- Text Size +
I rolled in my bed, hiding from the bright Florida sun. I heard a small giggle to the right of me, I opened my right eye and saw Baylee standing there with his stuffed animal. I held the covers up, he slid in and wrapped his arm around me.

“What are you doing up so early, Bay?” I asked in a whisper. My eyes were closed, but I knew he was smiling.

“Couldn’t sleep, Aunt Lay. We get to go to Georgia today.” He said, kissing the corner of my lips. I nodded and smiled.

“Why don’t you go get a bath, I’ll get your clothes out for the day and I’ll get your bags re-packed. Grammy Denise is coming over with Papa Tony for lunch.” I suggested, he nodded and smiled.

“Okay. I can run my water. I’m gonna take a shower.” He said, kissing me once more before he went into my bathroom. I chuckled and sat up, seeing it was 8:34. I heard him run the shower, and the door closing. I crawled out the bed and walked to his room, getting his clothes re-packed. Once I was finished, I picked out the clothes for him to wear and a pair of underwear and socks, and took them back in my room, laying them on the dresser.

I made up my bed, then put his clothes on the bed for him along with his shoes. I heard him laughing before the shower turned off. I walked in the bathroom and handed him a towel.

“Your clothes is on the bed. I’m going down to fix you some breakfast, okay?” I asked, kissing his wet hair. He nodded and smiled. I turned and walked out the bathroom downstairs to the kitchen. Marcus was out with Minky and Monty, I heard doors slam then the doorbell rang.

I walked to the door and saw it was Tony and Denise. “Hey, what are yal doing here so early?”

“Brian called and told us what you wanted to do for Alex. So, we decided to move it forward and just have breakfast.” She said, hugging me tightly.

“Den, we could’ve had lunch still.” I said, hugging Tony in the meantime.

“I know baby, but Alex needs you. I talked to him yesterday and he didn’t sound like himself.” She said, kissing my cheek. “I’ll go make breakfast, you go pack.”

“You don’t have to—“ I started, but she cut me off.

“Go, now.” She said, with a small laugh. “I know where everything is.”

“Okay. I love you Den. I love you Tone.” I said, kissing their cheeks.

“We love you Lay.” They replied in unison. I smiled and retreated back upstairs. Everything was falling into place even more. I would get to see AJ tonight. I took a quick shower and got dressed. I walked in my room and started packing… I ended up over packing, but that’s how I am. As I finished, I walked downstairs with mine and Baylee’s bags and sat them at the door.

“You do realize you got the dates wrong?” Marcus asked behind me with a witty smirk.

“I know, I realized that when I talked to Brian yesterday. They’re in Covington tonight—that’s where we’re going.” I said, “My brain is too big, I have so many day to day memories in my head.”

“Yes Drama Queen!” He said with a laugh. I rolled my eyes and shook my head. We walked into the kitchen, seeing Baylee already eating his breakfast. “Morning Denise, morning Tony.”

“Hey Marc, have a seat. Eat.” She said, placing a plate on the island. He smiled and sat down before he started eating. I walked up behind Baylee and kissed his head, he turned his head and smiled at me. I sat beside him, Denise put a plate in front of me. “Show me the video you done for Alex. Brian told me the plan, I think it’s an amazing idea.”

“I hope so. Brian said he wanted me to sing the whole song, then they’re gonna back me up.” I said, looking at her. She smiled and nodded.

“Make sure you get one of the guys to record it, I want to see his face.” She said with a bright smile. I grinned and nodded.

“I’ll video it.” Marcus said, finishing his plate. I smiled and ate my breakfast, watching Baylee as he finished. He leaned over and kissed my cheek, then got off the stool and walked to Denise. He held his arms out for her to hold him. She gave in and picked him up, hugging him tightly against her.

I felt arms wrap around my neck. Tony. I laid back into his chest and sighed. He kissed my head and rocked us side to side. “Thank you.”

