- Text Size +
Again I have no idea. I should look this up….



When I woke up Cole was standing over me. What a scary sight to wake up to!

“ Nick, are you okay?”

I didn’t answer. I didn’t really feel anything. I felt numb.

“Nick. Look Cloyd left. I think I’m going to call the police or maybe the hospital. How will you go to school looking like you are? If you go then they’ll-“

“Cole, I’m okay. I can go to school.”

“Nick, I don’t think you’re feeling up to going to school. It’s already Monday. You know how long you’ve been asleep? Mom came home. She’s here now. She never really asked about you. Then again she was tired.”

“Cole, go away. I’m going to school. I can-“

“It’s already time to go. I guess you can’t go Nick because you have to take a shower and get dressed.”

I went to get up but immediately stopped. I felt pain. Not much but enough to make me stop. If I move anymore I’ll be in more pain. I groaned laying back down.

Cole sighed and left saying I wasn’t going.

I guess I’m not going. I fell asleep. It’s weird how you can sleep for a long time and when you wake up, you still feel exhausted.


I woke up to mom staring at me. I thought I was dreaming! I never woke up to mom’s face, only Cole’s or Cloyd’s.

“What happened to you Nicky?”

Did I look that bad?

“Jesus, the school called and said you weren’t there. I thought you had skipped but now I know why you aren’t there. Who did this to you?”

“Who do you think?”

“I think some guy on the street.”

Hey that sort of rhymed! I stayed quiet.

“Was it someone on the street?”

I let out a long sigh. She would never figure it out herself. She thinks Cloyd is the best dad a kid could have!

“It wasn’t someone on the street. Maybe it was one of Cloyd’s friends, I don’t like them anyway.”

She was getting closer.

“I know Cole wouldn’t do this. She’s already worried enough about you. It wasn’t me.”

“It wasn’t one of Cloyd’s friends, mom. Maybe it was someone who you know very well but won’t admit did it.”

I pretty much told her who did it. She must have figured it out because she gasped.

“He wouldn’t do something like this.”

Now I’m going to get yelled at for telling the truth! And mom’s going to tell Cloyd and it’s going to get worse! I should’ve kept my mouth shut.

“He would do something like this. I should’ve known! You always have bruises and I know you don’t get in that many fights. He tells me you need more discipline,” she sighed, “We’re leaving.”

I frowned. Did she just say we’re leaving? I’m not going to die? No wait yes I am but this is over! No, I’m dreaming. Mom could never find out what’s been happening to me my whole life!

She let out a sob. Mom barely ever cried in front of me.

“I am so stupid!”

She wasn’t stupid. I wanted to tell her that but then felt a sharp pain in my side. I sucked in a breath. Maybe God was punishing me for telling my mom? He would kill me them send me to hell? I closed my eyes. I couldn’t die though! What about Cole? Everything that’s been happening to me would pass over to her! Oh God, I prayed, please don’t kill me I have to help Mom and Cole. My eyes closed and I blacked out.


I woke up again to a white room. I read stories about this; people would wake up to a white room and think they were in heaven but be instead in a hospital room. I’ve been in a hospital room before. But this one was white.

“Mom! Nick’s awake!”

“Nick! Dude man, are you okay?”

“Nick!”

“Nick. Just stay calm okay?”

I was calm!

“Breath in and out. In and out honey okay? You’re going to be okay. It’s over.”

“What are you talking about?” I choked out.

“Cloyd damaged your appendix. Nothing too big.”

“I don’t have an appendix? That’s not bad? Where’s Cloyd?”

Mom quieted me, ”Cloyd’s gone and over with. Jail, prison. Don’t worry about him.”

Hey look Brian and Aj were here!

“Yeah don’t worry about him. We got you covered.”

Oh man he’s going to kill me! I am so dead. Losing my appendix was an omen of what’s to come.