- Text Size +
Flying was one of the easier things that Nick tried to learn, or at least he thought so. He did not remember much of his life before the accident, just bits and pieces. Even then he wasn't sure if they were real or not, because nothing made sense and it was frustrating. Learning to fly was a great distraction. He wondered how he caught on so fast, although it seemed like he picked up new skills quite easily. Back when they were first escaping Sienna’s ship, he’d never used the guns on the ship but it seemed to come easily to him then too. Perhaps this was another one of his powers shining through, although he wasn’t sure what exactly his power was or how to use it. Things were such a jumble right now. All he wanted was to go home, back to that island and be at peace. Go home and not have to worry about any of this, even if it meant stealing a ship and going back on his own without telling anyone.

“You’re doing great, kid.” AJ said, patting him on the back as he came out of the flight simulation chamber.

“I am sure flying a real ship is more complicated.” Nick laughed, following him out into the hallway towards the mess hall. The two of them got some food rations and sat down to eat, talking amongst themselves when Kevin walked over.

“Hey, Kevin...I was wondering when I’d see you in here. Come and sit down with us. We were just about to have something to eat, Nick was saying it’s been a while since you’ve all eaten or slept.” AJ said. Kevin looked at AJ with narrowed eyes, he knew that he was friendly but it was odd for him to be so welcoming to someone he did not know, especially knowing who Nick and Brian were. AJ was putting on quite the show for someone who Kevin had warned ahead of time of their need for sanctuary.

“Can I talk to you?” Kevin asked. AJ told Nick he’d be right back and the two of them went off to the side, well out of Nick’s hearing range.


“What’s wrong?” AJ asked, dropping his voice to a whisper.

“What exactly are you up to with Nick?” Kevin whispered, glancing over at him. Nick eyed them suspiciously, continuing to eat his food.

“I’m not up to anything. I’m teaching the kid to fly. He could help us.”

“Alex, I thought I told you before we left to come here that we were not participating in the war. I explained that already to you. Nick is not to fight...he’s a Healer and we can’t afford to lose him.” Kevin hissed. Alex’s eyes grew big and he seemed excited to find out this bit of information.

“A Healer...are you sure? I thought that race died out. Does she know he’s a Healer? What if she comes here?” he said in a panicked whisper. The last thing he wanted was for Sienna’s army to come and destroy this base he had created on the Moon, one of the few colonies of Earthlings left in the Inner solar system. Sure there were others hiding, but they all looked to his base for hope, a place to come if they should ever be in danger. Without the Moon base they were likely finished.

“You’re not to tell anyone about this, but yes...we are sure. Brian was supposed to keep him safe and teach him until he could use his powers, but he failed. So right now he is a bit useless to us. He can heal but not by his own will and it only works when he and Brian are together. We have to make sure that they are not separated. Nick leaving this base will ruin everything that my father put into place.” Kevin said just above a whisper.

“How are you absolutely sure he is a Healer, then?” Alex asked, dropping his voice even lower.

“Because, Alex….I’ve seen him do it. He was put under many tests as a child and we kept him hidden from her. It’s the real thing this time. He’s the last of his kind. He also does not remember anything and I’d like to keep it that way. He’s better off being completely oblivious.” Kevin explained.

“I don’t think you have any idea what this could mean. We could finally beat her now that we have a Healer again….I’m so sorry I doubted you all those months ago when you told me you’d found one. When he finds out about this, he will not like it. You need to talk to him before he does something stupid. You do know he’s planning on leaving? You know what that means if he leaves, don’t you?”

“Oh, I know exactly what it means, and I’m not letting you continue these flying lessons for that reason. You’re telling him you changed your mind.” Kevin said softly.

“Changed your mind about what?” Nick asked, suddenly appearing in front of them. Kevin and AJ nearly jumped out of their skins when they saw Nick standing there, crossing his arms and looking angry.

“Shit...uh…” Alex blurted.

“Nick…” Kevin started, as he brushed by them and pushed them aside.

“I am not as stupid as you all think! Why is everyone fucking lying to me? I just want to go home, why can’t anyone understand that? I was happy there, at least nobody lied to me!!!” he shouted loud enough for other people to stop and stare at the three of them. Alex shrugged as he shook his head at Kevin for starting the whole thing.

“I told you he wouldn’t like it if he found out…” he said, his face in Kevin’s as he went down the hall after Nick, calling his name. Nick ignored him.



Brian sat alone in the room by himself, laying with his head facing the ceiling as a dizzy spell washed over him. Sweat beaded on his forehead and he tried to calm himself down, fighting off an anxiety attack. He didn’t know what was going on and all he knew was that he did not like it.

“Nick…” he breathed softly as Nick stormed into the room, slamming the door behind him. He paced back and forth, tears streaming down his face….clearly upset. Brian tried to read his thoughts but they were clouded, a jumble of emotions. Anger, confusion and fear...emotions that Brian did not like to see. Emotions he had not felt from Nick in some time..not since they first met again after the accident. He could feel the nausea starting already and fought that off as well, sitting up to look at Nick pacing.

“I...I didn’t know you were here.” Nick stammered through sobs when he realized someone was watching him.

“Nick, please talk to me.” Brian pleaded.

“You...all...lied..”

“Nick...it’s not what you think. Please listen to me…”

Nick was full on crying now and the tears spilled down his face, his blue eyes swimming. Brian walked over, reaching out to embrace him but he pulled away.

“Please..” he begged softly, reaching again. Nick closed his eyes shut, trembling as he continued to cry. He felt so angry, angry that he was the last one to know everything and had no control whatsoever. He wished that he had never woken up.

“Nick, let me help you. Please trust me. I’ll tell you everything…” Brian said suddenly. He knew Nick would be angry with him, but he knew that it was the only way Nick would trust him again. Things were such a jumble right now, it had to work.

“Everything?”

“Everything.” Brian promised, his arms wrapped tightly around Nick. They parted and Brian gave him a few moments to cry. Nick felt safe and warm, something he had not felt at all since waking from his coma. It was then he knew he could trust Brian.

Nick opened his eyes, wiped them and looked at Brian, their eyes reflecting in one another’s like the day they found each other again. He gave a small nod and Brian put his arms around him again, rubbing his back as Nick cried into his shoulder.

It was time for Nick to know the truth.