- Text Size +
The security guards let the boys know that the crowd in the dining room had cleared out and only a few people remained, an old couple and a lone girl. Nick pulled on a shirt and headed down with the rest of the guys; he could go for a sandwich after their trip.
When they arrived he saw that the bodyguards weren't lying when they gave the room's inventory of people. The older couple were finishing up and the girl looked like she was just going to read until the diner closed. Nick took a closer look at the book the girl was reading; it looked like she was reading The Law of Love. He noticed her look up briefly and then look quickly back down to her book, so he advanced over to her, intrigued by her behavior.

"How unusual is that? I'm staying in the same hotel as the boys themselves," he heard her whisper to her book.

"Does your book talk back?" he asked her.

She looked up at him. "I, uh.. well... oh boy, this is embarrassing."

Nick couldn't help but smirk a bit at her. "It's all right, really. I shouldn't have been eavesdropping in the first place. Do you mind if I join you?" Nick couldn't believe what just came out of his mouth. He never approached girls in this manner.

She stared at him for a second before responding, "Yeah, sure, sit."

He took a seat across from her and watched her put her book away and take a sip of her drink.

"What's your name?" he asked her.

"My name is Lorena," she said quietly.

"You know, you don't have to be quiet; there aren't many people you could disturb in here." He noticed her smile at this, and it made him smile. He felt comfortable with her and wanted her to not feel uptight just because of who he was. He had to find a way for her to forget who he was. "My name is Nick," was the best thing he could think of at the moment. He noticed her giggle at this. "What are you doing here alone?"

He listened as she explained to him her trip and then her friends bailing at the very last minute. Her explanation seemed wordy, but Nick didn't mind; it was nice to talk with her.

"I'm sorry," she started, "I shouldn't bore you like this. I'm sure you have much more interesting conversations with other girls."

"No, no. I don't mind. I did ask you what happened. Can I ask you a question?"

"Sure."

"Do you want to have a late snack with me tomorrow after the concert?" Nick couldn't believe that just came out of his mouth. He'd just asked another girl out, a girl he just met, a girl whose name and how she was alone at the moment were the only things he really knew about her.

"I... uh... okay," was her response.

"Well, you certainly sounded confident about that answer," he quickly responded.

"No, I want to go; it is just strange to be asked out so quickly and by someone who could probably get any girl he wanted."

"Well, it's strange for me to ask a girl out so quickly, so you must be special." Nick looked up and noticed the others leaving and his bodyguard signaling him to head off. "Well, until tomorrow; shall we meet here around eleven?" He waited for her to nod her head at him, then turned and left. He had felt so welcome and left with contentment so that he didn't even notice that he didn't eat so much as a bite.