- Text Size +
The next time he caught a glimpse of what was to come, was a few months later. He’d soon grown bored of the NKOTBSB show, so he hadn’t seen much of it since the beginning. That night, however, his mother had finally been able to convince him to come and watch. Whatever, he was bored anyways, since the picture book was done and his iPad broken so it wasn’t like he had things that were more appealing to do. Besides, James was gonna be there too and he was a cool, albeit a bit peculiar little dude and Baylee liked him. When he was around James, it felt like he had a little brother and he had wanted a little brother since forever now. He’d told his parents that once, and they had just laughed, not taking him serious for one bit, which was stupid, because he should be able to have a say in whether he got a little brother or not. Not a sister, of course. Never a sister.

Ew.

He did his best to look bored as his mother handed him his backstage pass, but in truth, he felt a little bad for not coming to watch the show more often. He really loved the atmosphere of the pre-concert buzz that was going on. There were people running in a hurry through the hallways and hastily preparing last minute stuff, just so that his dad and his dad’s friends could go and sing. The energy all around was exciting and soon, Baylee found himself running as well. Mom was shouting something at him, probably to be careful, while Baylee dashed through the halls like he owned the place. People that saw him either gave him an annoyed, strange look, or happily and randomly high-fived him as he was speeding past them. He didn’t go far; just to the end of the hallway and then back again, before his mom flipped out. Mom flipped out about everything and nothing and Baylee couldn’t have that done today. He almost bumped into a big, muscled guy that was doubtlessly a bodyguard and looked up at the mountain of a man. He had to lift his head all the way up to be able to see the man’s face and smiled brightly when the giant winked at him. He was incredibly big, much bigger than Dad, but Baylee was fairly certain that Dad was much stronger.

“Bye!” Baylee called before taking off again towards the spot where his mom was looking at him and shaking her head. Instead he made a sharp turn and lifted an unsuspecting James, who was impatiently hopping from one foot to another while waiting for his mother, high up in the air. The small three year old cried out in surprise, then in joy as Baylee reveled him around.

“Don’ let go!” James shouted and Baylee kept a strong hold on the little boy’s arms and then set him back on the ground.

“No! Again!” James insisted and Baylee smirked, feeling like an awesome big brother.

“Show starts in two minutes,” A voice interrupted over the speakers in the hallway, just as Baylee was about to pick James up again.

“Again!” James called out, ignoring the small crowd of people that moved towards the backstage to watch the show.

“Dude, we have to watch the show,” Baylee informed him, “Daddies are gonna perform!”

“Yours too?” James wondered, looking at him with big brown eyes.

“Duh, he always does,” Baylee replied, a little annoyed that James still didnt seem to understand that concept yet. “They’re a group, you know.”

“Oh.” James thought about that for a second, “Mine sings better than yours.”

Baylee scoffed, incredulous that one could even make such a suggestion, “No way, little dude. In your dreams.”

James shrugged before running towards the back of the stage, eager to get his hair ruffled by his father right before the show would start. Baylee quickly looked beyond Howie and saw his own dad standing off to the back. He seemed a bit lost in thought, but when he met Baylee’s eyes, he smiled and gave him a thumbs up. Baylee grinned back and waved furiously. Then the voice was on the speakers again and the music started. A shock seemed to travel through his dad and Baylee watched as he and the other eight men took their place on the platform behind the curtain. Dad got to stand in the front, and not because he was short, like Nick had told Baylee the reason was, but because he was awesome.

Baylee watched the group with a proud smile as the platform began to rise. He noticed his dad’s hand shook slightly as they got higher and higher up and Baylee knew that his father didn’t particularly like this part of the show where they had to get up really high. But he did it anyway, because he was awesome. The first song was extremely loud and Baylee could barely hear the singing over the music. It was some kind of super-song that had two songs mashed together and it usually sounded great, but today he noticed it was kinda messy and noisy. After the song was done, the Backstreet Boys got off stage and Baylee smirked as AJ leaned down to give him a high five and Dad stuck out his tongue at him.

Baylee relished in the attention he received every time BSB went off stage to give the spotlight to NKOTB and vice versa. Joey messed up his hair and Jonathan had a real hard time arm wrestling with him. It wasn’t until halfway into the show that he noticed something off. It was one of the slow songs, where you could actually hear the voices above the music and the screaming fans. He had been watching Nick from behind, who was jokingly pretending to sleep. Baylee knew that Nick didn’t get to sing much in this song and he always seemed to make fun of that fact. Baylee laughed at his antics, even though he’d seen the joke a hundred times already, and then-

“And I, know you’re 'fraid, to-oo let your feelings sho-ow.”

There was a strange crack in his father’s voice and for a moment Baylee wondered if maybe his dad was watching Nick’s extended joke as well and was accidentally cracking up. Baylee couldn’t see him from where he was standing, so it was possible. Then Dad’s voice did it again and Baylee wondered if maybe he was doing it on purpose because of another joke that he didn’t understand because he couldn’t see him. Smiling, he looked up at his mom and his grin immediately vanished as he saw the unmistakable glistening of tears in her eyes. Baylee’d seen her cry quite a few times before, mostly during really sad movies or TV shows, but since they weren’t watching TV right now, it gave him a very uneasy feeling. He slowly let his gaze return to the stage and when he finally caught sight of his father, who was waving and smiling at the females on the side, Baylee noticed that his father’s smile never reached his eyes.