- Text Size +
Chapter Eleven.





Sitting in a waiting room wasn’t one of Nick’s best qualities at all. He couldn’t stop fidgeting, looking at the clock or huffing a puffing. Kevin had gone to sleep, so had Aj and Howie. He was the only one awake, he shouldn’t be really, it was 5 past midnight. He was the only one awake except for the night nurses and some doctors and maybe some patients. He wondered if Brian was? It wouldn’t hurt to go see would it? It wouldn’t do any harm is he was asleep would it? Nick thought for a second before making damn sure that the guys were asleep before sneaking off to Brian’s room. Carefully, he peered around the corner of the wall and looked for a nurse. None. He smiled and made his way towards the door that held his best friend inside and was about to pull on the handle when a nurse stood next to him. Quiet shoes come in handy.

“Sweetie? What are you doing up so late at night? Anything I can help you with?” she asked, smiling at him. Nick blushed as though he was had just been caught taking sweets without asking.

“Umm, I just wanted to see my friend. He broke his nose and I’m worried and can’t sleep because of it. Will it be ok to sleep in his room?” he asked shyly and she smiled.

“Yes of course it is. You know, I’ll fetch some blankets and some pillows for you then I’ll write a note for your friends over there”, she nodded in the guys’ direction, “To let them know where you are so they don’t worry honey, ok?” she said and he nodded with a smile. She quickly disappeared and returned shortly afterwards with a folded blanket and two pillows. Nick opened the door carefully to the sound of the monitor beeping away and the nurse quietly pulled out the fold-down bed from underneath Brian’s bed and opened it up by the corridor window, did the blanket and pillows for him and smiled.

“Hope you sleep ok now dear. Goodnight.” She said and quietly shut the door behind her, leaving Nick, a sleeping Brian and beeping alone in the room. He smiled and climbed into his little bed and settled down s that he was facing Brian and quickly fell asleep.

The nurse stood outside in the corridor and peeped through the blinds, watching Nick as he fell asleep and smiled softly before going to do the little note. Getting a small post-it-note pad and a pen, she stood in front of Kevin and wrote:


‘The little blond can be found in Mr. Littrell’s room. Sister Grace.’ And she carefully stuck it to his forehead before leaving with a slight chuckle.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

When morning came, around about 8 o’clock, Brian woke up to the sight a rumpled blond hair, a very innocent face and a blanket half on the floor. He smiled and rubbed his eyes and wiped his hands across his face, which, in turn made him scream in pain. Nick literally fell off his bed and hit the floor face first, which made Brian lean over while wincing in pain. A nurse came rushing in to see what was going on and saw the pained expression on Brian’s face as well as a very dazed 14 year old trying to get up off the floor. She put her hands on her hips and tried to look annoyed.

“What went on in here then?” she asked.

“I woke up and wiped my hand across my face, forgetting about this,” Brian said while pointing at his nose, “As for Nick? I don’t know. I think I startled him when I screamed. Sorry dude.” He said while Nick tried to get up, his hair hiding his face. He just mumbled something and stood up the best he could.

“Nnnnngggg my face hurts!” he whined and held his face in his hands. Nothing was broken or bleeding, just a little sore from the impact. The nurse checked both of them for any other injuries before leaving to get Brian his breakfast. He was going to be discharged today, hopefully. Maybe not, after what he did to himself just a few moments ago, he could do it again and with no nurse or anything, he’d be a bit stuck.

“Sorry Nick.”

“S’ok man. How you feelin’ today?” Nick asked while tugging the blanket back up on to his little bed.

“Better. Slight headache but that’s to be expected after what I just did to myself!” Nick and Brian started laughing as the nurse came back in with some toast for Nick, some orange juice and some porridge and milk for Brian.

“Don’t chew so much this time, it’ll hurt more.” She said and left again with a smile. The two boys tucked into the food and started a small chat about things.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“WHERE’S NICK GONE?” Kevin bellowed and AJ started laughing at him once he’d registered he was awake. Howie shook his head and got up. Kevin was looking about all over the place while the little green post-it was bouncing up and down on his forehead and he hadn’t spotted it yet.

“Dude, it’s says where on your head.” Howie said and walked past him to the water-cooler. Kevin looked up and grabbed the note before reading it out loud.

“Oh, that’s where he is. Figures.” AJ was still laughing at him when Howie got back. Some people are weird in the morning.