“For what Pops?” I asked, looking up at him. I grabbed my phone and opened the camera, holding it out for us. We smiled as I snapped the picture. He, then, stuck his tongue out, making me laugh. I stuck my tongue out and closed my right eye and looked to my right with my left eye, I snapped the picture and looked at it. Tony and I laughed, I turned around and hugged him tightly.

“Just being you.” He started, “You’re happy with Alex. Alex is over the moon happy with you. You two are the perfect balance.”

“I love him Pops. He’s my everything.” I whispered, looking up at him. He smiled and kissed my head.

“I know you do, baby.” He said, hugging me once more. I slid off the stool and started the dishes.

“Okay, it’s close to 9, you three need to get going.” Denise said, wrapping her arms around my waist. I laid my head on her shoulder, holding her against me. “I love you so much, and I couldn’t be more proud of you.”

“I was thinking about asking him to marry me.” I said, she gasped and pulled away as tears fell from her eyes. She smiled and leaned back against the counter. I ran in the foyer where my bags were by the door and opened the top zipper, grabbing the black box from Jared’s.

I walked back into the kitchen and showed her the custom made ring I had made for him. It was a black gold with black diamonds incrusted in the band all the way around. On the inside it was engraved; Forever yours with my mind, body and soul. –MADA

“This is absolutely beautiful, baby. He’s going to have a heart attack.” She said, looking at the ring. “How much did this cost?”

“Doesn’t matter Den. He’s worth every penny.” I said with a smile.

“Round about, how much?” She questioned with a smirk. I sighed dramatically and giggled.

“Seventy-five thousand.” I said, as if it was nothing.

“Holy shit baby!” She exclaimed, “What is it gold?”

“Yeah, black gold. It’s somewhere from Ireland, the black gold. I love it.” I said, with a smile. She looked up at me and chuckled.

“It’s beautiful and he’s going to shit.” She said, kissing my head. “You didn’t have to spend that much, but it’s the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen in my life.”

“Thank you.” I said, hugging her once more, “I love you Den.”

“I love you, too, baby. You three better get on the road. Please be careful and text me when you get to Jacksonville, as well as Statesboro, okay?” She asked, I nodded and smiled.

“Of course, I will.” I said, as we walked to the foyer. Marcus and Baylee were there talking to Tony. “You two can stay here. Do yal mind Minky and Monty?”

“I’m staying to watch the cooking channel. Denise decided to take it off the satellite.” Tony said, hugging me. “And you know they’re no problem.”

“Well, yal both can stay for as long as yal want to. Thank you so much.” I said, hugging Denise. I looked at Baylee and Marcus and smiled, grabbing mine and Baylee’s bags. We walked outside to the Denali. I put the bags in the bag, Marcus put his in, then got in the driver’s side. I got Baylee in his car seat behind Marcus, then I got in the passengers seat.

“Be careful! We love yal!” Denise yelled as Marcus backed up into the street. I rolled the window down and smiled.

“We will! We love you!” I exclaimed before Marcus drove off. I turned to Baylee and smiled, “Alright Buttercup, what do you want to listen to?”

“You.” He said, “Do that song you always sing to me.”

“Which one?” I asked as Marcus got on 95 heading north to Jacksonville. I grabbed my phone and plugged it into the Auxiliary dock.

“The one you always sing to me.”

I groaned and chuckled, “I sing so many different songs to you, Bay.”

“Okay, I got it.” I said, putting Tony Rich Project’s Nobody Knows. “This is?” I asked, looking back at him. He grinned and nodded.

I pretend that I’m glad you went away, these four walls closing more every day, and I’m dying inside and nobody knows it but me. Like a clown I put on a show, the pain is real even if nobody knows and I’m crying inside and nobody knows it but me.

Why didn’t I say? The things I needed to say? How could I let my angel get away? Now my world is just a tumbling down, I can see it so clearly, but your nowhere around.

The nights are lonely, the days are so sad, and I just keep thinking about the love that we had and I’m missing you and nobody knows it but me, yeah.


I smiled hearing both Baylee and Marcus singing with me.

