- Text Size +
Nick froze as he tightened his grip on Erik’s body and stared after Brian as he walked through the crevice. He swallowed several times. This is a door to some sort of home for a bunch of barrier demons? How many are there? Could we get in without Brian? Are they all like Brian? Making jokes, spiritual, concerned with the politics of our countries? Will they accept us like he has? Or will they think we’re useless...

Minako gripped Nick’s sleeve.

“I’m okay… I think…” It doesn’t matter. Brian’s here and Brian does accept us. And I’ve got you…

“Do you want to go first?” She smiled, then lowered her voice to a whisper. “Or maybe I can protect you from whatever’s scary in there.”

He laughed quietly. “No, I’ll go. Just be ready to catch Erik if they ambush us.” He started walking through the small crevice, followed by Minako first and Kevin last, with the others between them.

Ahead of them, the tunnel grew increasingly dark as they walked further through it. Nick glanced back at Minako and caught sight of the shimmer across the entrance again. Water dripped on his head from the stalactites above them. He coughed and stuck out his tongue as the water dripped down his face. Out isn’t an option anymore, but Brian obviously thinks it’s safe here… He stared back ahead, hyperventilating quietly as he tried to conceal his breathing behind Erik in the dark. I hate this… It reminds me of that dark place where Minako found me… He glanced back at her again.

Despite the dark, her smile flashed brightly at him as she gripped the hem of his tunic.

At least… she’s here if this is the same type of trap. And Brian’s here too and I trust him. And Howie, Kevin, and AJ… It’s going to be okay.

The increasingly lit tunnel ended in a small hazy and bright opening.

“Don’t forget to duck!” Brian’s voice echoed through the darkness as he disappeared through the hole.

Nick swallowed, then crouched as low as he could get while holding Erik, sinking his head behind Erik’s knees as he held him forward. As he entered the hazy brightness, he froze, bumping into Minako behind him.

“Ow...”

He turned back to her quickly. “Minako!”

“I’m okay… You just surprised me. Are you… okay?” She rubbed her head.

He stepped to the side, allowing her to join him outside the tunnel. Rather than the hazy brightness, a large cavern loomed around them and stretched further back into the mountain seemingly endlessly. The vibrant cacophony of this place resembled Aohouseki’s marketplace, from the shops and stalls to the crowds to the safety of the towering cavern walls. Several tunnels and smaller entryways jutted out from this large main room like spokes, similar to Aohouseki’s wide paved streets. The only true difference between the two, other than this city being enclosed in a mountain, was that the curious crowds mimicked Brian in their attire and merely glanced with wonder at the horde of demons entering their midsts.

Nick trembled slightly until Minako leaned against him and held her hand at his lower back. He exhaled, then his back relaxed against her touch.

Brian quickly scanned their group, then smiled as he spread his arms wide. “Welcome to my humble home.”

Howie patted Brian’s shoulder. “We appreciate you welcoming us into your humble home.”

“Brian, this is huge!” AJ exclaimed.

Brian shook his head. “It’s nothing.”

Nick bit his lip. “Nothing, huh…”

“We heard your party needed medical attention.” Nick turned toward two male demons in simple clothing resembling Kevin’s attire in more muted colors.

I wonder if all doctors dress like this…

Kevin flanked Nick quickly. “I would like to continue healing him, but he will need some typical medical care and cleaning first. So far, his ailments are related to his powers, from what I can tell, but also a deep chest wound of some sort. Could you show me to your medical facilities to determine treatment and then bring me back to Brian?”

“Fascinating! A healing demon!” The demon grabbed Erik from Nick’s arms.

The other demon patted Kevin’s shoulder and gestured across the cavern. “We’ve always wanted to meet one! We would be honored to show you our facilities.”

Kevin patted Nick’s shoulder. “Thank you for carrying him. I’ll be right back.”

“Y-yeah… Sure…” Nick stared after them, frowning.

“Nick?” Brian pressed his lips into a thin line as he glanced at him.

“This isn’t what I was expecting. It’s like an entire city in here.”

Brian lowered his head. “I know family has been a point of contention lately. I didn’t want anyone to feel bad.”

Nick smiled but slowly reached back toward Minako’s hand. “Your family is your family. It’s okay.”

“Brian!” A deep male voice echoed through the cavern.

Brian quickly turned his head, then the others followed his gaze to an older demon with a long white beard standing further into the cavern. He wore a long sapphire tunic with two wide white stripes descending from the collarbone over white pants and sandals at his feet. Horns protruded from his pale strands of hair and his wings folded gently against his back. He clutched a staff similar to Brian’s.

