- Text Size +

Project: nkotBSB
By Rachel
Copyright 2014

Chapter 104

Hanna Jo

Once, I get Jessi calmed down we continue walking down the beach, a cool breeze blowing around us. Both of us have dealt with a lot in our lives. It is time to break free for good.

“Jessi, you know this is a turning point for us.” She stops and stares at me. I continue. “Our wedding is a new start for us. Jessica Todd and Hanna Jo Rogers won’t exist. Nothing that happened before that matters.  We are starting a new life of unconditional love and happiness.”

Jessi stops for a moment; then a big grin plasters her face. I mean a smile that reaches her ears. “You summed it up perfectly, Ho Jo. That is exactly how I want to feel on my wedding day. I know some days my past will creep in. I also, know that I can handle it with Nick by my side.”

“And you’ll be there for Nick, just like I am for Alex. Neither of them is perfect. They have a past, too. All we can do is love and support each other.”

“Well, well, well. If it isn’t the two prettiest women on the beach.” AJ flirts as he and Nick walk over to us.

“Such a charmer.” Jessi wraps herself around Nick. “How did things go with the florist?”

“I think you are going to love it!” Nick says as we all turn back and head toward the hotel. “So AJ and I think our ladies deserve to go on a date tonight.”

“I like how the sounds. What’s the plan?” I ask curiously. AJ and I are holding hands as we walk.

“Well Jessi and I are going to have a beautiful dinner. Then we are going to get a massage.” He says excitedly. Jessi squeals with delight.

“We are going to a Polynesian dinner show.” I wrap my arms around AJ’s neck and give him a kiss. I love that he embraces my nerdiness.

“You’re the best.”

 

We got back fairly early from the dinner show last night and went straight to bed. It’s now eight o’clock in the morning and I’m the only one up. Morning sickness is the cause. I’m sitting the living room of the suite watching mindless morning talk shows and perusing some pregnancy books.  No one else will be up for hours. Imagine my surprise when there’s a knock at the door.

We weren’t expecting guests. I walk to the door and open it. Oh my gosh, it’s AJ’s mom. I look down; I’m still in my pajamas. I take a deep breath, before I start to speak. “Hello, you must be Mrs. Solis, Alex’s mom. Please come in.”

“Hanna it’s a pleasure to meet the woman who stole my son’s heart.” She smiles at me. My stomach lurches and I start to feel sick.

“Excuse me.” I run toward the bathroom.

I make it just in time to spill my guts. Damn this morning sickness. I flush the toilet and sit on the floor. My nerves are on edge, but not because of being pregnant. AJ’s mother is sitting in the living room. What if she doesn’t like me? What if she thinks I’m all wrong for AJ? Oh, no! I just ran out on her. What kind introduction is that? This is already off to bad start.

Quickly, I get up and brush my teeth. In the mirror I see a pale, tired face. I brush my hair and make my way to the living room. A few deep breaths and I think I’ll be fine.

“Mrs. Solis, I apologized for running out on you. Something I ate didn’t agree with me.” I take a seat on the couch opposite of her.

“No need to worry, Hanna. It’s happens to all of us.” She smiles at me. “Please call me Denise. I’m so excited to meet you. Alex has told me so much about you.”

I blush at her comment. “You have a wonderful son. He always has great things to say about you.” I reply shyly.

“He’s always been a flatterer.” She laughs, and I join in with her. “Are you getting excited about the wedding?”

“I am. I can’t wait to be Alex’s wife.” I decide to be honest with Denise. “I’m sure it was shocking to hear we’re getting married after only dating a few months. I love your son with all my heart. There’s no other man for me. I plan to love him unconditionally through the good and bad.”

“Hanna, thank you for being candid. Believe it or not, I still follow Alex’s career. You’re different than any other girl he’s dated.”

Our conversation is getting deep faster than I expected. I’m totally spazzing on the inside. I wish someone would wake up. I say a quick prayer that I don’t say the wrong thing. “Is that a good thing?” I squeak out.

She smiles at me. “It’s more than a good thing. You love him for Alex and not AJ. I’m happy my son has come to his senses. You’re the girl I’ve been telling him about. I’m looking forward to getting to know you better. So, don’t be so nervous around me.”

“I’ll try.” I smile shyly while looking down. Crap, the pregnancy books are sitting on the coffee table. Denise has to have seen them. What am I going to do?  I can’t just take them off the table. I’ll pretend I don’t see them. Maybe she’ll think they belong to Jessi. AJ and I haven’t discussed when we were going to tell her.

“Mom! What are you doing here?” AJ walks into the room and gives his mom a hug. Then he comes and sits next to me.  “I thought your flight was coming in tomorrow.”

“I missed you and wanted to meet the beautiful and smart Hanna. Plus, I thought you could use some extra help with the wedding.”

“Denise, of course we can use some help. Jessi and I have so much to do. Thank you for offering.”

“So where are Nick and his bride to be?”

“I believe they’re still sleeping. They didn’t get in until late.” AJ says as he wraps his arm around me. “What do you say to a nice breakfast on the balcony?”

“I think that would be lovely.”

“While you order, I think I’m going to get a shower.”  I get up and walk toward our bedroom. 

I start to undress, when AJ walks in. “Damn, you look sexy. I wish I was taking a shower with you.” He nibbles on my shoulder. “You’re so tense baby.”

“Your mom is here and I want to make a good impression.” I sigh deeply. “When she came, I had a case of morning sickness and had run out on her. Then I realized all the pregnancy books were scattered on the coffee table. She had to have put it all together. We haven’t talked about when we are going to tell her.”

“Banana, calm down.  My mom loves you.  She said you’re genuine. Just be yourself around her. Why don’t we just tell her about the baby and get it over with? Mom will overjoyed about becoming a grandma.” I nod, still unsure. AJ brings his mouth to mine for a tender kiss. “I love you. Now get your shower. The food will be here in twenty minutes.”