I carry a smile when I’m broken into and I’m nobody without someone like you. I’m trembling inside and nobody knows it but me. Yeah, yeah, I lie awake, it’s a quarter past three. I’m screaming at night if I thought you’d hear me, yeah my heart is calling you and nobody knows it but me.

Well, well, how blue can I get? You can ask my heart, when like a jigsaw puzzle its bee torn all apart. A million words couldn’t say just how I say just how I feel, a million years from now you know, I’ll be loving you still.

The nights are lonely, the days are so sad, and I just keep thinking about the love that we had and I’m missing you and nobody knows it but me, yeah.

Tomorrow morning, Imma hit the dusty road; I’m gonna find you wherever, ever you might go. Well, I’m I’m gonna unload my heart and hope you come back today. The nights are lonely, the days are so sad, and I just keep thinking about the love that we had and I’m missing you and nobody knows it but me, yeah eeee.

The nights are lonely, the days are so sad, and I just keep thinking about the love that we had and I’m missing you and nobody knows it but me.

Nobody knows it, no, nobody but me.

The nights are lonely, the days are so sad, and I just keep thinking about the love that we had and I’m missing you and nobody knows it but me, yeah.


“That was perfect Aunt Lay!” Baylee exclaimed, making me grin. He laid his head back and turned on his portable DVD player, he put his headphones over his ears and started watching his movie.

“So, have you been to the doctor yet?” Marcus asked, eyeing me. I furrowed my eyebrows and looked at him.

“Why?” I asked, lighting up a cigarette and rolling down the window enough Baylee couldn’t smell it.

“Because I can guarantee you that you’re pregnant.” Marcus said, I was taken aback.

“Why do you say that?” I asked, “Have I gained weight?”

“You have that glow to you. My sister was the same way.” He said, thoughtfully.

“I’m not pregnant, Marc. I promise, I’m on the depo shot.” I said, looking over at him. I bit my lip and looked out the window.

“Do you want kids?” He asked, I nodded and took a drag of my cigarette.

“I’ve always wanted kids, Marc. I had a miscarriage a while back—it wasn’t my fault.” I said, biting the inside of my lip. “I told you about that.”

“You did, I’m sorry I brought it up.” He apologized, but I stopped him.

“It’s fine, Marc.”

“I picture you and J having four kids. Boy then girl, then a set of twins.”

“Marc! I—no! Just no!” I laughed, looking at him like he grew seven heads. “I love kids, I really do, but I don’t know about the four kids. Maybe two.”

“Nope. Four.”

“No, two.”

“Na huh, four.”

“Don’t think so! Two. End of discussion Marc!” I said, laughing loudly.

“Okay, okay. So, what kind of names do you like for a girl?”

“Marc, what’s with all this baby talk?”

“Most woman have names picked out, this is just a conversation sweets.”

I rolled my eyes, “Adalay Jane, Adler James.”

“So keeping the names going, huh?”

“You’re killin’ me Smalls!”

“I like those names. They’re different. I like the fifties names, ya know, Jane and James.”

“Oh yeah, our parents did, too. I don’t know where in the fuck they got Madalay from, but somehow it got in the mix.” I laughed loudly, taking another drag.

“I like your name! It’s fucking unique and badass, girl.”

“That’s what everyone says, but anyways since you know all about my love life. When am I going to get to meet Vanessa?” I asked, taking the last drag of my cigarette before thumping it out into the road.

“Well I was thinking at the show.” He said, not clarifying which show. “I think you’ll like her.”

“Tell me about her.” I said, looking at him.

“She’s thirty, she’s from North Georgia—I met her online actually. She goes to school in Statesboro. She’s a dancer.” He said, looking over at me. I nodded and smiled.

“Any kids?” I asked, he shook his head. “Is she in Georgia now?”

“Yeah,” He started, I grabbed his phone and found Vanessa’s number in his phone. I pressed the call button and put it to my ear.

“Hey, I was just about to call you.” Her voice filled the receiver.