“Grandfather!” Brian grinned from ear-to-ear as he hurried over to him, then wrapped him in a tight hug.

After reciprocating the squeeze, the older demon held Brian’s face and began examining him.

Nick stared at them, his brow furrowed in concentration. A grandfather… He swallowed, fighting the sinking feeling in his stomach. I wonder what it’s like to have one of those... He scanned the cavern. All of these demons are just like Brian… No wonder he said being a cardinal demon wasn’t the only thing he had… Would I feel the same way if my family was still around? Or would I still think it’s the most important thing I am? He frowned.

Minako tightened her grip on Nick’s hand. “It’s like Aohouseki but filled with demons.”

“Yeah… At least they’re not screaming… Or bowing… Just… staring...”

Minako stood on her tiptoes and whispered in his ear. “It’s Nick and his cute butt! He deserves our appreciation!”

“Minako… stop…” A smile quirked on his lips.

“Okay... wholesome… Nick and his sweet smile?”

“Minako…”

“You’re right, we’re still with everyone else. If Brian can find enough space, I’ll save some appreciation for later.”

“It’s fine, but I know you’re just trying to distract me.”

“Caught me.” She giggled and smoothed out his collar. “Our question game caused too much trouble earlier.”

He grinned. “We can talk about that later too.”

“Other secrets we know?”

“Or you.”

“Maybe there’s a lake in here… It seems big enough… I mean...” She glanced away, then peered up at him through her eyelashes as her face flushed.

I hope Brian can find enough space… I wonder what she would look like at a lake…

“Oh, I wonder where Brian and his grandpa are sending them?”

Nick glanced back toward them as another barrier demon began leading Madeline and the Ruby demons away from the group. He swallowed and frowned. Did Brian ask his grandfather about security?

Minako glanced back at him with knitted eyebrows. “You’re worried because you can’t keep an eye on Ashley?”

“You always know what I’m thinking.” Nick smiled at her warmly as he draped his arms around her waist.

“Brian wouldn’t send them away without making sure they’re all okay. But now it’s like before again, just all of us.” She beamed.

“Maybe it can be… just us again.”

“Now guess what I’m thinking.” Minako grinned as she fiddled with his tunic again.

“This has too many clasps.”

“Nick!” She laughed.

“More wholesome? This is really dirty, let’s take it off and clean it. Sounds the same.” He flashed a lopsided grin.

“Nick!”

He pressed a small kiss to her forehead. “I hope Brian can find more space for all of us.”

Minako smiled up at him. “Me too.” She glanced back at Brian. “Oh, Brian’s talking about us?”

Nick followed her gaze; Brian and his grandfather engaged in an animated conversation as Brian gestured toward them. “I wonder what they’re saying…”

“Grandfather!” Brian’s surprise echoed across the cavern.

Nick frowned. That’s not like Brian...

“All good things hopefully. I can’t wait to meet him.” She beamed again.

“Yeah… Me too.”

~*~



As Brian led them down one of the many long corridors inside the cavern, their footsteps echoed across it like the cavern’s heartbeat, shrouding their silent expressions.

“I can’t wait to meet your grandpa, Brian!” Minako grabbed his arm, skipping as she walked.

“He can’t wait to meet all of you. He was surprised we brought two priestesses.”

“Is it alright to leave Ashley alone for this long?” Nick crossed his arms and furrowed his brow.

“He sent them with one of the guards. And he’ll be able to protect himself if anything dangerous happens.”

“Guards?”

“A portion of the younger demons, the ones around my age actually, work in shifts to uphold the barrier to our home, the one I knocked on when we arrived. Three to four of them are holding it at all times.”

“So you can’t get in unless you’re a barrier demon?” AJ asked.

“Not usually.”

Kevin frowned. “They definitely wouldn’t have let us in without warning then.”

Brian chuckled. “It’s lucky those two were going to check on the earthquakes and the rock slides so they could prepare Grandfather and the other Elders.”

Nick looked at Brian bewilderedly. “They really wouldn’t have let us in without you?!” They wouldn’t accept us after all...

Howie patted his shoulder. “A den of demons does not thrive if they let just anyone into their midst, Nick.”

“They might have still let you all in, but it would have taken some explaining. Definitely Howie once they found out who he was. And probably Minako shortly after that. They probably would have let the rest of you in eventually if you discussed it outside on the path first. None of the Ruby demons, though, and probably not Madeline... Maybe Erik if you brought him, but only in his current state. Really you all had the easiest answer because you were with me.” He grinned.

“I’m glad you were here too, Brian.” Minako clutched his arm.

