- Text Size +
“I’ll text you when she’s gone. And we can do a pizza and movie night?”

“I’ll bring over stuff to make healthy pizzas.” Allayna helped me inside my house. Vanessa was home, but I could hear the TV on in the living room.

“Wish me luck,” I looked up at Allayna.
“You’re doing the right thing. Good luck Carter,” she smiled and walked out the front door.

“Nick is that you?” Vanessa came bounding in the room. “How was your first day?!” She asked and kissed me.

“It went really well. Did you go out?”

“I did for a bit. But wanted to make sure you I was home when you got here.” I nodded my head and went into the living room. Vanessa followed.

“Vanessa we need to talk.”

“Oh no. Something happened at PT?” She sat down on the ottoman and faced me.

“No. Everything was fine. I need to talk about you and I.” I paused studying her facial expression, which read nothing. “I’m not going to sugar coat it. I think you and I should break up.”

“What? What are you talking about?”

“You know and I know, it’s just not working. We barely speak, I don’t feel what we once had.”

“It’s a new transition for us Nick.”

“Yes and no. I think it’s an eye opener.”

“It’s Allayna isn’t it? She told you to-.” At Allayna’s name, my defense rose.

“SHE has nothing to do with this.”

“You’re kidding right? She has everything to deal with this. She has been more of a girlfriend to you than you let me.”

“She’s my best friend.”

“Which I understand but it’s to the extreme. Nick, come on.”

“I will not apologize for her being my best friend. But I will also not hurt you anymore so I am letting you go.”

“Letting me go?”

“Breaking up, whatever you want to call it. You deserve better than what I am giving you.”

“If you see that, then change.”

“Vanessa, be honest with yourself.”

“I saw this coming. Actually talked about it today when I went out. Just didn’t think it would be today.” She finally admitted and gave in.

“I’m sorry for hurting you. We had some great times, but I need to figure out things on my half.”

“One day you’ll wake up Nick.” She said calmly and although I had no idea what she was talking about, I smiled.

“I’ll help you find a place and help pay.”

“That’s sweet. But I’ll just go to Sarah’s. She has an extra room and it’s probably best if we break ties completely.” There was a pause. “I’m going to go pack.”

“I’ll come help.” And that I did. We did it in absolute silence but an hour and a half later, her car was packed with her luggage, a couple boxes and some odd and end things.

“I will miss you.” She said, leaning down and kissing my cheek. I kissed her back.

“I will miss you.” She nodded and got into her car. I watched as she pulled out and then sent a text to Allayna. I had sent one a half hour ago that we were loading her car, and she said she was at the store getting stuff.

“She’s gone.”

“I’ll be there in ten.” She responded and I made my way back to the house.

Once inside, exhaustion took over me. My entire body hurt. I just wanted to lay on the couch, watch TV and take a nap. I rolled over to my large leather couch, the AC felt good compared to outside and knew the cold leather would feel good on my body.

I began to push myself over when the chair slipped from out of me, I landed half on the couch and half on the floor, my back arching in a painful way. My knees slammed into the floor causing more pain.

“Ahh-Dammit,” I said out loud to myself, sliding the all the way to the floor, my back and legs began to cramp and tighten. The pain was too much and I let the tears out. ‘Focus on your breathing Nick,’ I told myself trying to calm down. And that I did. I wanted to roll from my stomach to back but I couldn’t move. I laid there. Allayna would be there soon, I could get some pain killers in me. I’d be fine.


“Sorry, took longer than I thought,” Allayana’s voice echoed from the walk way. “Some idiot was driving really slow in front of me. And of course its double solid line so I couldn’t pass.” Her voice went into the kitchen.
“Allayna-,” I called out but it wasn’t load enough.

“Nick?” She called out, found her way to where the TV was on and then she saw me. “Oh my God. Nick what happened?” I was on the floor sprawled out, my chair on top of my legs. She picked the chair up and knelt down.

“I fell?” I opened one eye.

“Are you hurt?”

“I hurt. But I don’t know if I’m hurt.”

“Should I call an ambulance?”

“No, no. I just- ah.” I tried to sit up. “Everything is tight.”

“Okay. I’m going to get your pain pills and the muscle relaxer. Where are they?”

“Night stand.” She brushed my hair out of my eyes and stood up quickly. Not even a minute passed and she was back with my pills and a water bottle.

