- Text Size +

Project: nkotBSB
By Dottie
Copyright 2014

Chapter 115

Jessi

Before we can get into our dresses, there's a persistent knocking at the door. I grab my robe as Denise goes to answer the door. 

Brian comes in looking worried. "Umm, we might have a problem. The press found out about the wedding plans...the when and where. It's all over the internet and fans are swarming the marina."

A feeling of dread sweeps through my body. I look at Hanna Jo. She looks down right pissed, which is surprising to me. It's like we've switched personalities. While she's mad, I'm scared. I thought this was the one day that I wouldn't have to be afraid. I turn to the window, staring out without really seeing anything. "What now?"

Hanna Jo stomps her foot. "We are NOT letting them ruin our day."

Denise reaches out and touches my arm. "Jessi?"

I shake my head quickly, trying to remain strong. I can't do it. My voice is a shaky whisper. "I can't...I can't do it."

Brian walks over to me and stands beside me. I look up at him and he smiles softly. "Don't worry Jessi. As usual, Kevin saves the day. Even though you four had a brilliant plan, if there's one thing we've learned in the last twenty years is always have a backup. Nothing is going to ruin your big day. Nick would never allow that to happen."

I manage a small smile. "I know he wouldn't. But...what can we do?"

Brian tweaks my nose. "We improvise. You two get dressed. It's time to put "Operation I Do" into motion."

I can't help it. I laugh and put my arms around his waist, hugging him tightly. "Thank you Brian."

He kisses the top of my head. "Come on Small-Fry. Let's get you hitched."

He walks out of the room, waiting for us in the hallway. I turn around and smile at Hanna Jo. "Guess we should stop making plans with these guys and just fly by the seat of our pants."

She laughs as Denise says, "It's the only way to go when you're dealing with these clowns. Come on, let's get you two ready. I can't wait to see what they have planned this time."


Once we're dressed, Denise wipes her eyes. "You two are beautiful."

I turn to look at Hanna Jo. She is beautiful. Her dress is tea-length with a handkerchief hem. The off-the-shoulder neckline is trimmed with a ruffle and the floral pattern woven into the satin is accented with tiny rhinestones. Not the usual princess-style dress I'd expect from my best friend, but for Ho Jo, this dress is perfect.

I turn to the mirror to critique myself. Long, frilly dresses are not my style at all. My dress is a form fitting simple number. It's short, coming down to just above my knees. The strapless style is accented by a satin cord around the top and a floral print woven into the fabric like Hanna Jo's. The only difference is mine isn't highlighted with rhinestones. They probably would have been pretty on the dress, but it's not me. In my heart of hearts, I think I chose my dress thinking the less flash, the less I'll be noticed. I frown. This is my wedding day. I'm supposed to want everyone's eyes on me, but I don't. I only want Nick's eyes on me.

Hanna Jo comes up behind me. "What's wrong Jessi?"

I shrug. "You look beautiful Ho Jo."

She rubs my arm. "So do you. Your dress is gorgeous." When I remain silent, she whispers, "Are you having second thoughts?"

I turn to her. "About Nick, no. I just..." I turn and stare at the mirror. "I shouldn't be wearing white."

Denise steps up to my other side. "Hush now. All brides deserve to wear white."

I sniffle, blinking back tears. "Not me. My past..."

The older lady grabs my shoulders and turns me around to face her. "Listen to me Jessi. Everyone has a past. Everyone has something they are ashamed of and would like to go back and do over. But we don't get do-overs. We learn and we move on. Your past doesn't change who you are right now. It doesn't define you. You might have made bad choices, but Honey, you've got to move on. It's over. You're here, you're happy and you're a beautiful bride. That's all that matters to Nick...to all of us."

Hanna Jo steps up beside me and we share a group hug. "She's right, Jessi. We all love you...we always will. I let go of my past...can't you let go of yours?"