At the end of the corridor, two large rounded doors loomed ahead of them, decorated with a web of silvery rays resembling the shining streaks of Brian’s barriers.

“Here we are.” He knocked three times. “Grandfather?”

Two knocks responded, then two barrier demons pushed the doors open, revealing a round room surrounding a raised circular pool of water. Five chairs formed a semi-circle around the back edge of the pool. Brian’s grandfather sat on a cushion in front of the pool and a set of wide stairs draped with a sapphire carpet raised to meet him. He glanced at the barrier demons flanking the door, giving them a brief nod. They exited the room quickly as he stood.

Nick stood against the closed door surveying the room. This seems… really ritualistic… Is this what clans used to be run like? I wonder what that council Brian talked about does… Do they meet here?

Brian’s grandfather strode over to Howie, before bowing deeply. “Your Majesty, it honors us to welcome you among our clan.”

Howie gave a brief bow, lowering only his head. “It honors us to be present....” He glanced at the others. “...Your Grace.”

“Your Grace.” Kevin and AJ bowed as Brian put his hand behind Nick’s back, pushing him forward.

Nick stumbled, then bowed and mumbled, “Your Grace.”

Minako glanced at Brian with a raised eyebrow, then bowed as well. “Your Grace.”

Brian’s grandfather bowed again. “Your Graces. Esteemed and Honorable Eminence.” A whisper of a smile crossed his lips. “Lord Brian.”

Brian grinned and bowed with an excessively dramatic air. “Exalted Grandfather!” He laughed as his grandfather frowned. “Too enthusiastic, Grandfather?”

Nick twitched as he stared at Brian, his mouth a lopsided gape. What is going on?

Brian’s grandfather returned to his cushion, then gestured toward the carpeted stairs. “Your Majesty, would you prefer a chair?”

“We appreciate your generosity, however we are pleased to remain with our companions.”

After Howie sat in front of Brian’s grandfather, he glanced at Minako and patted the space beside him. Minako grabbed Nick’s hand and pulled him toward the stairs. Brian sat beside Nick as Kevin sat on Howie’s other side and AJ sat beside him.

"Thank you for welcoming us into your home, Your Grace. We will do our best to respect your customs." Minako bowed again.

“I appreciate the sentiment, Esteemed and Honorable Eminence.” He leaned on his staff. “As we are among peers, formalities are no longer required. Please address me as Elder Virgil.”

“Peers? Graces?” Nick’s hand flinched, then he grabbed Minako’s hand and pulled it toward his lap.

Virgil glanced at Brian. “A very casual clan?”

“A very casual rank of one.” He glanced at Nick and Minako. “Or two, as I mentioned. As far as we know, anyway… and untaught.”

“I see. I assumed as much on your first point.” He rested his hands in his lap. “It has been some time since The Shield has heard word from the other great clans, so we assumed their numbers were decimated in the siege. Therefore…” He gestured to AJ, then Kevin. “The malleable, perpetually moving aura of His Grace of the Shapeshifters and the stitching, building, and glowing aura of His Grace of the Healers.” He smiled. “His Majesty, of course.”

Nick leaned forward. "How do you do that? Is it part of you or your powers?"

"Both. I use my own aura, my barrier, to reach out and touch what radiates off of you."

"That's amazing!” Nick gasped. “Can you do that, Brian?"

"A little, but it takes so much concentration."

"What does your aura feel like? And Brian's?"

"Barrier demons feel immobile, but pliable, a mix of web and shield."

Nick reached out a finger and poked Brian's arm, giving him a sheepish smile as he made contact with his sleeve.

"You probably can't feel it with a physical touch, Nick." Brian laughed.

Virgil fixed his gaze on Minako. “I apologize for misaddressing you, Your Grace, Her Esteemed and Honorable Eminence. I was surprised to hear that you were the Pandora of lore as your aura feels unmistakably demonic."

"Your Grace, it’s really kind of you to think I’m strong at all like them, but I’m not a demon at all, just ordinary. Please call me Minako.”

"Stop selling yourself short, you’re plenty strong, Minako." AJ leaned around Kevin and gave her a thumbs up.

She beamed at him.

Nick tightened his hold on her hand. You’re a person, but not ordinary at all. You’re still amazing to me and plenty strong, like AJ said.

Virgil lowered his head. "Forgive my intrusion, demon women often have additional powers for a short time…"

Minako looked at him quizzically. "I'm really only human." She paused. "Oh! You mean… no. No, no."

"Grandfather!”

"Brian, no. I'm not… Brian, no..."

Nick frowned as his brow furrowed. Something about female demons bothers Brian? Was that the thing he shouted about before?

