- Text Size +
Chapter 4 * Bye, Bye Broom

Nicole stood outside the broom shop in town with her face pressed against the window. The broom she wanted was in the window. She, Ashley, Christina, Molly, Kerry and Leigh Ann came to town to go shopping and for Nicole to see how much the brooms were. She did not want to ride the school’s broom for the rest of the year. You could not push it the way she was able to push her old broom.

“Nicole, don’t do that.” Ashley said. “It’s very unattractive.” She looked in the window. “What are you drooling over in there?”

“A cloud skimmer 200.” Nicole said.

“Why aren’t you in there drooling over it.”

“The owner kicked me out.” Nicole let her eyes leave the broom to look at the owner of the shop so she can glare at him.

“So what’d your mom say about your broom?”

“She sent me a nasty latter yesterday. Saying I should have been more careful and I shouldn’t have been on a broom in the first place without my necklace.”

“So how much money did you get?”

“Not enough. I have money saved up for a new broom but I was hoping to have enough in a couple years not now.” She looked at her future broom.

“Maybe you should get a one of the Shooting Stars.”

“No way. You saw what happened when I pushed my stupid Moonbeam 4 faster then it could go. A Shooting Star will came apart the first day and then it would have been a waste of my money. I need a Cloud Skimmer 200. It’s unbreakable and matches speed of Blaze’s Thunder Bolt.” She said darkly.

“Nicole it’s not the broom that makes you fast it’s the rider.”

“That’s why I want a fast broom. So I can go faster.”

“Winning isn’t every thing!”

“I’m not all about winning. I only want to win when I’m up against Blaze or any one form Ares.”

“That’s it you really need to get away from that broom. I think it’s rotting your brain.” Ashley grabbed her arm.

“There’s glass between us.” Nicole said weakly.

“Come on you need clothes.”

“Bye, bye broom.” Ashley dragged her the way to the others. “Ash you know I can’t buy anything I’m saving up for my broom.”

“Why don’t you ask Zac to buy you a broom? He has money he can afford it.”

“He already offered.”

“And you said?”

“No.” Ashley stopped walking and turned around.

“What!?”

“I said no.”

“Why? A guy offers to buy you something and you say NO.” Ashley stated hitting her with her purse. “Are you stupid?”

“Ow! A broom is too expensive I’d feel bad if I can’t… Stop hitting me.” She snatched the purse out of Ashley’s hand. “I’d feel bad if I can’t pay him back.”

“Did he say you had to pay him back?”

“No, he said it would be an early birthday gift. But I told him it was an expensive gift I won’t except it.”

“Not for him! He is riding a Thunder Bolt, the most expensive broom there ever was. So buying a Cloud Skimmer 200 will be chump change to him!” Leigh Ann, Molly and Kerry came out of one of the stores.

“What’s going on out here?” Leigh Ann said. “First we see Ashley hitting you then we can hear her yelling.” Ashley pointed at Nicole.

“Zac offered to buy a broom for her and she refused.”

“What?!” They all said at the same time.

“Am I the only one who sees something wrong with this whole thing?” Nicole said. “Is this something you want to teach Kerry? That a guy can buy her anything she wants.” She asked Molly. She stood there thinking.

“You know she’s right.” Molly said to the others.

“No we are not going to loss you to her insane talk.” Ashley said.

“Ash!” Nicole yelled. “I rather buy the broom with my own money that I earned on my own.”

“Swallow your pride and let Zac buy you the stupid broom!”

“No. Ash most my life my parents were without money but they were able to afford my sibling and I to go to this school pulse school supplies, uniforms and clothes. Even if most of them were hand me downs. Not once did my parents borrow money form anyone they worked for it themselves. And that’s how I was raised. I’ll get that broom myself if that means making sacrifices.”

“How are you going to earned the money to get the broom before our next assignment? Your parents don’t send you enough allowance each week.”

“I’ll work in the library.” Nicole walked away.

“You can’t work in the library!” Ashley yelled after her. “The poor kids work in the library!”

“And I am a poor kid!” Nicole yelled over her shoulder. Leigh Ann put her hand on Ashley’s shoulder.

“That’s Nic for you. She doesn’t care what people think of her.”

“But Zac will.”