“Hey Vanessa, this is Madalay, how are you?” I asked, hearing her gasp.

“I’m great, and yourself?” She wondered.

“I’m pretty great myself. So, Marcus, Bailey and I are on the way to Statesboro. He said that I’ll get to meet you at a show, but he won’t clarify which show, so, I am inviting you for a two week vacation. Can you come?”

“Oh my god! I just left his house last week before your man left. This is crazy!” She said, making me laugh. I looked at Marcus, who just seemed to be in a loving daze.

“So, you will?” I prodded, making her laugh lightly along with Marcus.

“Is it okay with him?” She wondered.

“I doesn’t matter if it isn’t or if it is. I’m his boss!” I exclaimed, making Marcus laugh loudly. “Kidding, I’m not his boss. But yes, it’s fine. I want to meet you! We’ll be in Statesboro at Ivory Towers about 4ish, if we stay on the schedule. And you can park your car there. Ross will keep an eye on it.”

“Oh my god, this is amazing! Sure I will, I have to pack, but I’ll meet yal there about 4:30?” She wondered hopeful.

“Yes, that’s fine. Can’t wait to meet you!” I exclaimed before we said our goodbyes. I hung the phone up and looked smugly at Marcus. “You’re welcome son!”

“You need to quit watching Martin.” He said, laughing. I rolled my eyes and shook my head.

“So tell me about her.” I said, texting Brian that we were almost in Jacksonville.

“She reminds me of you. Good head on her shoulders, loving and caring. Big heart. She’s tall though, you’re short. She’s like 5’11, and you’re like 5’2.”

“Don’t talk about my height!” I whined, drawing my legs to my chest and looking at him. He chuckled and patted my knee. “Asshole.”

“Oh come on Lay, don’t be mad at me. You are perfect the way you are.” He said with a bright smile.

“That’s right, I can hide in to small spaces that regular height people can’t. Madalay 1, Regular Height and Taller 0!” I exclaimed as we finally come into Jacksonville. We stopped at McDonalds for a bathroom break and lunch. I opened my double quarter pounder and started eating as I continued on 95, ten minutes away from the Florida Georgia line.

After the boys ate, both of them passed out on me. I sighed and smiled to myself. In less than six hours I would get to see AJ, and I couldn’t wait. It made the ride so much easier. It didn’t seem like three hours, but at 4 PM on the dot, we rolled into Statesboro, GA.

I pulled into Ivory Towers and woke Marcus up to let him know that we were at Ivory and I’d run in and sign the papers. He and Baylee stayed in the Denali as I went inside. I opened the door and saw one of my best friends at the desk.

“That’s a beautiful face I haven’t seen in a while!” Ross exclaimed, coming from behind the desk and hugged me tightly.

“How’ve you been?” I asked, kissing his cheek.

“Busy. Business is doing amazing.” HE said with a bright smile.

“Hey! Don’t hog her!” Our youngest artist, Jordy, said coming behind Ross. He grabbed me in his arms and hugged me tight. “I’ve missed you.”

“I’ve missed you, too!” I exclaimed, “Ryan! Taylor! Get your fucking asses up here now!”

“Lay!” I heard the two yell out loud. I giggled as they raced each other to the lobby. I waved at them and opened my arms, hugging them both.

“I know you’re in a hurry, the paperwork is on the desk.” Ross said, slinging an arm around my shoulders. I nodded as we walked to the desk. The paperwork consisted of that I was a silent partner, but still sole proprietor. It was still my shop, every question of finance would come through me for the last decision. Ross would be the manager of Ivory. I reread over the papers and signed my name where need be. “Now go! You’re going to be late.”

“Love you Rossy.” I said, hugging him tightly. “There is a girl that’s going with us. She’s gonna park her vehicle on the side, can you make sure no one messes with it?”

“Love you Lay. Be careful and let me know when you get there. And yes, I will look after her car.” He said, kissing my cheek. I said my goodbyes to Jordy, Ryan and Taylor before I turned to leave. Ross stopped me once more and handed me an envelope before I walked out. With one last wave, I walked out the shop. I pressed the key pad and unlocked the Denali before I got in.