"Our apologies. If we may interject…"

Minako let out a sigh of relief as she lowered her head, tightening her clutch on Nick’s hand and glancing at the floor. "Thank you, Howie,” she whispered.

Virgil nodded. "You are always welcome without apologies, Your Majesty."

"There is only one Pandora who has completed all the duties asked of her and continues to complete additional duties. Perhaps that completion and continuing existence for the benefit of Safaiananpou has altered her presence in addition to protecting our hearts in her grasp."

"Your wisdom is sage, Your Majesty, as always. Forgive my intrusion, Your Esteemed and Honorable Eminence. I was merely surprised to feel a spark of brightness emanating from your aura." He glanced at Nick. “It is similar to what I feel radiating from you and I made assumptions after Brian described yours as a clan of two. Her Grace for her connection to His Grace.”

“I don’t…” Nick bit his lip. “Have a clan… Or… not a family just like me anyway… It’s only me… and Minako… And Brian, Howie, Kevin, and AJ...” He swallowed. “I radiate something?”

”A strong flickering and flaring brightness, though there is some darkness beside it, yet it reflects the light rather than swallowing it. I have not encountered one of your kind since long before the siege, and never one with such duality, Your Grace of the Celestials."

Brian put his hand on Virgil’s arm. "Actually, Grandfather, we’ve been trying to help Nick learn his powers, so if you have any insight or advice for him, I think it would be incredibly helpful."

“You are quite old to be inexperienced.”

Nick clenched his fist. “It’s complicated, but I was never taught.”

He laughed. “Though Brian left us long before any of us could discover what he was truly capable of.” He gripped his staff. “Our ancestors said that was the fate of cardinal demons, to be eternal wanderers, always searching and calling.”

Nick swallowed again as wrapped his other hand around Minako’s hand in his lap. “How soon do you know if a demon is a cardinal demon?”

“Always. They will show you when they are born.”

Nick lowered his head. “When they’re born…”

He laughed heartily again. “Brian gave his mother quite a scare because he refused to come into the world and then was born inside a barrier.”

Howie fiddled with the pommel of his sword. “It seems all the legends are true then, the prophecies we have had handed down to us.”

“Your Majesty also recalls the tale of a demon cloaked in a shield?”

“A mage who shall fortify the kingdom.”

“Howie…” Minako grabbed his arm. “Did you tell me these stories? I can’t remember…”

“No, we never quite believed them ourselves, they were only fascinating tales our father told us in our youth. However, we began to suspect they were true when the revelation of Nick’s powers combined with Kevin’s story about the crater seemed to complete the alignment with each sapphire cardinal demon. Though it seems in addition to the monarchy, the correct clans would have possessed this knowledge to prepare long ago, but as clans faction and splinter, old knowledge is often lost.”

Virgil nodded and gestured toward the doors. “To preserve the knowledge, it is better to remain together.”

Nick swallowed and stared at the ground. Together...

As he clenched his staff, Virgil fixed his gaze on Nick. "I believe I can assist you. Of the light and reflection, the light is stronger, bright and warm. It will be the easier aspect to train. Though at this moment, I feel your aura swirling with darkness and doubt."

Nick laughed sardonically. “Darkness and doubt, huh? Sounds right…”

“It seems you are unaware of methods to center yourself.”

“Center?”

“When demons are not calm, their powers become erratic and more difficult to access. When you are able to center yourself, you can force calm into moments that are not calm.”

“How do you do that?” Nick furrowed his brow. I’ve just always kept pushing through...

“It is different for all types of demons and deeply personal. Centering yourself involves connecting to yourself and your powers at the same time.”

A gentle and serene smile began forming on Nick’s face. “You’ve all been trying your best to help me, even though you didn’t know exactly what to do…” He glanced up at them. “Brian, you tried to help me find them... Kevin, you tried to keep me calm... Howie, you tried to help me connect to them... And AJ, you tried to help me connect to myself…” He beamed at Minako. “Minako… You’re always filling me with this bright light and your support, it keeps me trying. You’re all my real family.”

“It seems you are all very supportive of each other, like a second clan.” Virgil smilied. “Brian, I hope that you are no longer wandering and calling like the legends say.”

“No, I’m doing well, Grandfather.”

He fixed his gaze on Nick again. “I hope you find strength in this second clan, enough to make yourself experienced despite your age. However, some things will still need to be done with the correct methods. If I remember correctly, the celestial clan, especially the demons who draw power from light or darkness, find comfort and calm in the passage of time, things you can measure like the movement of a clock, shadows stretching, a heartbeat, or breathing.” He stood, holding his staff tightly. “Brian, I interrupted your explanation earlier and do not need to hear the details now as you brought Ruby demons with you across borders. It seems you came here for time and space after a long journey, so please use our home to rest and train as long as you all would like. We will provide what you need for you.”

