- Text Size +
Inner Hell - Chapter Twenty

A hesitant Nick tagged along with AJ as the men walked out in the parking lot toward the rented SUV. An uncharacteristically silent Nick entered the vehicle, sandwiched between AJ and Brian, with Kevin and Howie seated in the front.

"So Nick, I bet you'd like to eat some cheesy pizza," Brian remarked as he looked out the window at the passing scenery.

Nick scrunched his face up in disgust. "I don't like pizza."

AJ and Brian jerked at the response from the young man.

"Did I just hear what I thought I heard you say Nick? You don't like pizza?"

Nick repeated, "I don't like pizza."

"Nick, you love pizza. You used to sneak a pizza delivery up to your hotel room when we were touring," AJ explained.

Nick shook his head defiantly. "I don't like pizza."

"Nick--"

"Jay, let it go, he doesn't like pizza. How about french fries, you like french fries, don't you?" Brian asked.

Nick grinned. "With lots of ketchup."

This time AJ scowled. "You hate ketchup!"

Howie looked over the back seat and tossed an annoyed glare at AJ. "Nick, what do you like on your hamburgers?"

"Mustard and pickels oh and cheese....but I don't want a hamburger."

Kevin looked in the review mirror. "What are you hungry for Nick?"

Sticking his index finger in his mouth, Nick shrugged his shoulders in reply. AJ quickly pulled Nick's finger out of his mouth. "You can't answer with your goddamn hands in your mouth."

Nick's eyes grew round. "You said a bad word."

AJ sighed. "Nevermind, I'm sorry, answer Kevin...he wants to know what you're hungry for since you've already ruled out pizza and hamburgs. I also think that it would be a good idea to get something to go and find a desserted park to eat at like a picnic."

"Why can't we take him to a restaurant?" Brian asked. "You don't want to be seen with Nick or something?"

This time it was AJ that shrugged his shoulders. "It's not that I don't want to be seen.....it's more like I don't want people staring at him and stuff I mean he's been out of public view for over a year and people....you know how mean people can be and I don't think Nick needs to be exposed to this."

Howie shook his head. "I don't think people are going to approach us, I'm pretty sure they'll leave us alone."

"I guess its not a good idea, okay? Can we just leave it at that? It's not a good idea..." AJ hissed, folding his arms across his chest and slouching down into the seat.

After a few moments, Brian finally broke the silence. "You know, I think AJ has a valid point. This is our first time out with Nick and we don't know exactly how things will be going so why don't we get some stuff and have a good old fashioned picnic someplace."

"That's a good idea Rok, I think I saw a park on our way to the nuthouse from the airport," AJ rasped.

Kevin shook his head in disgust. "Jay would you stop calling Sun Valley a nuthouse? That's not a very nice thing to say."

AJ stuck his tongue out at Kevin, causing Nick to go into a giggling fit.

"You like that Nicky?" AJ grinned.

Nick shook his head. "I do that when Nurse Mary isn't looking....she's mean."

Kevin looked in the rearview mirror. "I'm hoping you aren't talking about giving people the finger."

"Nah cuz, Jay stuck his tongue out at you and Nick pretty much thought that was classic," Brian informed.

"Nicky, do you like chicken?" Howie questioned as he turned around in the front seat.

Nick shook his head yes. "I love chicken!"

"Halleuia!" Kevin cried out. "Done deal, we'll stop at KFC and get a barrel of chicken and the fixins and call it a picnic."

Once they found a Kentucky Fried Chicken, Kevin, Howie and Brian walked into the restaurant leaving AJ and Nick in the car. Kevin was deliberate in leaving the tattooed rebel alone with Nick. He knew that AJ was carrying guilt and Kevin felt that some one on one time with Nick would help him come to grips with Nick and accept him the way he is.

"Sooooo um, Nick, do you know what you did before this?"

"Before what?"

"Well before you went to the hospital?"