“Marc you need to text Vanessa and ask her how far out is she.” I said, nudging him in his arm. “I don’t know what she drives or what she looks like.”

He jolted up as a car pulled around the side. “That’s her.” I nodded and put the Denali in reverse, then drive going over to her car. She was fucking tall and gorgeous. Marcus and I got out, I smiled as they hugged and kissed.

“Vanessa this is Madalay, Lay this is Vanesssa.” Marcus introduced us. She squealed and smiled widely.

“I’m a fan of yours actually, it’s so nice to meet you! You’re the reason of why I became a dancer.” She said, as I hugged her.

“Thank you so much, that means a lot to me.” I said with a smile, “Let’s get your bags in the Denali and we’ll throw Marcus in the back with Baylee, they can sleep and we can talk.”

“He can sit in the front.” She protested, but Marcus stopped her.

“You can, me and the B-Man is in the back.”

I grabbed her bags and walked to the back of the Denali. Once it opened, I put them in there and closed it. They had already gotten in their seats, I climbed in the driver’s seat. We pulled out of Ivory Towers and headed back towards 301, at the red light we turned left to get on 80. Three red lights later, we were turning left onto Hwy 25 headed towards Millen, Waynesboro, and finally to Augusta.

“Can I just say that I am totally having a fangirl moment?” She said, making me laugh.

“It’s okay. I appreciate it a lot.”

“The book you wrote about your past, it spoke to me. My dad walked out on me when I was a 11; my mom and my step-dad were always there for me. I ended up going to rehab for drugs as well.” She said, “It really helped me a lot. It helped me find myself.”

“I am at a loss for words, Van.” I started, “Not too many people will tell their pasts, they think others will be quick to judge, and yes in some cases there are people like that, but with that being said hearing war stories are amazing, especially ones that you have in common with someone. It warms my heart.”

“It helped me see the light at the end of the tunnel. How you described rehab, how you described the detox—it was scary. It was different for me, I was given the option and I took the road less traveled.”

“I understand completely. I did drugs on my own and like I said in my book, I had someone make do them as well. It changed my whole outlook on life, and now, I feel like I’m on top of the world because Al is back. We’ve been through the same thing: alcohol, drugs, depression, anxiety; that’s what brings us back to each other. We can overlook our pasts because that’s what it is, it’s the past. It has absolutely nothing to do with now and our future.”

“I hope that I can become someone like you. I feel like I’m becoming that person you described in the book after rehab.” She said, as I lit a cigarette. We came into the Millen city limits, and with a blink of an eye, we were out of Millen and headed next for Waynesboro.

“You seem like an amazing woman. I like helping people. I think that if there were more people in this world that like to help others then it would be a better place.” I said, laughing softly hearing Baylee snore.

“I agree a hundred percent.”

“If you and Marcus work out in the long run and you move to Florida, I have a studio where you can teach at if you want.” I said, looking over at her. Her eyes widened and she gaped. “I mean yal have been together for what, a year?”

“Yeah, it’s been a year. A great year. He’s such a good guy.” She said almost in a trance.

“Yeah, he is. He’s helped me a lot. He knows Al just as much as the guys and I do.”

“We met online and had our first date in Savannah. We walked on River Street, the night was amazing. Best first date I’ve ever had. Enough about me, tell me about you and AJ.” She said, looking at me as we come into Waynesboro.

“When we were younger, we were best friend, attached to the hip. My mom died when I was young, my dad walked out on me one night and never came back. Denise, AJ’s mama, took me in. I stayed with her as AJ and the guys started on the road. When she was gone, I stayed with her mama and daddy, which is our Grams and Gramps.” I said, taking a drag of my cigarette, “AJ and I ended up getting in a pretty bad place. He and I quit talking for the longest time, I tried to ignore him—he said some hurtful things when we were younger. I worked with Brian on his solo album, Lauren, my cousin is dating Nick. So, I was out in California on business and he showed up at Lauren and Nick’s. I slapped him, we had words, and now…” I smiled, “Things couldn’t be better between us.”

