- Text Size +

 

 

A Moment of Truth

 

Kevin sat in the driver’s seat, staring out the window with the keys in the ignition.

 

 

“Are you gonna drive or what?” AJ grumbled inpatiently.

 

 

Sighing, the Kentuckian gripped the steering wheel. “In a sec.”

 

 

Brian leaned towards the font seat. “Want me to drive?”

 

 

“I’m okay….just not sure where to drive to.”

 

 

“You said you were gonna fill me in on the crap you were saying back there,” Nick said as he gestured toward the restaurant. “This would be as good of a place as any as far as I’m concerned.” Again, Kevin sighed; closing his eyes. Studying the older man’s actions, fear washed over the younger man. “What accident were you guys talking about!!” he pressed.

 

 

This time AJ leaned forward to the passenger seat where Nick sat, putting a hand on his young brother’s shoulder. “Nicky, lets just wait.”

 

 

“You are acting like this is some bad secret or something…..please guys, talk to me!”

 

 

“I’m afraid to tell you…I’m afraid of losing you again,” Kevin mumbled, tears pooling in his eyes.

 

 

“I’m not going anywhere,” Nick reassured. “I don’t know why you think you’re gonna lose me…”

 

 

“Kev’s right, maybe telling you this may be too much for you to handle,” AJ rasped. “Forget we even brought the subject up.”

 

 

“Oh my God….are you fucking serious? You can’t just keep saying the word accident and not tell me what you’re talking about. Wait a minute….Howie, did he get in an accident? Is that why he’s not here and you’re not telling me the truth?”

 

 

“Nick, don’t get yourself all worked up---“

 

 

“I’m not worked up,” Nick interrupted, pushing Kevin’s hand away from his chest. “Tell me now or I swear to God….”

 

 

Reaching into the glove box , Kevin pulled out the rental agreement on the car. “Nick, read what’s in the address section.”

 

 

Nick stared at Kevin with confusion and then at the paper.

 

 

“Please take the paper and read it,” Kevin asked as he pushed the paper toward Nick.

 

 

Tilting his head back and clenching his jaw, Nick stared at the roof of the car. “Have you lost your fucking mind?”

 

 

“Just do it,” Kevin insisted.

 

 

Groaning as he snatched the piece of paper from Kevin he looked over at the dark haired man. “I really have no idea what you’re getting at…if I do this then will you tell me what the hell is going on?”

 

 

No one answered Nick’s question; the tension that hung in the air was thick with emotion.

 

 

Sighing loudly, Nick looked down at the paper. Instead of reading the words that were on the form, he suddenly wadded the paper into a ball and dropped it onto the floor. Not to be thrown off by Nick’s movements, Kevin Richardson leaned over and retrieved the paper off the floor. Half expecting to see Nick with a look of anger on his face, he was surprised to see his youngest brother with tears welling up in his eyes.

 

 

Kevin placed a hand on the blonde’s shoulder. “Nicky?”

 

 

“I-I don’t understand…” he stuttered as the tears started to spill down his cheeks.

 

 

“Maybe this wasn’t such a good idea after all,” AJ muttered. “We should have talked to him with his doc or better yet, back at the hotel.”

 

 

“I agree,” Brian chipped in.

 

 

Kevin tossed a warning look toward the occupants of the backseat.

 

 

Nick started sobbing. “W’what’s h-happened t-to m-me?”

 

 

’Fuck’ Kevn whispered. He suddenly realized this was a situation he had no clue how to fix.

 

 

Nick bent over in the front seat and stated to bawl.

 

 

“One of you guys come up and drive us back to the hotel,” Kevin urged suddenly. He knew one of the things that needed to be done was to get the young man back to a safe place since out in the public was not a so-nice place to be at the moment.

 

 

Immediately, AJ and Brian both jumped out from the backseat. “Get your ass back in the car,” AJ yelled as he opened the driver’s door. “We need to get back quick.”

 

 

“And safely,” Kevin reminded as he moved over towards Nick.

 

 

“Which we will,” AJ assured as he put the car into reverse and then squealed the tires as he drove out of the parking lot.

 

 

“Slow it down Jay,” Brian begged as he righted himself in the backseat, trying to quickly fasten his seatbelt.

 

 

“Damn dickheads,” AJ muttered as he tail gated a Cadillac. “That freakin old man can barely see over the steering wheel.” He honked his horn and flashed the middle finger as he sped past the car.

 

 

Ignoring the rebel’s driving methods, Kevin attended to a hunched over Nick, trying his best to soothe him by rubbing his back in small circles. “Ssssh, it will be okay,” he whispered.

 

 

In record time - by Brian’s standards – they arrived back at the hotel. Jerking the car into the nearest parking space, AJ quickly threw the car into park, causing it to lurch to a sudden stop.

 

 

“That’s how tyrannies get wrecked,” Brian grimaced with a shake of his head.

 

 

Killing the engine, AJ waited to see what the Kentuckian wanted to do next with Nick. “How’s he doing?”

 

 

“C’mon, Nicky…lets get back up to the room,” Kevin coaxed as reached down and unfasted the blonde’s seatbelt.

 

 

Brian quickly exited the car and opened the passenger door, taking Nick’s arm. “Take it slow, we’re right here bud.”

 

 

The only sound coming from the group was the young man’s whimpers as the made their way through the parking lot and then through the hotel lobby. They finally got into the hotel room without any incident.

 

 

“Here Nick, why don’t you lay down on the bed,” Kevin suggested as he led him to the bed next to the restroom. Wordlessly, Nick took the older man’s advice and laid back into the bed that Brian had quickly drawn the comforter and sheets back.

 

 

The three men sat quietly and watched to see what the blonde was going to say or do next. Instead of more questions, whimpers were slowly replaced with soft snoring.

 

 

This time it was Kevin Richardson that leaned forward in his seat, resting his head into his hands.”I fucked up…” he whispered.

 

 

“Why would you say that?” Brian questioned.

 

 

“Because he had a breakdown...don’t you remember what the doctor had been telling us about something like that happening?”

 

 

“How can you be so sure that this meant anything? I mean he didn’t really talk after he didn’t read what you gave him,” AJ wondered out loud.

 

 

Staring at the blonde, Kevin could only whisper back. “I just know…I just know….”