- Text Size +
Isabelle ran into the woods blindly, her tears streamed down her cheeks as she ran. She just wanted to be away from this, to be home safe and warm with her father and her James. She could hear horses running behind her. She was determined to stay away from them; she didn’t want to go back there. It was as if the gates of hell had opened up and had shown her what war really was about. Tripping over a log that lay in the road she dropped her knees and began to sob, she was wet, muddy and cold. Fear apparent in her shaking form. She could hear the horse drawing nearer to her as she fought to get herself to a standing position.
“ Isabelle.” The voice called out. She could hear several more voices calling out to her. Genuine concern deep in them as they searched the woods for her.
“ ISABELLE!” Jarold called out over the thunder. He needed to find his niece; this was no place for a lady, let alone a lady as fragile as she was. He had always known that Kevin sheltered his daughter from many things, war being one of them. He hated that and wondered how Kevin ever expected his daughter to ever understand why things where happening.

Jarold stopped his horse and looked around, the rain was coming down harder now and it was becoming difficult to see.
“ ISABELE” He called out into the woods again.
“ Sir there is no sign of the girl.”
“ She has to be found. Sergeant I want more men on this. She is to be unharmed.” Jarold said making sure they understand that his niece was to be returned unharmed.
“ We understand sir. But with the rain coming with such force and the winds she will be difficult to find.”
“ I don’t care I want her found.” Jarold said.




Isabelle found herself completely lost, the voices that had been calling to her before where not calling to her anymore. She was now lost and wondering if her uncle was still looking for her. She looked around and started to cry again as the rain started coming down harder.
“ Why did I run off.” She asked herself looking around.
“ Well hello little missy.” She heard a voice say. Isabelle turned to face the two men that now held a gun to her.
“ Leave me alone.” Isabelle said backing away from them.
“ What is such a pretty girl doing out in the woods alone?” One asked reaching out to touch her face. Isabelle jerked backwards stumbling over a log and landing hard on the ground.
“ J..Just leave me alone.” She stuttered trying to slid backwards away from the men.
“ Don’t think so missy.” The other said grabbing her legs and pulling her back towards them. He lifted her up and threw her over his shoulder. Isabelle screamed and kicked in protest as she tried to get away.


Jarold looked up as Isabelle’s scream filled the night air.
“ Find her now.” Jarold said running his horse at full gallop to find his scared niece.
“ ISABELLE!”
“ UNCLE” He heard her call back. “ HELP ME!” Jarold prayed he’d find her in time.