“Young love never dies.” She said with a dreamy smile.

“You sound just like Marcus.”

“I do not!”

“You do, too! He’s said the same thing.” I retorted, looking in the rearview mirror, seeing them both still asleep. I smiled and felt my phone vibrate, it was Brian. I pressed send and held the phone to my ear.

“Hey Bri,” I said with a big smile.

“Hey Lay, where are yal at?”

“We’re about twenty minutes away from Augusta Regional Airport. Where yal at?” I asked, coming up on a roadblock. “Hold on for a minute, road block and Georgia Boys everywhere.”

“Okay.” He said as I slowed down and put the phone on the console. I smiled, rolling the window down.

“Evening ma’am, we’re just doing a license check.” The State Patrol said, I nodded and grabbed my billfold and took my license out for him. He looked over it and smiled, then handing it back to me, “Have a great evening, beautiful.”

“Thank you sir, you do as well.” I said, as he stepped back and I pulled away. I grabbed my phone and put it back to my ear. “Okay Bri, I’m back.”

“Have a great evening, beautiful,” He mocked with a high pitched voice. I rolled my eyes and chuckled. “So, I talked to the band and they said that they’ll have it worked out to where on the video you get up and walk out, they’ll give you a four count and you start.”

“Okay, great. How’s he today? I haven’t talked to him.”

“He’s alright, He finally ate something, he’s been talking to Nick about something—they’ve been really secretive actually.”

“I bought Al a ring. I’m gonna ask him to marry me.”

“Oh my god Lay! That’s amazing. I want to see it!” He exclaimed, making me laugh.

“I’ll send you a picture when we get to the airport. I’ll send you the flight information as well.”

“Okay, call him and just talk to him. I can’t wait to see the ring, I love you, be careful. How’s Baylee?”

“I will, and I love you, too. And he’s asleep right now.” I said, hearing him laugh.

“He loves sleep, just like his Aunt Lay.”

“You exactly right. We love our sleep. But tell Leigh and everyone I said hey and I love them. I’ll see you soon!”

“Alright, be careful. Love yal, bye.”

“Bye Bri.” I said, hanging up the phone. I clicked AJ’s name and called him.

“Hey baby.” He said with a smile.

“Hey love, what are you doing?”

“Missing you, you know that. Just sitting on the bus with Nick.”

“Well, I’ll let yal get back to the Al and Nick love saga.” I said, laughing.

“No! I want to talk to you. How’s your day been? What are you up to?”

“It’s been long! Marc, Baylee and I are going to Marathon.” I said, “Baylee wanted to ride the bridge.”

“You sure he aint your kid? You love doing that, too.” He said laughing loudly.

“I’m sure. My good tithings has rubbed off on him. I’m a proud Aunt.”

“I know you are, I couldn’t be any prouder of him and you.”

“You okay baby?” I asked, hearing a hint of sadness in his voice.

“Yeah, I am. Just can’t wait to see you.”

“I can’t wait to see you either love. Three days!”

“Three days that can’t get here quick enough.” He frowned.

“I know, but just think three days then you have me forever.”

“That’s the best part. We’re fixing to go to rehearsals then sound check. I’ll call you about 7ish, okay?”
“Okay baby. I love you. Have a good sound check and rehearsal okay?”

“Alright, I love you Mada. I’ll talk to you soon, Angel. Bye.”

“Bye babe.” I said before I hung up the phone. I looked back at Baylee and Marcus; Baylee started stirring in his sleep. “Hey my Bay.”

“Auntie Lay, where are we?” He asked, rubbing his eyes.

“We are almost in Augusta, baby. Did you sleep good?”

“Yes mam, I love you Lay.”

“I love you Bay, are you hungry? There’s a Burger King up here.” I said, looking at him in the rearview. He nodded.

“Can I have the chicken lightenin’s?” He asked, I smiled and nodded, getting in the hammer lane.