“I’m going to have to sit you up to take these.” I nodded my head, knowing that this would be painful. As gently as possible, she rolled me over to my back. Waited a minute to make sure I was breathing, and then knelt behind me. She put her hand under my arms and pulled me to her; she was down sitting in a straddle leaning against the couch. I laid my head back onto her chest.

“You’re okay.” She kept a hand around my middle, the other hand brushing my hair and side of my face. “Just breathe,” I could feel her arm wrap around me tighter, her cheek leaned into my forehead. “You ready to take them?” She asked, opening up both bottles and putting a two pills in her palm. I nodded. She put one pill in my mouth, and lifted the water bottle up to my lips. I took a long pull and swallowed and then repeated with the other pill.

“Can we just sit here for a bit, until they kick in.” I pleaded.

“This was hell of a welcome Nick.” She told me. I nodded, because talking took too much work and dropped my head back onto her chest.

"It's like this huge ass body cramp." I tried to explain. I then felt her fingers start massaging the top of my neck and began to make their way down my back.

"Does this hurt?"

"In a good way." I told her and she got to my lower back, sort of propping me up with her left arm. She then got to thighs and I could feel my body relax into her.

A few minutes later, my body began to feel like it didn’t belong to me. The meds and massage were working.

“Okay.” I told her.

“Ready to move?” She asked looking down.

“Well, if you are. I don’t think I’ll be helping a lot.” She carefully got herself up to her knees, her arms under mine.

“We’re going to go straight back to the couch,” she told me. “On three, one-two-three.” She stood up, pulled me and herself onto the couch, with me mostly on top of her. After she slid out, she picked my legs up, put them on the couch and two large pillows under them.

“Can you get another pillow for behind my back.” Without saying anything, she left the room and came back, adjusting me a bit more.

“How are you feeling?”

“Numb. Thank you. I promise, it’s not usually like this. I think I forgot to lock my brakes on the chair and when I tried to move onto the couch it went from under me.”

“I thought Vanessa beat you up for breaking up with her,” she winked and knelt down on the floor.

“Funny,” I said my eyes started to get heavy.

“You’ve had a long day. Sleep. I’ll make dinner and get the guest room set up for me.”

“I love you Lon.” My eyes were now closed. She kissed the top of my head and got up.


It was dark outside when I woke up, except for the flow from the TV. My body felt heavy when I tried to move. It took me a minute to remember everything that happened. That’s what the pain killers will do.
“Allayna?” I looked over to the chair where shew as sitting, she had her glasses on watching TV.
“Good morning, sleeping beauty. Damn those things knocked you on your ass.”
“That’s why I don’t usually take that big one.”
“You needed it though. Are you hungry? Dinner is in the oven.”
“I am. But need to pee first.” She threw the blanket off from her lap and stood up.
“You didn’t tell me you were going to be this much work,” she laughed and took the blanket off of me. She must have put it on when I fell asleep.
“You can change your mind anytime.” I told her honestly.
“Never. Sit up slow,” she said helping me get to the upright position. My lower back hurt but nothing like before I fell asleep. She brought my chair over, put the brakes on and as I reached over to pull myself on, she put her hands under me. “You’re shaking Nick.”
“Probably from the pills.” I sat on the chair, she positioned my feet onto the foot rest and pushed me to the bathroom.
“Nick, I don’t know if you should do this on your own. You don’t look well.” She said seriously.
“I’ll be fine, I promise. There are some things I have to do on my own.”
“Don’t get me wrong. I don’t need to see anything but really.”
“There are extra safety bars around my toilet.” I told her and she nodded her head.
“I’ll be outside if you need me. Don’t be afraid to-,”
“I’m okay.” I reassured her and went into the bathroom and closed the door. Peeing sitting down for a man is a weird thing. But you do what you gotta do. I pulled myself over, still shaking and taking twice as long as normal but I made sure I was safe so I wouldn’t traumatize Allayna anymore. Finishing up, I washed my hands and opened the door.
“Sorry if I’m too paranoid now. I know that Vanessa was the same way, but seeing you on the floor when I came in.”
“I know. I’m sorry for that. But I’m fine, let’s eat.” She pushed me out to the dining room, and came back out with pizza on a pizza stone, and a fresh salad.