- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Back with a new chapter. Thanks for reading!!
Ever since Russell was a little boy, he felt rebellious. He never listened to his parents, never listened to his teachers. He didn't even listen to the police.....the only one he would listen to was Chloe. He loved his sister because she understood him better than anyone. She understood all he wanted was to be noticed, because their older brother Jason seemed to get all of the praise. He loved to rub it in Russell's face as well, gloating whenever he had the chance. He was their golden child, the eldest in the family that seemed to do no wrong. Russell was the middle child, and Chloe the youngest. Jason often picked on him because he was not successful.

"I just made the squad...and what have you done, brother? Still working on your little paintings?" Jason said when he came for dinner one evening. He'd graduated police academy with flying colors and placed in the local police department on the squad.

“I like to paint.” Russell replied.

“You won't get far in life being a painter. Why don't you get a real job like me and dad? If you'd gone to Academy…”

“I told Dad I didn't want to be a police officer. I want to be a painter.”

As a young teenager Russell often got into trouble with graffiti until his mother bought him some paint one Christmas. Ever since, he'd stayed out of trouble and just kept to his art. However, Jason and his father disapproved. Their family was a long line of officers in the community. The Sawyers were well respected.

Jason walked over to the easel where Russell was painting a portrait of a field of sunflowers. Painting was the one thing Russell was good at and he was proud of his work, his sister often admired his art and hung some of them in her room.


“Chloe says that I am going to be a great artist.” Russell said proudly.

“Is this what you're working on?” Jason asked, pretending to be interested. His brother didn't see the mischievous twinkle in his eyes when he saw the black paint.

“Yes, I am almost finished with it. It's a present for Chloe’s birthday.”

Jason leaned down and looked at the painting, making a face. He grabbed for a jar of black paint, despite Russell's protesting. He threw it at the canvas, long angry drips running down the surface.

“Too bad. Guess you will have to start over.”

He laughed and walked away, leaving his little brother with the ruined painting.

Russell growled with anger, his fists clenched. He hated Jason. He'd have strangled him then if he could get away with it. One day he'd show them all he was important.




He actually hadn't minded his job as a roadie, he got a free place to sleep with his cousin, food was basically included. It was good pay too. Everyone liked him. He would have forgotten his revenge if it hadn't been for that poor girl outside that night before one of the shows.

"Please, I just want to meet Nick. It's been a huge dream of mine...I have been a fan since I was ten. Can you help me? You work for them right?"

The girl had looked just like Chloe so Russell didn't mind trying to help her any way he could. Her name was Maria and she had the prettiest green eyes Russell had ever seen. She wore a Backstreet Boys T shirt and had "I love Nick" drawn on her face. She seemed harmless.

Although he could probably get into trouble he snuck her backstage, making sure that nobody questioned him. Once they got to the dressing area, Russell was really surprised to already see a few girls standing there. Some were dressed extremely skimpy and looked older…some younger. Blondes, brunettes, and redheads. Different heights and weight. All seemed to be waiting for something.

“Do you think he'll come out?” Maria asked.

“I don't see why he wouldn't. I'm sure he'd love to meet a fan. These guys love their fans.” Russell smiled. He'd often observed the guys meeting fans outside of hotels and anywhere else, always stopping for autographs and photos. After what seemed like forever, the door opened and a puff of smoke came out. Nick stepped through, he looked different than he had that morning when Russell talked to him backstage. Something seemed off. His face looked sunken and his eyes were distant, cold. He had not had makeup or hair done yet for the show. He looked like he just woke up.

“Ladies…” he said with a smirk, and the girls started chattering. He stood there for a while, looking them over while his bodyguard waited nearby in the doorway.

"Hey, Nick....can you just take one picture with her, please? She's been waiting all day. Her names Maria." Russell called when Nick made his way over. He seemed like he didn't want to be anywhere near fans right now. Maria frowned.

“Hi, Nick.”

He made a face and scoffed.

"She ain't my type." came the reply. Nick didn't even look at the girl.

"She just wants to meet you."

"I'm busy."

The girl was near tears when Nick turned the other way towards the group near his dressing room.

"You....and...okay, you." He said, with the air of choosing people to play basketball with. Russell approached him again, determined.

"Come on, you owe me. I always let you bum cigarettes. Just do me this one favor, please."

"I don't owe you shit, yo. I already told ya, that chick ain't my type.....sorry. I got business to attend to." Nick laughed. Russell cringed, where was the kid he'd seen earlier that morning? He had been replaced with some cocky bastard sporting a fake ghetto accent. Nick walked away and Russell shook his head, the anger in him coming back as the fan cried into his shoulder.

Russell thought of this as he hunted Nick and the others through the woods, determined to get justice for Chloe, for Maria and any other girl Nick had hurt in his sexual escapades. He had seen his opportunity when the tour buses stopped at the rest stop....Hank never saw it coming. None of them did. Russell didn't intend to crash the bus but park it while the others were sleeping and kill Nick as he slept...not call attention to himself. However now he knew he couldn't go back to prison knowing he failed, he wanted to prove everyone wrong.

Russell Sawyer was not a screw up.....he would make damn sure to follow through even if it meant dying himself.