- Text Size +
The leaves fell and danced and mingled with each other creating a kaleidoscope of color. Red, orange and even yellow danced in the breeze and through the chilling Kentucky air. Fall was in full swing and in another week or so there would be no more leaves left to fall, the last one submitting to the winter air and there would be nothing left of this beautiful season but the memories. And oh how many memories this fall held.

There were memories of laughter and fun as two families melded into one. Lovers were here to profess their undying love and devotions while also solidifying their two families as one new family unit. It was a day that had been on the horizon since the beginning, it just took a little longer than anticipated to come to fruition.

Odin screamed out as he was chased through the piles of autumn leaves by his new older brothers. He glanced behind him several times to see if he was running fast enough and forgot to check in front of him. The tree branch came out of nowhere and before he knew it he was skittering across the yard, through the dirt and the foliage.

"Man if you got your tux dirty dad is going to be so man." Mason said laughing as he offered a hand down to help the young boy to his feet.

He helped Odin dust off his suit coat as Maxwell joined them. "We better hurry up," he said. If dad and Papa find out we're out here instead of in the house getting ready we're all going to be in trouble."

Mason and Odin laughed but took off towards the house with Maxwell right on their heels.

--

"When do you leave to go back on the road?" Brian asked as he settled into the uncomfortable chair in Nick's old bedroom.

Nick turned from his place at the full length mirror as he adjusted his tie. "We get back from the honeymoon in two weeks and then I think Kevin's first show is a week after that in Seattle. We won't have the older boys until a week after that and then we will have them for a month. He's got a couple months left of shows and then he will be done with the tour and we can celebrate the holidays at home before we're all back in the studio in February. "

Brian watched Nick fiddle with the tie as he spoke, still never getting it quite right. He stood and crossed the room, swatting Nick's hands away and starting the whole process over. "Let me, you're going to make it crease."

They were silent for several moments as Brian untucked the tie and started the whole process over again. "Are you nervous?" Brian asked.

"You know, after everything we've been through this year, I'm not at all. I know there's nothing I can't do with him by my side. He always has been and always will be my destiny. I can't believe we've had to reschedule this twice already so I'm still just a little in awe it's finally happening. "Nick said as he watched in the mirror.

"Yeah, who would have known his album would go to number one as soon as it was released." Brian said with a laugh.

"I did. I told him the thing was going to fucking blow up. And it did and I am so proud of him. If we had to reschedule a couple of times so he could live out this dream then that's completely fine with me." Nick said with a smile.

"I'm proud of both of you. I honestly thought you'd come home married after everything you guys went through in Vegas." Brian laughed and laid the tie down as he tucked it against Nick's shirt.

"We didn't want to make anything with us official until he was officially listed as the father with the kids. That was really important to me. But now he's their legal father too and everything is falling into place. Nick continued to look at himself in the mirror, smoothing away imaginary wrinkles as he turned from side to side.

"I'm really glad both of you were willing to sit down and talk to me about everything and we could move past this so I could have both your friendships back and I could be here for this." Brian said softly.

Nick turned from the mirror to look at his best friend. "After everything with Lauren it was more important to both of us not to waste any time. We love you and we need you in our lives. I'm glad you worked everything out with Leighanne."

Brian threw his arms around the younger man and held him tight. The two best friends stood in silence for a moment before the door burst open in a fury of activity.

"Odin got dirty outside." Maxwell announced with a giggle.

Nick and Brian pulled away with a laugh. "Dear God don't let Kevin find out."

-

Kevin paced the bedroom as he watched the festivities coming to life outside. He alternated between peering out the window and pacing the floor. He vaguely remembered teasing Nick about having to replace the carpeting and laughed.

"How you doing old man?" AJ asked as he came into the room, shutting the door quickly behind him.

Kevin turned from the window and gave him a grin. "I'm anxious to start the rest of my life."

AJ smiled and clapped him on the back before pulling him into a hug. "Never thought I'd live to see the two of you getting hitched."

