- Text Size +
“Keep behind me, and don’t make any sudden noise- we don’t want to alert her guards. They patrol the hallways all over the ship.” Brian said, shushing AJ as they slowly got off their ship once they were aboard Sienna’s. Nobody seemed to be around, which didn’t sit well with Brian because he expected to be ambushed as soon as they got off their ship. Part of him wondered if this was a trap and they were walking right into it. Brian tried using his power to feel out the situation, but he only gave himself a headache because everything was so foggy. 


"Yeah, because I'm just totally gonna start calling attention to us for no reason." AJ scoffed. Brian rolled his eyes and shushed him again. They continued, stepping carefully and making sure they were not seen as they headed for the holding rooms where Brian remembered being when Sienna had taken him captive. It was not far from the holding bay. 






“Your Majesty?”


Sienna sat in her chamber with her eyes closed, breathing deeply in annoyance when she heard the guard enter. 


"Your Majesty?" 


"I told you not to disturb me here unless it was an emergency." Sienna said in a low voice. 


"Well, I thought-" 


"SILENCE!" Sienna shouted, causing the guard to jump back. She smiled at him because she sensed his fear. She enjoyed the fear she had put in her guards, they knew better than to disobey her. 


"Your-y-your Highness, s-someone has boarded our ship-" the guard continued, but Sienna swiftly fired at him without as much as a reply. He lay silent on the floor, his clothes singing slightly until two more guards appeared to take the body away. 


"No one is to disturb me." Sienna instructed, and the other two guards nodded apprehensively.  


Her attention went back to her thoughts. She knew the humans were aboard. She also knew that Alex had disobeyed orders and left the Moon, she'd deliberately slowed down the ship so they'd catch up to her. The fact that the Empath was aboard delighted her because he did not know what she had done with the Healer. Being an Empath herself, she was able to trick the Healer into a false sense of security where she could once again put him into a coma and do a memory wipe. The Healer would have no memory of the Empath. With the Healer having no memory, the two humans were not able to use their powers, and were not a threat to her. 






“Do you know where we are?” AJ whispered as they rounded yet another corner. 


“I still can’t sense anything.” Brian replied. 


“That doesn’t answer my question.” 


“AJ, this really worries me because I should be sick right now. If we were connected, like we were before- I would be really sick.” 


“Isn’t it good that you’re not sick?” AJ asked in confusion. 


“Well, in a way. This worries me because it means you were right, something is really wrong. Last time this happened, he had been in a coma. I didn’t know this until he told me later that they lied to him and told him he was in a coma due to an accident. He didn’t even know he’d left Earth until he saw a window on our way to escape this place.When we were in the hidden city, Nick regained some of his memories and I started to get sick again.” 


“Why were you sick in the first place?” AJ asked as he tried a locked door. There was a keypad but he didn’t know the combination so they left it alone and kept moving. 


“Nobody knows. It was a mysterious illness. They ran so many tests. I spent a lot of my childhood in the infirmary, until Nick came along. They had him locked up somewhere on the base and I had never seen him before. All I remember is that when he came to live with us, I stopped being sick.” Brian said. He didn’t have many memories of his childhood before Nick came into his life, and had never thought to question any of it. Kevin only said that he was ill and they were trying to find a cure. Nick healed him and it seemed that things would be okay. AJ and Brian were silent for some time as they continued their search for Nick on Sienna’s ship until AJ spoke again. 


“I was just thinking about something.” 


Brian turned to look back at him, still silent. 


“Do you know why Sienna wants Nick so badly, or why she killed all of the Healers in the first place? I am sure Kevin must have told you at some time what she was up to.” AJ asked. Brian tried another door, thinking about conversations he had with Kevin before he died. Nick was pretty young at the time, and had no idea of the outside world outside of the base where they lived. 





“Kevin, why do we have to stay here on the base? Why can’t Nick and I ever go outside? I know there is a war and all that but why can’t we help? Nick’s not happy being cooped up all the time. He wants to be free.” Brian begged after yet another training session where Nick had passed out. He had to be rushed to the infirmary and Kevin said he wanted him back to finish the training for the day after he was looked over, which made Brian very upset. Brian didn’t like how Nick was being treated. A lot of the time he wasn’t even referred to by his name. 


“The boy needs to learn how to use his powers, and he’s far too valuable to us to lose right now. You have no idea how much we would lose if something were to happen to him. He’s not even safe on this base. That’s why we have to move every so often, so he’s not found. The enemy is looking for him everywhere and if she discovered that we had him, the consequences would be dire.” Kevin explained as they walked down the hall towards the infirmary. Brian felt his temper rising. 


“His name is Nick, Kevin. He’s human just like you and I are. He deserves to see something other than these walls, to see the sky, an ocean. He’s never known anything but the military base. I want him to experience things. He’s just a teenager.” 


“Why is this so important to you?” Kevin asked, rolling his eyes. Brian looked down at his feet. Why was this so important to him that Nick was happy? It wasn’t like he loved him any more than a brother. Many times he listened to Nick cry because he didn’t understand what was going on.  All Nick wanted was to be happy and he made it clear that he wasn’t. 


“Nick is a child. You’re treating him like a prisoner.” 


“He’s not a prisoner. I care about him too, but unfortunately we cannot take any chances that she will find him here. We are going to continue with the training. In the event that you do have to flee, you will take over his training. You will show him how to use his powers. The two of you are connected. He won’t be able to do this without you.” Kevin instructed wearily. 


“Do you think it will come to that? We’ve been here a few years, I don’t see a reason that she would find us here. We’ve been lucky so far.” 


“Luck doesn’t mean anything, Brian. You don’t know how Sienna is. When she wants something she will stop at nothing to get it. Right now, she wants Nick. For what, I don’t know. The creatures that live on Motrale have a mysterious illness. My father told me that was why they needed Healers in the first place. They found the Healers but none have been strong enough to help them. So Sienna was looking for someone to fulfill the prophecy, which was that an Empath and a Healer coming together would in turn end the war and bring everyone together.” 


“An Empath and a Healer? Kevin, aren’t I an Empath? Is that why you have to hide me too, because you told me as long as Nick and I are together we are in mortal peril.” Brian said, his eyes wide. They entered the infirmary where Nick was laying in a bed being examined by one of the nurses. He was unconscious still, but stabilized according to the nurse they spoke with. 


“Yes, that is why you need to listen to what I tell you and not do anything rash. I know the situation is frustrating but if we are going to beat them we need the two of you.” Kevin said, dropping his voice to a whisper. Brian nodded as he looked upon Nick, watching his chest rise and fall as the lump appeared in his own throat. 






“AJ, Kevin did tell me some things. Supposedly, Sienna killed the Healers because Kevin’s father betrayed a deal he had made with her planet. The war started because she had come looking for help for her baby that was sick and he told her there were no Healers left. When Kevin’s father went to warn the Healers, he discovered that their village was destroyed and everyone was murdered. How they found Nick, I don’t know. Maybe she missed him when she killed them all.” Brian said after he had come to yet another locked door. He tried the keypad and couldn’t get it to open. 


“Sienna had a son?” AJ asked, adjusting the blaster gun in his belt. 


“Yes, he was very sick and that’s why she came to Earth in the first place, to look for someone to heal him. Something went wrong and that was what started this war in the first place. Something happened to her child. This is all for revenge. This is why she is trying to exterminate the human race, all because her son died at the hands of the humans.” Brian told him. AJ paused for a moment, thinking before he spoke again, something that had been on his mind for a little while now and hadn’t been brought up.


“Did you ever consider that you were the baby?”