- Text Size +

Project: nkotBSB

By Dottie

Copyright 2014

 

Chapter 93

 

Jessi

 

My time with Ho Jo is interrupted by her phone.  Her mother calling.  From what I heard of the conversation, they aren’t thrilled with AJ telling them they can take a hike, Hanna Jo doesn’t need them.  I must remember to hug that boy.

 

When she hangs up she’s on the verge of tears.  “Jessi, why can’t my family just be happy for me?”

 

I sigh.  “Ho Jo, I’m sure your brothers and sisters WILL be happy for you. Your parents are just life-sucking animals.  They aren’t happy if they can’t make your life a living hell.  You’re the only one that didn’t conform to their ideas.  You have a lust for life.  I’m not saying your siblings don’t, but they found their happiness in that town and they are content.  You aren’t cut out for small town life.”

 

She stares at me with her hand lying protectively on her stomach.  “Jessi, this is their grandchild.”

 

I nod.  “I know. But do you want them doing to that baby what they did to you?” She shakes her head slowly.  “Hanna Jo, you HAVE to stand up for yourself and for AJ.  You love him and he loves you. This baby is the evidence of your love.”

 

She whispers, “But you don’t understand.”

 

I stand up, letting my anger speak for me. “I do understand, Hanna Jo. I’ve known you a long time.  You think your parents are going to call you a whore because you’re pregnant.  You think they are going to label AJ a bad seed because he has tattoos and wears nail polish.  You think they’ll call your baby a bastard.  If you LET them they will.”  I take a deep breath. “Hanna Jo, I know you believe in God.  Do you think a God that loves everyone would bless you with a baby if AJ was a bad seed? Do you think God will punish you for falling in love?”

 

Her tear-filled eyes meet mine.  “I didn’t think you believed.”

 

I sit back down and answer as honestly as I can.  “Hanna Jo, I’ve always believed.  I’ve just been so mad at God for what I’ve been through.  The path he chose for me wasn’t easy.  It’s been full of pitfalls and dangers…but look at me.  I made it through.  I survived.  And I have Nick. How can I not believe?”

 

She draws her knees up to her chest.  “I just wish my parents could accept me for who I am. And accept AJ as…”

 

When her voice trails off a light bulb goes off in my head. “You want AJ to marry you, don’t you?”  When she blushes and looks away, I nearly shout, “You do! You SO want to marry him, don’t you?”

She glares at me. “Can you yell a little louder? I don’t think the lobby heard you.”

 

I roll my eyes. “Hanna Jo, it’s just you and me here so just spit it out.”

 

She jumps up. “OK, YES, I want AJ to marry me!  But I want him to WANT to marry me!  I don’t want it to be because I’m pregnant!” 

 

I lean back and lace my fingers behind my head.  “Hanna Jo, for someone who’s so fucking smart you are completely CLUELESS here.  AJ loves YOU.  He loved you BEFORE you got knocked up.  Don’t you realize that?”

 

She walks to the railing and stares out at the ocean.  “That doesn’t mean he has to marry me Jessi.  He’s never mentioned it.”

 

I walk up to stand beside her and I say, “Listen…Ho Jo…if marriage is that important to you, why don’t YOU propose to AJ?”  When her mouth drops and her head whips around, I know it’s the perfect idea.  “Seriously, let’s go shopping. You buy AJ and engagement ring.  Really!  Come on, it’s the perfect plan.”

 

She stammers, “That’s not how it’s done Jessi.”

 

I laugh. “Since when does AJ McLean follow tradition? Or YOU for that matter?  Come on, admit it, you’d LOVE to put a ring on his finger, wouldn’t you?”

 

I see a smile tug at the corners of her mouth. “Of course I would.  But…” Her smile fades.  “What if he says no?”

 

I throw my arm around her shoulders. “Say no to you?  There’s no way in hell he’d say no to you Hanna Jo!  He’s nuts about you.  Trust me.  This is perfect.  Who knows, maybe we can have a double wedding before the trial.”

 

At the mention of the trial we both fall silent.  She nudges me. “You ok?”

 

I shrug.  “I just wish it would all go away.  Donnie’s willing to plea bargain to keep the trial from happening. He’s even willing to adhere to a restraining order. He wants his family cleared and the agreement is they will all stay away from me and neither side will discuss it publicly.”

 

She sounds as confused as I feel. “So, what are you going to do?”

 

I push away from the railing to pace the balcony.  “I want them to pay for what they did to me.  Both of them.  But...this deal makes it go away quietly and Nick’s career won’t be affected by it.  It’s a perfect way to end it, but…I feel like they are getting away with it.”

 

She’s quiet an awfully long time.  Finally she says, “So, make them pay.”

 

I stare at her.  “How?”

 

She shrugs.  “They make extremely large, widely publicized donations to charities designed to help sexually exploited women get back on their feet.  Maybe even have Donnie do a PSA.”

 

I can’t believe it.  Sweet little innocent Ho Jo has found the PERFECT way to make them pay.  I run to her and throw my arms around her neck. “YOU, Miss Hanna Jo Rogers, are a fucking GENIUS!  I can’t wait to tell Thad!”  As I run for my phone I call back over my shoulder.  “Get ready to go shopping!  We’re gonna go buy AJ the most UNIQUE engagement ring ever and we’re going to plan the proposal!”

 

As I’m waiting for Thad to answer his phone I watch Hanna Jo out of the corner of my eye. I know she’s hesitant.  She’s unsure about all of this.  But I think it’s the perfect idea.  I know AJ loves her and wants to spend the rest of his life with her.  Surely he wouldn’t deny her this one little thing.  Would he?  He fucking better not.  I’ll chop off his balls and go fishing if he does.