?  We're not exactly sure what to choose.  I don't know what half of this is."

She checks her watch.  "Umm, well, I won't get a break for an hour."

Hanna Jo says “We can make our lunch last that long.  Oh please, we'll pay you for your time..."

She waves her hand. "Nah, don't worry about it. It's nothing."


Even though she didn't want us to pay her, we insisted on buying her lunch.  She gave us the best advice possible.  "Just keep it simple.  If you don't know what it is, don't order it."

Hanna Jo sighs.  "As much as I want to try something new, maybe our wedding dinner isn't the right time."

Melanie nods. "Another thing, since you decided to do lobster for the seafood course, order a couple of servings of sea bass or salmon.  Some people are allergic to shellfish."

I sigh deeply.  "That's a  good idea.  I didn't even think about that.  But we decided on shrimp cocktail for one course."

Melanie shrugs. "So add a couple of orders of Risotto or Capellini.  Since you're doing a seven course meal, the servings are small.  And, whatever isn't eaten on the cruise can be donated to a shelter."

Hanna Jo smiles warmly. "Now that makes me feel good.  Jessi, what if we order two items for each course?  That way, everyone has a choice and what isn't eaten won't go to waste."

That's my Hanna Jo.  Melanie smiles.  "That's a great idea." Checking her watch, she sighs. "Break's over.  You really didn't have to buy my lunch..."

I hold up my hand. "You didn't have to help us get our heads screwed on straight.  Thank you."

She smiles warmly.  "Nick and AJ are lucky."  Hanna Jo and I share a look of horror and she laughs. "You guys were all over the internet during the tour.  Congratulations."

As she walks away, I shake my head.  "Hanna Jo, do you believe that?"

Hanna Jo smiles and murmurs, "The fans aren't all bad Jessi. I guess we have to get used to being recognized."

I feel butterflies swarming in my stomach.  "I don't know Hanna Jo.  Things might change after the trial."

She grabs my hand.  "Maybe so.  One thing that won't change is Nick.  He's always going to love you Jess."

I feel myself getting all choked up. "I know Ho Jo.  Believe me, I know."

 

 

After going back to the charter company and explaining what we want, Hanna Jo and I decide to go back to the hotel and take a long walk on the beach.  We haven’t really had girl-time and something tells me she needs to get some things off her chest.

 

Once we hit the sand, we both take off our shoes and slowly meander down the shore.  Hanna Jo looks around. “Have you ever seen a more perfect beach, Jessi?  The sand is so clean and white…”


I cut her off quickly. “Hanna Jo, what’s wrong?”

 

I hear her sigh.  “My parents, what else?  I know inviting them to the wedding is the proper thing to do, but Jessi I just don’t want them there.  I don’t want my dad hiding behind my mother’s outrage that I’m pregnant before the wedding.”

 

I can’t help but shake my head. “What the fuck is wrong with your dad? Doesn’t he have balls?  I know you told me growing up he wasn’t as bad as your mom.”

 

She shrugs.  “It’s only gotten worse.  Now he’s as bad as she is when it comes to being self-righteous.  But I don’t think he’d be as insulting to Alex like Mother will.  I already know she’s going to think he’s some kind of demon sent to corrupt me.”

 

I can’t help but laugh.  She shoots me a dirty look and I sober up slightly. “Hanna Jo, he’s covered in tattoos and wears skull jewelry.  I can see why she’d think demon, but you know the truth. You know he’s a sweet, sexy guy that loves you.  If your parents don’t accept him as the man you love and the father of their grandchildren, it’s their own fault.  You have GOT to stop living in the past.  It’s the future you need to worry about.”

 

She stops dead in her tracks and mutters harshly, “Well then why don’t you take your own advice Jessica?  When are YOU going to let go of YOUR past and enjoy your future with Nick?”

 

She’s right.  I know she is.  Sighing, I whisper, “Hanna Jo, it’s not that easy.  You only have to get out from under your parents’ thumb, which you’ve done successfully for many years.  I have to overcome choices I made.  Choices that made me feel dirty and disgusting.  I’m not proud of what I did.  You should be. You’re standing up for yourself. I cowered in fear and did…well, you know what I did.”  Taking a deep breath, I whisper, “I want to build a good life with Nick.  I want to forget what I did before I met him.  I want HIM to forget.  I want to wash away the dirty feeling…how can I do that?”

 

She hugs me tightly and whispers, “Forgive yourself Jessi.  That’s all you have to do.  Forgive yourself and let Nick’s love wash it all away.”

 

I cry on her shoulder and whisper, “I don’t know if I can Hanna Jo. I just don’t know if I can.”