- Text Size +

“Brian, are we ever going back home?”

Brian looked over the campfire at Nick, who’d set his plate down after the fish dinner they just got done eating. This question often came up, but Brian could never give him a clear answer. He didn’t know exactly where home was. He’d lived in and out of infirmary walls until Nick came along. He’d never really truly had a home of his own until he was with Nick on this island. Was this what home felt like?

“Home as in back on the base with Kevin?”

Nick nodded but made a face.

“I dunno. I don’t really like it on the base. People treat me funny. Is it home for you?”

“I don’t think I’ve ever had one.” Brian said finally, staring off into the crackling flames in front of him and watching the embers float into the star dotted sky.

“Well, I guess then neither have I. What is a real home like?”

Brian smiled at him, folding his knees into his chest and sighing. The two of them had been in hiding on the island for so long that he did not remember much from living on the base with Kevin aside from all the time he spent in and out of the infirmary being sick. He blocked most of it out so he did not worry Nick, but their situation was dire if they were found. Nick was the last Healer and his life was in danger even more so when the two of them were together.

“Remember when you asked me this back on the base right before we left to come here? What did I tell you then?” he said, hoping Nick would remember.

“You said that home was where you hang your heart.”

“Yes.”

“I don’t understand what that means, though.”

Brian picked up the stick next to him and stoked the fire some more, making the flames grow brighter.

“It means that home is wherever you feel comfortable. Home is where your heart is, where your loved ones are. It can be wherever you want.”

Nick nodded and moved closer to him, smiling.

“This feels like a home to me. Can it be our home? I like it here...I like being here with you, Brian.” he whispered as he put his arm around Brian’s shoulder and squeezed him gently. Brian felt the sudden warmth flow through him. It was a new sensation that he’d not felt before, a calming sensation that felt like drinking a hot cup of tea. He liked feeling that peace with Nick and for the first time in his life...Brian felt loved. For the first time in a long time, he hadn’t been sick. They didn’t have to worry about the war. Nobody bothered them.

It was then that he decided not to teach Nick about his powers and just live their lives on this island together….where nobody could take Nick away from him. Where they could be happy. Who cared about the war? They didn’t have to go back because Nick was the last Healer and in danger...so what was the rush? Staying here meant they were both safe.


“Brian, we have to go...come on!!!”

Nick was shouting as Brian snapped out of his thoughts, before grabbing his hand and pulled him down the hallway as it began shaking from explosions happening around the base.

“Where are we going to go?” Brian asked breathlessly as they ran. His heart was racing, he did not like war or fighting because it would make him sick again. That was why he and Nick went into hiding the way they did, far away from the war. Brian was healthy and they were both happy. Just like Nick, he wanted to go back there and not be in the middle of this at all. He’d give anything to go back home.

“Make your way to the holding bay where our ship is. Even if we can’t get to ours, we can try something else.” Kevin shouted behind them. Nick assumed that this meant they were going to try to find a ship to get away in, but he knew deep down this would not be possible. This wasn’t like back on Sienna’s ship when he and Brian got away, it was different somehow. Nick had a feeling that they were not going to escape that easily.

They raced down the corridor towards the holding bay where they came into the base. Things shook as another explosion went off, they were definitely under attack. People were scrambling to various ships, trying to prepare to flee or fight if they had to.

“Where the fuck is AJ?” Kevin asked, catching up to them. They saw their ship not far away, facing the holding bay doors. Alarms were sounding and a voice came over the speaker to warn they were under attack.

“He said he’d meet us, didn’t he?” Brian asked worriedly.

“I hate to break it to you, but I don’t think AJ is coming.” Nick pointed out, rolling his eyes.



“What do you mean, Nick? I’m right here.”

They all turned around to see AJ standing behind them, his arms folded and a smile on his face. Several guards were on either side of him holding lasers. Nick instinctively backed away and Brian moved in front of him, his arms outstretched to protect him. They knew that something was very wrong.

“What is going on here? I thought you were helping us.” Brian asked.

AJ laughed softly, stepping towards them.

“See, you’re right about one thing. I am helping.”

“Brian...I got a bad feeling about this.” Nick whispered into Brian’s ear. Brian could feel Nick’s fear creep into himself and felt cold.


They all took a breath when they saw Sienna appear from behind the row of guards. More guards followed, moving in around them and surrounding them.

“...I’m just not helping you.” AJ finished.

“Give me the Healer.” Sienna demanded.

“My name is Nick….and I am not going anywhere. You lied to me.” Nick shouted as one of the guards made to grab him. Brian moved closer, pushing a barrier between the guards and Nick and putting a wall between them.

“All I was trying to do was help you. I did not lie. Now, come with me to Motrale. Or I will have to use force if you do not go willingly.”

“Bullshit.” Nick snapped. Brian glared at Sienna, stretching his arms more to protect Nick. Sienna glared right back.

“Move aside.”

“NEVER.” Brian spat at her.

Kevin stood there frozen in fear as he watched all of this, his green eyes moving from Sienna to his cousin and back to Nick. Wondering what was going to happen. Hoping that this did not end like the night his father was murdered for protecting Nick. All he knew was that he did not want Brian to end up like him. If anyone deserved that it was him, for giving Sienna Nick and Brian’s location on the island they were hiding on. He deserved it for leading her right to them and then lying to Brian. He deserved it all.

“You will move or be killed-“

“NO!!!” Nick screamed, as he was immediately restrained by Brian. He struggled against Brian’s weight, his face red. Brian felt dizzy, letting Nick’s anger slowly consume him.

Kevin moved in front of the two of them, surprising everyone. Nick stopped struggling to look at him in concern.

“Kevin, what are you doing? Are you insane?” Brian demanded.

Sienna laughed and so did AJ until she put up her hand, then he stopped. The guards gripped their laser guns, getting ready to fire if needed.


“You are not taking them anywhere, and you are not killing anyone. You’ve killed enough members of my family. When are you going to be satisfied?” Kevin shouted.

Sienna walked towards him, her face in front of Kevin’s so close he could feel her breath.

“Say hello to your father for me.” she whispered, curving her lips into a smile. She signaled and the guards fired, the blasts echoing in the hallway. Nick had to hold Brian back, who was crying as he struggled to get to his cousin, but he managed to lead Brian away. Brian fell to the ground, wailing as the lasers finally stopped, everything going silent once more.

Brian felt as if his heart broke into a thousand pieces, the last member of his family was gone. Angry tears fell down his cheeks as NIck held him, the two of them crying.

This was war.