Confusion spread over the young man's face. "When was I in the hospital?"

AJ sighed as he looked out the window trying to figure out words that Nick would understand. "Okay, do you remember when you were in a band with us?"

Nick furrowed his brow. "I was in a band with you guys?"

"Yep. You were pretty good too, you sang your heart out kid."

"I sang?" Nick asked, eyes widened. "IN FRONT OF PEOPLE?"

"Yeah, tons of people, you were on TV and stuff."

Nick shook his head. "DID NOT."

"Yeah you did too. The girls loved you."

Nick scrunched his face up. "Girls are icky."

"Kaos, what are you saying you like boys now?"

Nick shook his head. "NOOOOO!"

"Shhhh kid, quiet down you're drawing attention to us!"

Nick rocked violently back and forth in the seat shaking his head. "I DON'T LIKE BOYS!"

AJ swatted at his brother. "Knock it the fuck off!"

Nick stopped rocking and stared at AJ with his mouth open. "You said a bad word."

Howie, Kevin and Brian left the store in time to catch a tearful Nick yelling at AJ in the backseat.

"Whoa....whoa. what's wrong Nicky?" Brian asked as he slipped into the backseat next to his young brother.

"He said bad words and he hit me!"

Brian placed a comforting arm around his best friend. "I'm sure AJ didn't mean what he said and he also didn't mean to hit you."

Nick glared at AJ as he tried to move farther away from AJ's side of the seat. After Howie had placed the food in the back of the car he rescued Nick from his tormentor.

"Jay go take a seat up front with Kevin, I'll sit back here with Brian and Nick."

AJ didn't hesitate and quickly exited the vehicle.

"I wanna go home," Nick sniffled quietly as Howie took AJ's place in the backseat.

"What did you say Nicky?" the Latino asked.

Nick wiped the tears off his cheeks. "I wanna go home now."

"Nicky, AJ didn't mean what he said, he's sorry," Howie soothed. Nick set his jaw, his eyes cast downward. "Just give him a chance, you know he can't be that bad I mean you guys both have tattoos."

Kevin shot a dirty look at AJ as he settled into the front seat. "Tell Nick you're sorry," he hissed quietly, leaning over to punch the rebel in the thigh. "Now!"

AJ jerked and quickly rubbed the offended area. "Nick I'm sorry kid....I didn't mean it. Friends?"

Nick stuck his bottom lip out as he pouted.

"Oh for the love of God!" AJ rasped. "This is something the kid never dropped....pull the lip back in Carter. I said I'm sorry, get over it, okay?"

"See Nicky," Brian said cheerfully, "AJ said he's sorry. Lets make up and we'll have fun at the park, alright?"

Nick looked at AJ suspiciously. "I guess," he whimpered.

Kevin glanced up into the rearview mirror. "There, that wasn't so bad now, was it?"

"No it was quite lovely," AJ mocked.

"Kev, that lady at KFC said to turn on Packard," Howie reminded as he saw the wanted street approaching. Kevin guided the vehicle in the direction that was given to the park. Just as Brian, Howie and Kevin had been promised by the woman, they pulled into a large park surrounded by woods. There were several picnic tables and a large wooden play area complete with a pirate ship and several swings.

"Wow!" Nick cried when he saw the play area.

Kevin barely had the car pulled into a parking space when Nick already had his seatbelt unfastened and a hand on the door.

Brian placed a firm hand on the blonde's arm. "Wait for the car to stop!"

Nick obeyed and as soon as Kevin killed the engine, he sprung out of the car and ran toward the play area. The rest of the group got out of the car, AJ being the last, pulling a cigarette to his lips, watching Nick climb onto the pirate ship. "This was a bad fucking idea," he mumbled as he watched Nick. "All we need now is for someone to show up."

Brian smiled as he stood next to AJ, watching Nick. "Did you say something Jay?"

Lighting the cigarette, AJ shook his head. "Nope."