I nod, feeling their strength and love. "Thank you. Thank you both." I turn to the mirror and look at myself again. "I do love this dress."

Hanna Jo smiles. "It's perfect for you." Denise steps away to get her bag and Hanna Jo lowers her voice to a whisper. "You ready to go marry Mr. Tall-Blonde-and-Sexy Thor?"

I giggle and whisper back, "As eager as you are to marry Mr. Big-Mac-Banana-Man."

She blushes and we both giggle. She whispers, "I'm more than ready for MY wedding night." Her voice changes and she gets real emotional. "I love you Jessi. Thank you for always being there for me."

I smile, hugging her hard, struggling to hold my own tears at bay. "I love you too Ho Jo. Let's go get hitched."


Denise opens the door to find Brian across the hall leaning against the wall holding a shopping bag. He pushes off the wall and steps into the room. He whistles. "I've never seen two more beautiful brides." His eyes travel down to our feet and he shakes his head. "But those shoes aren't going to cut it."

I look down at my feet. "Why? I love my shoes!" And I do. The three-inch heels on my white sandals make me a whopping 5'4". I'm still short, but I feel tall and statuesque.

Hanna Jo isn't wearing heels. She's wearing simple flats with a strap covered with rhinestones snug around her big toes. She looks absolutely precious. 

Brian chuckles. "Look, your shoes are perfect but you'll have to settle for wearing them at the reception. They'll be dangerous at the wedding."

Denise beats me to the question. "Dangerous? Brian, what are you talking about?"

He shakes his head. "I promised to keep my big mouth shut. Just trust me and put these on."

I take the box he's offering me, becoming even more bewildered when I find a pair of white canvas sneakers decorated with rhinestones and silk flowers. I lift my eyes to his. "Brian, what's going on?"

He shrugs. "You gotta have faith Sister. Come on."

Hanna Jo and I share a look before we both sit and change our shoes. I glance up at Brian and whisper, "Whatever you guys have planned...thank you."

He winks at me. "Come on. It's going to be a day to remember."


When he leads us to the roof of the hotel, we just follow in our confusion. The waiting helicopter is a shock to both of us. Denise chuckles and shakes her head. "That's my boys."

Brian helps all three of us climb into the helicopter and the engine begins to hum. Hanna Jo looks over at him. "Thanks for telling them to wait so our hair wouldn't get messed up."

Brian laughs. "A gay man is always going to protect his hair."

As we laugh the engine roars to life. We all sit anxiously waiting for the take off. For my first trip in a helicopter, it seems almost surreal. The flight only lasts a few minutes. When our altitude starts to drop, Hanna Jo and I look out the window. The scene beneath me is, in a word, breathtaking.

Nick and AJ are standing with our friends in the center of the shining black lava fields. Everyone is wearing white and all the women are holding flowers. The helicopter lands at the edge of the field and we sit somewhat impatiently waiting for the blades to stop turning.

Once the door opens, Brian jumps out, helping Denise down first. She turns and walks gingerly toward the waiting crowd. I glance at her feet, surprised to see her wearing sneakers. She must have been in on the plan all along.

Brian helps me down first, then turns to help Hanna Jo. I turn to look at Nick, smiling as he waves at me. Even from this distance I can see the bright smile on his face. It warms my heart to know that in just a few short minutes, he's going to be my husband.

I turn and look at Hanna Jo. She reaches out and squeezes my hand. "Love you Jessi."

I smile at her before taking Brian's arm. "Love you too Ho Jo." I push myself up onto my tip toes and kiss Brian's cheek. "I love you too. Thanks Brian."

He smiles at me, blushing as Hanna Jo kisses him too. He rolls his eyes and says, "You two make me wanna go straight again."

We giggle as we turn and start walking in time toward our grooms. I'm surprised at myself. All the nervousness and fears are gone. I'm as calm as I can be as Brian leads me toward my destiny. Mr. Tall-Blonde-and-Sexy himself...Mr. Nick Carter.