- Text Size +

Project: nkotBSB

By Dottie

Copyright 2014


Chapter 89

 

Jessi

 

After helping me dry off and get dressed, Nick takes me to a local emergency room to have the glass removed from my foot. Once it’s bandaged and I’ve had a tetanus shot, we head back to the beach house in a somewhat ominous silence.

 

When he helps me out of the car, he strokes my cheek.  “Jessi, we need to clear the air about everything.”

 

I sigh nervously taking a cautious step on my injured foot. “What’s there to say?”

 

He sweeps me up into his arms and carries me through the front door.  After gently sitting me on a barstool, he says “First of all, I have never been and never will be embarrassed to be seen with you. Do you believe me?”

 

I nod slowly. “I…I suppose.”

 

He shakes his head. “No.  Don’t suppose. Jessi, you gotta believe me.  If you don’t…then what the hell are we doing?”

 

I bite my lip and reach out for him. When my fist tangles in his shirt, I whisper, “Nick, I’m so sorry. It’s so hard to believe you want me for more than…”

 

He steps closer and puts his fingers on my lips, trapping my hand against his stomach.  “Jessi, stop.  That’s part of the problem. You are always putting yourself down.  It’s not your fault. You made choices you felt you had to. It doesn’t make you a bad person. It makes you human.  I love the you that stood up to Donnie and his family. You’re the one that’s taking a stand to stop him and his douche bag brother from hurting another innocent woman. And you were innocent Jessi. They played on your weaknesses…on your self-doubt. Baby…you are in a word incredible.  Every part of you. You’re beautiful, you’re sexy, you’re smart, you’re brave.  And…most of all…you’re mine.”

 

I feel tears burning my eyes and I whisper, “Nick I love you.”

 

He smiles, bending to kiss me softly.  “I love you.”

 

I lay my head on his chest and he holds me close.  He rubs my back and I murmur quietly, “Will I ever figure this out?”

 

He chuckles.  “Baby, we’re both a work in progress.  You aren’t the only one trying overcome a difficult past.  Plus, you will eventually have to deal with my family. That in itself is scary.”

 

I shake my head against his chest.  “Nothing can scare me now Nick.”

 

He sighs.  “Except Donnie threatening to ruin my career.”  When I don’t speak, he mutters softly, “Jessi, you mean more to me than my career.  I’d walk away now with no regrets. All you have to do is ask.”

 

I look up into his eyes shocked by his words. “NO! Nick you can’t! You…you belong on stage!”

 

He shakes his head.  “No, I belong with you.  If you’re going to spend the rest of our lives worrying about my career, I’ll just take it out of the equation.”  When I just shake my head, he whispers, “Jessi, you better get it through that thick head of yours, YOU are my priority from now on.”

 

I feel my lip quiver. “Nick…I can’t let you…”

 

He kisses me softly.  “I will do whatever it takes to make sure you are happy.  Understand?”

 

I nod quickly.  “I do but…I don’t want you to give up singing.  It’s…you love to perform.”

 

He sighs deeply. “I love you more.”  When I just stare at him dumbfounded, he changes the subject.  “I know a secret about you.”

 

I just shake my head. “Secret?  There are no secrets left.”

 

He laughs.  “There was one, but thanks to Hanna Jo I know it.”

 

I struggle to think of what it could be.  “What are you talking about?”

 

He laughs.  “Can you walk? Or shall I carry you?”

 

I roll my eyes.  “I’m not hurt that bad. Where are we going?”

I hop off the chair and he takes my hand, leading me out the door and down to the beach.  Underneath our canopy is a table set for two.  The sun is setting on the water and the view is breathtaking.  When we get closer to the table my face heats up and I groan. “Oh no!”

 

He chuckles. “Happy Birthday Miss Todd.”

 

I lower my head.  “I’d rather not talk about birthday’s if you don’t mind.”

 

He laughs. “Come on, why didn’t you tell me it was your birthday?”

 

I shrug.  “I don’t know. Guess I was dreading the big 3-0.”

 

He hugs me to his chest.  “Darling, the way you look, you’ll pass for 23 for a LONG time to come.”

 

His compliment makes me blush hotly. I push away from him and stammer, “So you really prefer younger girls? How young?”

 

He lets me go and holds out a chair for me. As I sit, he leans down and kisses my neck.  “I prefer 30 year olds that look 23.”

 

I shake my head as he joins me.  “That’s a cop out.”

 

He lifts my hand and presses a kiss to my wrist. “It’s the truth Baby.”

 

 

We enjoy a leisurely dinner.  As it gets darker, he lights the candle on the cake and whispers, “Make a wish.”

 

I close my eyes and think about what I want most in this world.  The one thing I can’t say out loud.  I open my eyes and stare into his briefly before blowing out the candle.  He takes out his cell phone and lays it on the table.  Music starts playing and he stands.  “Dance with me, Jessi.”

 

I stand and find myself folded in his arms.  I wish I was taller.  More statuesque.  He doesn’t seem to mind but I’d really love it if I could actually lay my head on his shoulder.  Or even reach his shoulders.  As it is, my arms are around his waist and my head rests firmly on his sternum.

 

When I sigh, he stops moving. “What’s wrong?”

 

I pull away from him, leaving my hands resting on his waist.  “I hate being so short.”

 

He laughs at me. Actually laughs.  Just as I’m ready to push away from him and storm back to the house, he takes my hands and puts them on his shoulders before sliding his arms around my waist and lifting me off the ground.  When we’re nose to nose, he mutters, “You’re perfect.”

 

I snort, rolling my eyes in the dark.  “No I’m not. I’m a runt.”

 

One of his hands moves lower and he grips my bottom, his long fingers slipping between my legs.  “Darling, I love you just like this.”  When I sigh, he mutters softly, “I love how tight you are when we make love.”

 

I blush furiously.  “That’s not what I’m talking about.”

 

His fingers apply more pressure between my legs.  “I know.  But I can’t help it.  You’re my beautiful, petite little lady and at this moment I’d like nothing better than to strip you down and carry you into the ocean.”  When my breath catches in my throat, he murmurs, “I want to make love to you Jessi.  I want to lose myself inside you tonight and every night from now on.”  He kisses my neck and licks his way to my ear.  “Jessi…I want to marry you.”