- Text Size +

After a long wait, Nick was finally brought back to where Kevin and Brian were waiting. Kevin studied his baby brother skeptically. Brian was quick to flash Nick a smile. "Hey Nick, how are you? Feeling better?"

Kevin quickly gave his cousin a dark look. Before he could add any comment to Brian's question, Dr. Freeman appeared in the doorway.

"I have a call placed to Nick's parents, unfortunately they have not returned my call yet so Nick will have to remain here until we hear otherwise," Dr. Freeman stated in a calm voice. He placed a hand on Nick's forearm. "If you have any questions you can just ask one of the nurses."

Kevin shook his head. "The Carter's haven't called back? No one has talked to them yet!? Maybe they don't recognize your number so they're not answering the call," he added.

"I left both numbers I was given a voice message to return my call," Dr. Freeman reassured. "I have your number Mr. Richardson and I will be sure to contact you as soon as I hear their decision one way or the other." Barring any further questions, the doctor left the room.

"Jerk," Kevin muttered under his breath. "We just can't sit here waiting for one of the Carter's to pull their head out of their ass..." he mumbled as he pulled his cell phone out of his pants pocket. "I'm sure you don't want to stay here anymore Nick."

Brian studied Nick's indifference to the drama that was unfolding in the room. "Nick, do you want to go down and watch tv while Kevin makes some calls?"

Looking at Brian, Nick sighed loudly, "I dunno."

"I think we should give Kevin some privacy," Brian urged as he placed an arm around Nick.

Nick looked over at Kevin and then back at Brian. "I just want to lay down. I'm tired."

Brian glanced at his watch. "Lay down? It's almost time for lunch..."

"Yeah, I'm but I'm tired though," Nick insisted.

This time Brian sighed. "How about you do that after Kevin gets done on the phone?"

Kevin hadn't used his cell yet, he was watching Nick's mannerisms. Dr. Freeman had said that Nick was okay but Kevin was starting to doubt the man's statement. The drug the doctor prescribed - much to Kevin's better judgment - seemed to have Nick acting foggy he thought. 'Maybe he was tired and quiet from all he had gone through over the past few days,' Kevin decided. He pasted a smile on his face. "I'm just gonna call Bob and see if we can take you with us for good, is that alright Nicky?"

Nick shrugged his shoulders. "Sure."

When the voice greeting on the phone started, Kevin Richardson could feel his temper being tested. "Bob, this is Kevin Richardson...you need to call me back regarding Nick A.S.A.P. People have been trying to get a hold of you and Jane for a couple of hours! You have my number, please... just call me back!"

Snapping the cell shut, Kevin shoved it into his pocket. He made his way toward the dark green duffel bag that was on top of a tall dresser. He immediately started to open the drawers, shoving the contents into the open bag.

Brian watched his cousin. "What are you doing?"

"What does it look like I'm doing?" Kevin hissed as he started to take the pictures and books from the shelves.

"No one has called back yet."

"Yeah, so? It's not like Nick will be here anymore."

"Kidnapping is a federal offense.."

"So is murder and I'm getting pretty fucking close to doing that to one of the Carters if they don't call back soon! I'm sure you would like to leave here, right Nick?"

"Probably."

"Can you say something more to us than one word sentences? That has been all you've practically done since that quack of a doctor brought you down here," Kevin wondered out loud.

There's nothing to really talk about," Nick defended.

"We can't take him out until he gets officially discharged," Brian started. "Besides, we don't have any of Nick's medications and instructions."

"Screw the meds," Kevin spat.

"What, so he can have another panic attack?"

"Would you guys please stop fighting about me?" Nick pleaded. "I'm sure I'm okay and I don't think I would have any panic attacks or whatever it is you're talking about."

Brian gestured at Nick. "See...he can't go without getting the okay from his parents and the doctor."

Kevin dismissed Brian's comment. "He can't waste time waiting on his parents. He'll be okay."

A man in light green scrubs appeared in the doorway. "It's time to go down for lunch."

Nick stared at the man, not moving from where he stood.

The man entered the room. "I'll take you down to the dining room."

Nick continued to stare at the man; confused expression on his face.

"He's gonna have lunch with us," Kevin announced with a wave of his hand toward the man, trying to dismiss him from the room.

"Okay, have a good day then," the man replied as he turned to leave the room.

Brian shook his head. "Who else do you plan on alienating today?"

Kevin removed pictures from the shelf on the wall. "Let it go," he growled. Stopping his task, he pulled the cell phone out of his pocket.

Brian sighed. "I'm sure they'll call you, stop bugging them."

"What makes you think I'm calling one of the Carters?," he replied as he dialed. "Yeah, Jay...Nicky got released from the hospital....no, we're waiting for one of his parents to let us take him out of Sun Valley....."

Watching his cousin's actions and hearing AJ's yelling over the receiver, Brian winced hearing the all-too-familiar expletive words uttered by the tattooed rebel; he noticed that the shouting on the other end of the phone even piqued Nick's attention.

"I doubt they would take your call if they aren't even picking up!!" Kevin spat into the phone. "Go ahead and try...." with a shake of his head, Kevin tossed the cell on top of the bed. He continued back to his task of packing Nick's belongings.

Nick smirked. "Having problems, Kev?"

"See....we can just go!" Kevin said as he nodded toward Nick. "He doesn't have to wait for papers!"

Brian walked over to his cousin and put a hand on top of the bag. "You're crazy to think that we can just up and walk out of here, you realize that don't you?"

"Probably, but hell....we can't just sit around here waiting."

As Brian opened his mouth to object, Kevin's cell phone started ringing. He held his hand up to stop the younger man from speaking. Checking the caller ID on the phone he quickly flipped the device open.

"Yeah...you did what?! Bone, please tell me that you didn't threaten them....they called you back?! I honestly don't know what to say.....we'll see you in a few..thanks." Snapping the cell shut, Kevin Richardson was grinning, shaking his head. "I can't believe what he did but it worked."

Brian folded his arms, watching his cousin zip up the duffel bag. "and what did he do?"

Kevin sat on the edge of the bed, looking at Brian and Nick. "AJ said he called Jane and....let's just say he used some colorful words to grab her attention and for some strange reason that worked."

"Kevin Richardson?"

Kevin stood up when a woman in office attire called his name.

"I need you to sign the release paperwork," she said as she pulled out forms from a folder. "Dr. Freeman has left some follow up instructions; Mr. and Mrs. Carter have designated you to be a 'guardian of Nickolas,' temporarialy until a court date can be set up to outline explicitly your control over their son."

"That makes no sense whatsoever," Nick sighed. "Just give me the papers to sign myself out of here and we'll just go."

Kevin looked over at his brother. "Nick, it's not that simple. Just let me take care of the papers. Sit tight."

Brian placed a hand on Nick's shoulder and the blond quickly dipped away from the Kentuckian; his breathing started to speed up.

"Hey, how about we take your stuff down to the car while Kevin finishes up?"

Kevin's glare of disapproval from the interruption quickly softened when he followed his cousin's eyes toward Nick. He knew the posture all-too-well and the last thing Nick needed was to have an episode. He wanted to take him away from SunValley. As quickly as possible.

Kevin tossed the keys to Brian. "That's a good idea, I'll meet y'all in the parking lot."

Without saying anything further, Brian grabbed Nick by the arm. "C'mon Nicky, let's get out of here."

It wasn't until Brian got out by the car noticing how Nick looked back at Sun Valley, did he realize what *Nick* they were left with. He wasn't sure if he could or better yet, how they could handle this!