Kevin's grin widened. "I never thought I'd live to see any of these things, but look at where we are. I couldn't ask for anything more." he smiled blissfully as he thought about their life together. In a year's time they went from being separated and dealing with a very ugly custody issue, to being more in love than he'd ever imagined and getting ready to truly begin their life together.

"Well Mr. Big Shot Solostar," Howie said as he ducked into the room. "You almost ready to get this show on the road?"

Kevin took a deep breath and turned to look at both of them. "How do I look?"

--

The ceremony started without a hitch and there wasn't a dry eye in the yard by the time Nick and Kevin joined hands. The kids were being seated off to the side while Leigh and Rochelle tried to keep everyone under control.

It was a beautiful, crisp day and Kevin and Nick had worked tirelessly to make the backyard grounds the perfect spot to hold their wedding. It was the place of many first for them and also the place they got engaged. It only made sense that when it was time to hold their small, very private ceremony, that it be held on the same grounds.

Kristin had come to them and asked if she could officiate. After several conversations they decided what better way to show strength and solidarity not only to themselves buy also to the children to have her be such an important part of their big day.

"Kevin, would you like to read your vows?" Kristin asked as she turned him.

Kevin nodded. He gave her a small smile and then turned to Nick, squeezing his hand, he tried to get the words out before the tears came. "From the first day that I met you I knew there was something about you. Something I couldn't possibly understand at that time, but I knew the moment your eyes met mine that you would change my world forever. I just had no idea how often and how deeply this would come to be true. I had no way of knowing that a 14 year old boy would be the one I chose to spend my life with, to build a family with. I think God every day for bringing you into my life because I know I am incomplete without you. I promise you that I will love, honor and cherish not only you, but our children as well for the rest of my days. "

Nick bit his lip as the tears fell and quickly took back one of his hands to wipe his face. Kristen gave them both a smile and then turned to Nick. "Are you ready to read your vows?"

Nick nodded and turned back to Kevin. "There's never been another person on this planet that's meant more to me than you have. In one capacity or another, you have always been the most important thing in my life. I would be nothing without you, I am nothing without you. I need you in my life and right beside me every night and everyday. You are my entire world and if I live to be 100 it would still not be enough time to show you how much you mean to me. I promise to love, honor and cherish you and our kids every day of my life. "

Kristin smiled as both men wiped away tears and tried their best to compose themselves. It was hard watching them give themselves to each other. She knew it would be, which is also why she knew she had to be the one to officiate it. She'd spent months debating her decision before finally registering online and the going through the motions of asking them. She was right. It was hard to come to terms with the fact that the man she loved, loved someone else. But she couldn't deny the way they felt about each other, no one could and at the end of the day all she wanted was his happiness. And the happiness of the children, but they were just as enchanted by Nick as their father was. Once they had been told that Kevin had formally adopted Odin and Saoirse they had come to her and asked if they could call Nick Papa since that's what Odin and Saoirse called Kevin. At first she hadn't been comfortable with the idea, but after everything else, knowing they were all going to be one big happy family one way or another, there was no way she could stand in the way.

"You may now kiss and I pronounce you husbands." she said with a smile, her own tears beginning to fall. She watched as Kevin drew Nick into his arms and kissed him passionately in front of all their friends and family. She was surprised she didn't feel a pang of regret, but there was none. As her eyes fell on her sons, her heart was warmed by them curled together with their siblings. Saoirse asleep on Mason's lap, her head on his chest and his arms wrapped tightly around her. Maxwell and Odin were sharing one of the folding chairs and their arms were wrapped tightly around each other's necks. This was exactly how everything was supposed to be.

As she focused in on the couple in front of her again she smiled. They were gazing lovingly into each other's eyes and the love between them poured from every smile. She turned to the crowd in front of her and smiled wide.

"I'd like to introduce for the first time, Mr & Mr Richardson-Carter."