- Text Size +
Athena arrived at her office the next morning a few minutes later than usual. Daxon had been cranky that morning and it had taken her a little longer to get him ready for day care. Once she had gotten him to day care, he didn’t want her to leave. Such is the life of a working mother, Athena sighed to herself as she hung her coat up in the hall closet.
“Good morning, Bianca. How are you this morning?”
“I’m fine, Ms. Charlemagne. Did you have a meeting planned for this morning?” Bianca questioned.
Athena shook her head. “Not that I remember. Why do you ask?”
“Mr. Malkin is waiting for you in your private meeting room. He’s been here since eight o’clock this morning.”
Athena frowned. “That can’t be good news. What a day to be late for work.” She muttered to Bianca as she put her hand on the doorknob to her office.
“Shall I bring some coffee in?” Bianca inquired.
“Yes, that would be nice.” Athena took a deep breath and walked into her office.
Athena had been at the Malkin Partners Design Firm for three years. She had worked her way up to associate in half the time it took most people due to sheer will and determination. Her corner office was furnished just as one would expect in a large and successful interior design firm. There was a large mahogany desk on one side of the room with a high-backed leather chair behind it. Behind the desk and chair, the view of Boston’s skyline from her twenty-sixth floor office was breathtaking.
Athena set down her briefcase on the desk and looked through the glass partition to the meeting room that was attached to her office. There was a bank of bookshelves filled with many thick leather bound volumes. Next to it, a wet bar for entertaining high-class executives. In front of the wet bar, were two large, tan leather couches where three men in dark suits were sitting. One, was her boss, Richard Malkin. The other two she couldn’t recognize because they had their backs turned to her. The only thing she could tell was that one had sandy blonde hair and one had dark hair.
Mr. Malkin looked up and saw that she had arrived. He excused himself from the two mystery men and came into Athena’s office.
“Ms. Charlemagne, I’m so sorry to bring you into this meeting on such short notice.”
Athena smiled. Richard Malkin was a tall, middle-aged man with a slight accent. He was an estute business man with a weakness for beautiful women.
“That’s quite alright, Richard. I’m sorry I am running late this morning.” Athena replied as she set her briefcase on her desk and popped it open. “Can you give me a little background information so I’m not going in to the meeting cold?”
“Of course.” Richard replied with a smile. “Late last week I received a call from Martin Greenhorn.”
Athena’s eye grew large. “Martin Greenhorn? Martin Greenhorn of BostonGreen Properties?”
Richard nodded. “Yes, that’s exactly the one. I see you are familiar with the name.”
“Familiar? That man emerged on the real estate scene only five years ago and since has been snatching up properties left and right, only to completely renovate them and turn them over for huge profits.”
“Yes, that’s the one.” The smile was still pasted on Richard’s face.
“What is he doing here?” Athena asked in disbelief. “He’s been in bed with the Fate Design Group for the last two years. What does he want with Malkin Partners?”
Richard clasped his hands together like an excited child. “It seems my old friend Donald Henrickson at Fate Design Group has not been performing to Mr. Greenhorn’s liking. Mr. Greenhorn has asked us to submit a proposal to become his new ‘designer in residence’ per se.”
Athena’s eyes grew bigger. “Oh wow! This is…this is huge!” She whispered.
Richard nodded again. “I know.” He remained silent for a moment to let the news sink in. “Well, let’s not keep our new clients waiting. We are meeting today just to familiarize ourselves with the client and to get to know the projects that will be coming up in the near future.”
“If you give me five minutes to get my thoughts in order, I’ll join you in the meeting room.”
Richard nodded and went back into the meeting room. Athena heard him apologize to the two men and announce that she would be in soon. She quickly gathered her leather folder and pen, brushed an uncertain hand down the length of her suit, and pasted on her best client-pleasing smile. With a deep breath she stepped into the meeting room and joined the meeting.
“Ah, here she is now!” Richard stood as Athena entered the room. “Gentlemen, may I introduce our youngest associate at Malkin Partners, Ms. Athena Charlemagne.” The two men stood to shake hands with Athena. “Athena, this is Martin Greenhorn.” Richard gestured towards the man with sandy blonde hair. “Very nice to meet you, Ms. Charlemagne.” Mr. Greenhorn smiled and gave her a firm handshake. He was an attractive man, in his late forties with green eyes and a friendly manner. Athena noticed a dimple on his left cheek as he flashed her with his perfect Hollywood-white smile. Athena knew instantly that he was a ladies man. “Nice to meet you as well, Mr. Greenhorn. I’ve heard – and read – much about you.”
“Only good things I hope.” He replied with a wink.
“Of course
“And this,” continued Richard, “Is his Chief Leasing agent for the greater Boston area.” Athena turned her attention for the first time to the dark haired man, who smiled at her warmly. His hazel eyes sparkled as he held his hand out for a handshake. Athena’s hand stopped mid-air, the smile frozen on her face. Those eyes needed no introduction. She knew them almost as well as she knew her own reflection, or at least she had – 5 years earlier, a mere lifetime ago.
“Jonathan Knight.” She whispered before she realized it.
Martin Greenhorn raised an eyebrow. “Have you two met?” He asked as Athena shook Jonathan’s hand and quickly pulled away.
Athena shook her head trying to find her voice. “I –I, he was in one of the magazine articles I read about - about you.” She lied.
“Of course.” Jonathan interjected.
The four of them took their seats, Athena and Richard directly across from their new clients. Quickly, Athena regained her composure. “So, Mr. Greenhorn, Tell me exactly what it is you want Malkin Partners to do for you.”
Martin launched into a long speech of his plans for his company and how Malkin Partners would help him achieve the vision. He was very interested in his work and very confident that Malkin Partners were the right company to bring on board. Athena kept his eye contact for the entire time, being very interested herself. She prided herself with her work and knew that such an important client would expect nothing but her very best work. Richard interrupted a few times to ask questions or elaborate on an idea Mr. Greenhorn has put forward. Jonathan Knight remained silent, only nodding now and then to show that he was agreeing with what Martin was saying. Athena kept her eyes fixed on Martin, except for the few times she would glance at Richard. She kept her eyes away from Jonathan, whom she knew was looking at her. Athena wished he would stop. She was finding it very difficult to concentrate with those hazel eyes following her every move, studying her every expression.
“I certainly think that is enough for us to get started, Mr. Greenhorn.” Athena heard Richard say. “I am leaving this project in the very capable hands of Ms. Charlemagne. She will be your main point of contact, should you need anything.”
“Excellent!” Martin Greenhorn exclaimed.
“When would you like to meet again, Mr. Greenhorn?” Athena asked. “We will need to get started right away. Are you booked up for this afternoon?”
Martin laughed. “Jonathan and I have a full afternoon ahead of us and then I am departing for Paris on holiday. However, Jonathan has the next few weeks to concentrate solely on this project. I will leave the two of you to organize your next meeting.”
Athena’s mouth suddenly became very dry. She glanced at Jonathan, whose expression was unreadable. She flipped open her book and handed a business card to Jonathan with a flourish. “Well, don’t let us keep you from your other engagements. Mr. Knight, please call my assistant to schedule a meeting.” With that Athena stood and gathered her things. “Nice to meet you Mr. Greenhorn.” She then left the meeting room through the private entrance to her office.
Richard Malkin stood and shook hands with his new clients. “I’ll see you to the door.”