Brian clenched his staff and stood as well. "Thank you, Grandfather! Actually I have one other request. Would we be able to provide some sort of protection for the priestesses?"

"Protection?"

"Just to keep them both safe when they're in their quarters, like when they're sleeping. I trust you and everyone here, of course."

Virgil smiled knowingly. “But not your allies?”

Brian lowered his head.

“All alliances can be fragile. It is meaningful enough that you have allowed them into your childhood home.” His grandfather ran his hand along his chin. "I suppose our clan can provide that for you. Do they prefer their own quarters?"

"The Ruby Priestess would prefer to stay with the Ruby demons like I already asked. If we are here past Erik healing, I’m sure she would want him to join her."

“When all are equal, it becomes easier to protect you unassumingly from the ones you fear are dangerous. And Her Esteemed and Honorable Eminence?”

Brian chuckled. "Minako, correct me if I’m wrong, but is your preference to stay with only Nick?”

“If that’s possible, but we can be comfortable anywhere.” She stood and turned to Virgil with a small bow. “Your Grace, we really appreciate everything you are doing for us.”

“Sweet Esteemed and Honorable Eminence who carries and protects the hearts of the cardinal demons, there is no need to be so formal to me. If you do not consider it an intrusion, Grandfather is fine due to your closeness with Brian.”

Minako gasped quietly and flashed a broad grin at Nick.

Nick shook his head and covered his face with his hand as he laughed quietly. He’ll be calling her Minako before he knows it.

“I would love that, Grandfather, thank you! Please call me Minako too!”

Nick continued to laugh quietly.

“I will choose capable protection details for you both.”

Nick stood as well. “Thank you… Your Grace...”

“Fledgling Grace of the vestigial Celestials who seeks family, you may also call me Grandfather.”

Minako gasped quietly again as she beamed at Nick and cupped her hands at her heart.

Nick flinched and lowered his head. A Grandfather… Brian… is that okay? “Um… Thank you… Grandfather, for your kindness…”

He cupped Nick’s shoulder and smiled. “I feel it flickering out of you, a strong desire to protect. You must be the one who requested that Brian ask for this favor.”

Nick nodded quietly.

Brian smiled. “Thank you, Grandfather. Since that’s already two rooms, the rest of us will be fine in just one different room."

"Absolutely not. His Majesty must have his own quarters at least."

Howie stood as well. “We do not wish to impose. We assure you that we are delighted to share quarters with our companions. While appreciated, this is unnecessary."

“No imposition, Your Majesty. It is our clan’s pleasure to host you with your own protection detail.”

“We cannot refuse you and appreciate your kindness.”

“We will provide these four rooms for you, Brian. Would you like these last three to be close to each other?”

“Please.”

“I will arrange for this protection detail, please meet them in the main room after you have partaken in a meal and they will escort you to your quarters. I will have the guards outside the room assist you in the meantime.”

“Thank you, Elder Virgil, for allowing us in your hospitable home and allowing us access to your medical facilities.” Kevin stood, then bowed.

“Thank you, Elder Virgil, for your kindness.” AJ stood and bowed as well.

“Your Graces, the Sapphire Cardinal demons, I leave the preference to you on being addressed as Elder Virgil or Grandfather.”

Minako gasped again and beamed at them as she held her cheeks. Nick put his head in his hand and laughed quietly, but grabbed her hand when she reached out to him.

Virgil glanced at them, then smiled as he stood closer to Brian and lowered his voice.“Perhaps gravitating is a better term than orbiting.”

Brian chuckled. “Perhaps, Grandfather.” He glanced at Nick. “I’ll adjust the way I speak about His Grace and Her Grace of the Celestials from now on.”

Nick glanced at Brian, then frowned and wrinkled his nose. Stop teasing me, Brian…

“His Grace is displeased with Lord Brian of the Shields. I shall give myself penance for misspeaking around my betters.” He grinned.

Nick groaned and hid his head in his hand as Brian continued to laugh, then glanced up at him from between his fingers. Thanks for helping with my favor, Brian. I’m glad you’re more like this than your grandfather’s formality. I don’t need to be a Grace of anything, but being here with your family has made me happy that we’re also family. Thanks for making me part of yours.

Chapter End Notes:
If you forgot how fun Aohouseki was in the beginning, may I redirect you to PBox's Chapter Five: Sorceress.