- Text Size +
Kevin was in so much pain, he tried to stay upright on the horse as the mid day sun beat down on him. He could never remember it being so hot. Sweat poured down his face as he tried to focus on the trail in front of him. He felt a hand pull him upright as he started to slid off the saddle.
“ We will be there soon.” Eric said as he reached over and righted Kevin again. Kevin nodded his head and looked towards their destination.
“ Sir, we’ve brought a prisoner.” The sergeant said.
“He looks injured.”
“ He was shot in the leg.” Eric added quickly.
“ Take him to the infirmary I’ll get the captain.”
“ Yes sir.” Eric said helping Kevin off the horse and then held him up as he led him to the infirmary. A pretty nurse with chestnut colored hair looked up at them.
“ More wounded. Where did you find this one?” She asked.
“ He’s from the other side. Sergeant Caleb shot him.” Eric said.
“ Put him on the bed, I’ll fetch the doc.” She said.
“ Sure thing Dianna.” Eric said as he lay Kevin on the bed and waited while Dianna found the doctor.
“ How bad is he Eric?”
“ He’s been shot in the leg doc, I think he’s lost a lot of blood but Sergeant Caleb wouldn’t let me help him.”
“ Oh that sounds like him. Where is the Captain?”
“ Coming. Sergeant Caleb went to get him. Seems he wanted to be the one to show him his new prize.” Eric said his voice full of disgust. They all looked up as Jerold entered the infirmary.
“ Who is our newest … Oh god that’s my brother.” Jerold said looking at Kevin’s face.
“ That’s your what sir?”
“ My little brother. His daughter was here months back.”
“ Sir?”
“ Leave Mr. Caleb.” Jerold said sitting down next to Kevin.
“ What can you do for him doc?”
“ I’ll have to remove the bullet so Diana will have to help me. I will come and get you when we are done.” He said.
“ Thanks doc. Well little brother what a fine mess you’ve gotten yourself into this time.” Jerold said moving Kevin’s hair out of his face.


Eric came running to Jerold’s office a few hours later.
“ Sir, your brother is awake and asking for the company commander.”
“ I’ll be right there.” Jerold said standing. Eric moved out of the room and down the long corridor. Jerold could hear Kevin shouting down the hall.



“ I want to see the company commander.” Kevin shouted trying to get off the bed; it was taking three soldiers to hold him down.
“ Stay where you are or we will be force to restrain you.” The doctor said looking at him. Kevin narrowed his eyes but still finally stopped fighting with the soldiers.
“ I can hear you all the way down the hall. What’s the point in throwing a fit?” Jerold asked walking into the room.
“ How did you get here?” Kevin asked looking at his brother.
“ You asked for the company commander here I am.”
“ You traitor.”
“ That would be you brother dear. But that’s beside the point. Isabelle was here month’s back. She is safe.” Jerold said looking at him.
“ You where kind to my daughter. Will you be as kind to me?”
“ I have to keep you here for a while. I will see when you can return to your family.”
“ Send word to Isabelle?”
“ Write her a letter yourself. The messenger can make sure she gets it.” Jerold said to him.


Kevin lay on the cot looking at the ceiling wondering what his daughter was doing right now. He knew she was safe, but could she handle being reunited with him right now. He wanted to see her so badly, but in his injured state and he wasn’t sure exactly how bad she was. He picked up the paper and began writing

My dear Isabelle.

I know that I haven’t written in a long time. But I fear I have been wounded and am unable to come for you. I know that you are safe and alive, I’ve been here in your uncle Jerold’s camp and he says that you are in fair health. My dearest child, I want to be with you again. Please if this letter reaches you in time. Find a way to return to you uncle’s camp. I will be here waiting for you.

All my love
Your father.


“ Kevin is the letter ready?”
“ Yeah, here.” Kevin said handing the letter to his brother.
“ I will make sure that this gets to Isabelle with up most urgency.”
“ Thank you.” Kevin said closing his eyes; sudden wave of exhaustion hit him.
“ Get some rest little brother.” Jerold said leaving the room.


“ Make sure these letters are delivered to Isabelle Richardson and Father Brian Littrell. I want to have a response from both of them when the letters are received.”
“ Yes sir. Do you want us to bring them back here?”
“ Yes if they say they will. Be careful with Isabelle she’s fragile.”
“ Yes sir.” The soldier said as he mounted his horse and headed out of the camp. He knew it was a full days ride to the church.


Isabelle hid in a small dark corner. She could her the soldiers shouting as they made their way down the hall. She hoped she would remain hidden. Being in a southern seminary she had hoped she would be safe. No one had ever thought of ever breaching the sanctuary of the church. But these soldiers seemed hell bent on finding what they where looking for. She could feel the heat of the flames as they rushed threw the church. The screams of the nuns could be heard down the halls.
“ Dear lord make it stop.” Isabelle cried. She shrieked as she felt hands grab her and pull her from her hiding place.
“ Isabelle, your safe.” Brian soothed.
“ But the soldiers.” She cried.
“ Where trying to get survivors out. The church burst into flames, a miss fired cannon.” Brian soothed as he led her from the now burning church. She had heard the cannon fire and had assumed they where under attack and had hid herself in a small cabinet.
“ But I heard the nuns crying, some screaming.”
“ They where the ones lost to the fire, as nearly where you.” Brian said smoothing back her soot covered hair.
“ There where so many voices.” Isabelle cried.
“ I know.” He said. He held her close as several soldiers approached them.
“ She is not a nun?” One asked looking at her torn and nearly burnt dress.
“ She was sent to the church for safe keeping, her father fights in the war. Her uncle felt the church would be the safest place for her.” Brian explained.
“ Here take this.” A young soldier said giving him a large blanket.
“ Thank you.” Brian said taking the blanket and covering Isabelle with it. He could feel her shaking under his touch as the events of the evening sank in.
“ Come there is a camp a days ride from here.” One said. Brian nodded he knew the place well, they had been there nearly a year before.
“ Commander Jerold Richardson still in charge?”
“ Yes sir. We were sent to find survivors when we heard the church had been burnt. I was sent to bring Father Brian Littrell and Miss Isabelle Richardson back to the camp. Her father has been found.” He said.
“ I am Father Brian, and this is Isabelle.” Brian said.
“ Come we have a wagon you can ride in.” He said handing Brian the two letters that he had carried. He had kept them safely tucked inside his uniform.
“ Thank you. Come Isabelle.” Brian said leading his cousin to the waiting wagon. Two soldiers helped her onto the wagon then helped Brian.
“ How many lost?” Brian asked before they pulled away.
“ Half a dozen, including the mother superior, she had rushed back in to help several escape.” The soldier driving the wagon said. Brian made the sign of the cross and said a short prayer.
“ May god be with you all.” He whispered.
“ Brian, will it ever be normal again?”
“ Some day.” Brian said holding Isabelle close.