- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry for the delay. Back with a new chapter....hope you enjoy!
“Fuck.”

Howie turned around to see a gun in his face, but it wasn't Russell. It belonged to a confused looking older man in hunting gear.

"What are you doing poking around by my tent?" the man barked. Howie gulped and laughed nervously.

"My friends and I need help, we were in a bus crash not far from here a day ago or so. We were just looking for help, sir."

The man lowered his rifle.

"You mean the bus crash on the main road? I heard about it on my two way in my truck. Sorry I spooked ya....name's Carl."

Howie sighed with relief as the man held out his hand for him to shake. As it turned out they had been in a state forest, and Kevin reasoned that was why they hadn't run into any other people. It wasn't summer and not many were camping. They were relieved to finally get some help.

"There, now that should do it. I can take you boys into town if you like in my truck." Carl offered with a smile as he wrapped Kevin's leg in a bandage from his first aid kit and handed out some water. They were all grateful to get something to drink but Nick was silent, staring off at the woods where they came from. He felt his chest tighten wondering if Russell was still out there.

"You all right, Nick?" Brian asked, offering him the water. Nick took a long drink and sighed with content.

"Not really." he said in a hollow voice. Brian looked at him with compassion. Nick had been through more than most of the guys put together and yet sometimes Brian wanted to take the kid and smack him when he got melancholy.

Nick was always throwing himself a pity party these days and the guys thought it was normal teenage behavior, until he continued to do it after turning 20. He was now 21 and had seemed to spiral out of control ever since his birthday....



"Nick come on....things can't be that bad." Brian said as he watched Nick look disappointed at his cell phone.

"It's my birthday. You think they would call." Nick argued, sighing.

"Maybe they are just busy. My mom didn't call on my birthday either." Brian offered. Nick rolled his eyes and looked at the phone again as if it were going to jump, Brian could feel his frustration with Nick building already.

"That is because we were overseas and couldn't get phone calls, Bri. Don't make this about you."

That did it.

"Nick are you freaking KIDDING ME? Don't make this about me? You have been holed up in this room all day stuffing your face and wallowing. I was trying to cheer your dumb ass up." Brian shouted.

"I don't need you to cheer me up. I'm not a kid anymore!" Nick said, getting up and crossing the room.

"All you do anymore is keep to yourself… Or push me away. Push everyone away! Fuck you, Nick!!"

Nick looked mildly surprised that Brian was cursing, a loud string of words came out of his mouth that would even have made a sailor blush.

"Was that necessary?" he asked without missing a beat. Brian was too deep in his sudden rage to care by this point.

"No wonder your parents didn't call you. If I was them I wouldn't either. You act so moody and antisocial these days I don't know how to speak to you." Brian said. He almost felt bad when Nick's eyes welled up with tears.

"So don't then. Nobody else bothers, why should you?" Nick said before finally giving up and locking himself in the bathroom. Brian spent the next hour trying to apologize, but it had taken a talk from AJ to finally calm him down enough to come out of the bathroom.


Brian felt horrible afterward and even now as they sat at the campsite, he wondered if Nick still thought about that night.


"Nick, I am sorry for what I said to you on your birthday." he said suddenly, patting him on the back. They heard Carl mention bringing them to town on his truck because Howie's head was starting to hurt again and they all couldn't wait to get out of the woods already. At least they felt better now that they had some water and a bit of food.

"Why are you bringing that up again, Brian? That was ages ago." Nick retorted.

"I was just thinking about it. I know this year has been a bit crazy for you already. I feel like I have been taking you for granted."

"Well you have a girlfriend now, you don't need me anymore. I get that."

Brian looked at his feet, he knew Nick was right. Ever since he had met Leighanne he had kind of pushed all his friends to the side. Even at his wedding, the guys didn't seem like they were totally okay with him settling down, but he was in love. Now that he was alone with the guys, he had realized how much he really missed spending time with them even when they were running for their lives.

"That's not what I mean, Nick. You're always gonna be my best friend, no matter what happens. I love you." he whispered, putting his arm around him. For the first time in two days Brian saw Nick crack a genuine smile.

Nick put his head down to hide the smile, pretending to look if anyone was listening to give them a hard time. Brian pushed him playfully, chuckling.

"I love you too Brian….I guess.” Nick said softly. He thought, or maybe hoped that things were starting to look up for the two of them after all.


Once the truck was loaded up with the camping equipment, Carl helped Kevin into the truck and the others rode in the back. They were finally about to see civilization again, they couldn't be happier.

"I cannot wait to have a long ass nap when this is over with." AJ said, putting his arms behind his head as the others laughed.

Kevin was about to open his mouth when they saw a figure on the side of the road.....watching them. He didn't say anything, but the fear rose to the surface again. Kevin recognized the dark eyes and cold stare. As the truck continued down the road, he was a bit relieved that Russell was on foot and they were in the vehicle. At least that would give them time to notify someone about him.

Or at least he hoped.