The two men stopped and looked around, they could hear voices calling out to the young woman and she had called back to them. Now one of the men held her close, his hand over her mouth silencing any cries.
“ Your uncle a soldier?” One asked looking at her. Isabelle’s eyes showed anger and fear as she looked at the man. The other man moved his hand and held tightly to her arms.
“ My Uncle is an Army Captain.” She said trying to wrench her arms free.
“ They won’t find you. We know these woods better than anyone don’t we Jeb.”
“ Sure do Ed.” Jeb answered. Ed moved his hand over her cheek; Isabelle turned her face from him. Ed growled and then backhanded her hard. Isabelle let out a painful whimper as she looked at him with tears in her eyes.
“ Let’s get moving Jeb.” Ed said heading into the woods further. Jeb nodded and grabbed Isabelle again.
“ No, I won’t go with you. Let me go. UNCLE!” She screamed trying to break free. Jeb placed his hand over her mouth again as he struggled to keep her still. Ed turned and smiled as he held up the rope that had been threw the loops of his pants. He had also been holding a large length of rope since they had been out hunting. He took the rope and tied her arms and then took the bandanna that had been around his neck and shoved it into her mouth. With the large piece of rope he ran a line with it and pulled her forward.
“ Ma will be so happy to think we finally found us a girl.”
“ Yes that she will.” Ed answered as he yanked on the rope pulling Isabelle forward. Tears streamed down her cheeks as she looked around the woods, she could hear her name being called and knew now she couldn’t call back. She looked up as Jeb and Ed stopped walking.
“ Release the girl.” She heard a man say.
“ She’s ours.” Jeb growled grabbing Isabelle by the hair causing her to cry out in pain.
“ Release her.” She heard another man say. Jeb looked around and saw that they were surrounded. Jeb shoved Isabelle away from him causing her to fall to her knees in the mud. There was no where she could go Ed still held the length of rope that was secured to her arms.
“ Release my niece now.” Jarold said raising his bayonet. “ Or suffer a fate worse than death sir.”
“ The little lady was found wondering the woods. We were only helpin her.” Jeb said.
“ Helpin her by how? Kidnapping her?” Jerold said anger apparent in his voice.
“ Why no sir. The child was upset.”
“ The child is frightened. Release her NOW!” Jerold said advancing on the two men. He was with in reach of Isabelle; he could almost touch her. Jeb backed away as Ed dropped the rope and turned tail and ran.
“ Get them.” Jerold said as they ran after the two men. Jerold dropped to his knees next to his niece. He gathered her shaking form into his arms and held her, he finally untied her and just sat there in the rain letting her cry.
“ I’m sorry uncle. I should never have run off.” Isabelle said between sobs.
“ It’s all right, you’re ok.” Jerold said kindly. He ran his fingers over her face and touched her cheek. “ You know I’d never let anything bad happen to my favorite niece.”
“ Thanks.” She whispered as she held onto him tightly. Jerold stood and lifted her small frame into his arms and took the reins of the horse and began walking back to the camp.
“ Sir, would you like me to take her?” A young soldier asked.
“ No, she’s my responsibility I’ll take care of her.” Jerold said, as they made it threw the gates of the camp. Brian came running towards them and looked at Isabelle.
“ She’s burning up with fever.” Brian said touching her face.
“ I know. Being out in the rain as long as she has soaked her threw. Soldier fetch the doctor.”
“ Yes sir.” The young soldier said running towards the other side of the camp.
“ Come with me.” Jerold said heading towards his sleeping quarters. He shoved the door open and turned and looked at Brian.
“ Light the lantern.” He said to his cousin. He walked over and lay Isabelle down on the meager bed.
“ What are we going to do?”
“ I have to get these wet cloths off of her.” Jerold said as he began to pull Isabelle’s dress free. He tossed it aside and finally had her completely undressed and Brian gasped and turned away.
“ You’ve never seen a naked woman before Brian?”
“ She’s my cousin and your niece.”
“ And she’s ill. I had to do that. Find me a long night shirt, there should be one within my cloths.” Jerold instructed as he began to dry Isabelle off. Brian retrieved the piece of clothing Jerold had asked for and handed it to him. Jerold lifted Isabelle’s half-conscious form and pulled the shirt over her head. He lay her back against the pillow and pulled the blankets up as far as he could. Brian let the doctor in once he had arrived.


Kevin looked at the sky and saw that the rain had finally stopped, he was begging to wonder if the rain was ever going to stop. It had rained for nearly a week.
“ Sir there is an urgent message for you.”
“ From where?”
“ It’s from a Captain Jerold Richardson.”
“ My brother, give it here boy.” Kevin said quickly taking the paper from the young boy. The boy nodded and hurried off to finish his assigned tasks.

Kevin
I know that at times like these finding word from family is heart lifting but I don’t write you for that reason. I hope this letter finds you safe and alive. Your daughter seems to have been brought to my camp last month. She became angry when she realized that I was fighting for the north. She rushed out into the storm and we spent several hours combing the woods looking for her.


Kevin stopped reading right there unsure if he could handle hearing that his daughter had died. He looked around the camp and saw young men in several states of injury; he hopped that his daughter had not become a causality of this war. Finally finding the courage he began to read the letter again.

Isabelle was found safe, but in a rather bad state as it seemed two mountain men happened upon her and had decided to keep her for their own. She was frightened but unharmed by these men; they have been punished for what they tried. Isabelle spent as much as several hours in the rain and became very ill. We feared several times we would lose her, but with Brian’s prayers and the doctor’s help Isabelle is alive and healthy. But I am plagued with another problem. This is no place for a woman and even in her healthiest state Isabelle has always been a frail child. I have decided to send her to the convent near Brian’s church where she will be cared for and protected until you can return to her. I hope that soon you can return to us all.

Jerold.

Kevin whipped the tears from his eyes and nodded. It was for the best that Isabelle stay at the convent, the nuns there would be kind to her and she would learn some things as well. He would return to her, he did not wish for his daughter to think he had abandoned her.
“ Sir? I was told to wait and see if you had a message to return to the Captain.”
“ Are you from the north boy?”
“ I am but a messenger for both sides, making sure that families remain families.” He said, he spoke with wisdom beyond his years.
“ I shall pen a letter now for the Captain and my daughter. Be sure they both receive the letters.” Kevin said.
“ Yes sir.” The boy said sitting outside the tent.