“Yeah baby, you want sweet tea to drink and fries?”

“Yes mam.” He said as we pulled into Burger King. Vanessa woke Marcus up; the four of us walked in Burger King. I took Baylee to the bathroom, after he was done I picked him up and carried him back into the lobby.

“Oh my god! You’re Madalay Ramirez!” The woman behind the counter said, pointing at me. I smiled and nodded. “I am a huge fan of yours! The song you done with Boyz II Men was amazing!”

“Thank you, that is so sweet.” I said, before I kissed Baylee’s head.

“If it’s not too much trouble, can I have your autograph and a picture?” She asked, I looked at Marcus and handed him Baylee. I walked to her and stood beside her, she held her phone out and snapped a few pictures. I grabbed the pen and signed her paper she had for me. I hugged her and smiled. “Thank you so much for this.”

“It’s not a problem.” I said, kissing her cheek.

“My day has been made!” She exclaimed, “What can I get yal?”

“I need the six piece chicken nugget kids meal with sweet tea and fries. I want a six piece chicken nugget meal as well with a medium sweet tea.” I said, looking back at Marcus and Vanessa, “What do yal want?”

“Two Whoppers.”

“Two Whopper meals with fries and coke.” I finished the order and grabbed Baylee.

“That will be $15.34.” She said, I smiled and grabbed my credit card, swiping it in the machine. She printed my receipt and handed me a pen so I could sign. After singing, she handed me our cups. I handed Marcus and Vanessa’s cups to them and walked to the drink station. I put ice in mine and Baylee’s cups then filled them with sweet tea.

I moved out of Marcus and Vanessa’s way and found a booth to sit in. I put Baylee down beside me as Marcus and Vanessa made their way to us. They sat down, Baylee leaned his head on my arm. I looked down and wrapped my arm around him, bringing him closer to me.

“If I didn’t know any better, I’d think he was your baby.” Vanessa said, I smiled and kissed Baylee’s head.

“I love this little boy more than anything in this world.” I said, looking at her. She smiled and nodded.

“I can tell.” She started, “It’s amazing though. I bet you’ll be an amazing mommy.”

“Well when that day comes, I hope so. This little boy has my heart.”

“Aunt Lay when are you and Uncle J gonna get married like mommy and daddy?” Baylee asked, I furrowed my eyebrows and looked at Marcus, who just gave me a nod.

“Is that what you want?” I asked, he nodded against my arm.

“Yes mam. That way I can come stay with yal when you have a baby.”

“Well maybe one day we will, okay? You know you can come stay with us any time you want to.”

“I know. I miss you when I’m home.” He said, as the woman called our number for our food.

“I miss you, too, baby.” I said, making him smile. I excused myself and got up to get our food. Once I got it and returned to our table, I started fixing Baylee’s food for him. As he started eating, I began eating my meal. Marcus and Vanessa were acting like the perfect couple, talking back and forth. I couldn’t help but smile as she blushed.

Soon enough, we were on our way to Augusta Regional. We got there, Marcus grabbed our bags, and I held Baylee in my arms as we walked into the building. I gave the secretary my information and she gave me four tickets. After paying for them, I sent a quick text to Brian to tell him our plane will be leaving in fifteen minutes. He demanded the picture of the ring. I chuckled and quickly sent him the picture.



My phone vibrated, it was a text from Brian: Holy shit! That is so beautiful and so AJ! He's going to love it. Love you!



I smiled and replied: That's the point Bri. I hope he does, at least. Love you.



“Augusta, GA to Covington, KT now boarding at Gate 4 Delta Airlines.” The man on the PA said. The four of us made our way down the terminal to Gate 4. I handed mine and Baylee’s ticket to her, followed by Marcus and Vanessa. She told us to have a great flight, we thanked her and made our way down the hall to the plane. Baylee sat beside me, holding my hand tightly. We put our seatbelts on and waited for the plane to take off.



It wasn't but fifteen minutes later, we were ascending in the air to our destination.