- Text Size +
Inner Hell
Guilt

“Kev, would you just stop with the pacing, I’m sure Nick will be down here in a few, you called detail, they’ll bring him,” Brian soothed, growing tired of watching his cousin pace the floor and sigh loudly every three to four steps.

Kevin raked a hand through his dark hair, shaking his head. “I don’t know why or how come that kid has gotten so irresponsible.” He stopped in midstep and turned a hardened glare at AJ. “And you of all people should know better than to leave someone drunk by themselves!”

A slight grin played across AJ’s mouth.

“I’M SERIOUS! IT’S NOT FUNNY!”

“God, wouldja just chill? Judas, you’d think that Nicky drank the whole bar! I’m sure he’ll be down here with a full blown hangover trying to act like there’s nothing wrong. God.”

“Besides that, we can mess with his head since he’ll have a beautiful headache,” Howie offered.

Just as Kevin opened his mouth to reply, a firm knock came from the hall door. He looked at Brian and AJ, his eyebrow raised in question.

“Kid’s probably too scared to just walk in,” AJ snickered as he walked over to answer the door.

“Yo Nickster, how’s the....” AJ stopped the interrogation when the door was fully open and he saw Bruce from management with a Ohio State Police Trooper.

Bruce stood inside the doorway, face ashen. After a few moments, the Trooper closed the door behind them.

“Mr. Carter was taken to Riverside Methodist Hospital,” the trooper stated in a hushed business-like tone.

“What for?” AJ rasped. Thoughts of alcohol poisoning drifting into his mind as well as Kevin’s, Brian’s and Howie’s.

“Overdose,” came the reply.

Brian gasped, AJ shook his head and Howie looked as if he was in a state of shock.

“Overdose of alcohol?” AJ asked in a quiet voice, fearing that this could have been prevented if he had stayed with Nick.

Pulling out a notepad, the officer shook his head.

“We need to go to him!” Brian stated as he stood up.

“Sit down,” the officer ordered. “I have a few questions to ask before you go anywhere.”

AJ stood up and started moving towards the door.

“I said to sit down!” the officer growled.

“This is assinine! Why can’t we go to the hospital? You can’t make us sit in the room because you just can’t!” AJ rambled, frustration evident in his voice.

“Because, when we suspect a sucide attempt, we need to question everyone that was with the individual,” the man replied. Gesturing with his pen he pointed at the chair that AJ had stood up from. “Now, sit down!”

AJ took his seat again, folding his arms across his chest.

“Suicide? Not Nick, no way,” Howie shook his head.

“What are they thinking he overdosed on?” Kevin asked quietly.

“Are you that stupid? No one tries to kill themselves on JD,” AJ glared at the policeman.

Kevin shot a warning look at AJ.

“We’re believing narcotics. The crime unit is in the room taking evidence.”

Brian looked at the faces of everyone in the room, tears brimming in his eyes. “How is he.... is he...”

“He’s alive, that’s all I know at this point,” the officer stated grimly.