- Text Size +
Chapter Twelve


It was noon now and AJ had taken Howie to the canteen for some food while Kevin started nagging the consultant about whether or not they were going to let Brian leave now. So far, it was proving pointless. Meanwhile, Nick and Brian were sat in an awkward silence, Brian staring at Nick, Nick staring at a spot on the wall next the window. He had to say something but his teenage mind would only bugger it up somehow. Brian had now gone into a daze and was picturing himself sitting on a secluded beach, talking with Nick and holding his hand, kissing him and laughing with him like nothing was wrong in the world...nice thought but nothing from it would ever be true. Brian focused when he heard mumbling from Nick and asked what he said again.

"I said I wonder if they'll let you out today, I mean, Kev's kinda nagging again," he said with a soft smile at Brian before looking out of the window this time. Brian made a small noise, like a hum or something, before he hit the nurse button. A few moments of silence later, a nurse came in and smiled at the both of them.

"Yes?" she asked as she came over to Brian to check his forehead. Nick still gazed out of the window, "Feeling ok dear?"

"Yeah, I'm ok. Just wondering if there's any progress in my going home anytime soon?" he saked while she checked his monitors and drip bag for low fluid. She smiled at him after fluffing his pillows.

"Sweetie, the consultant has to run a few checks and then he'll come see you. He's the one who decides dear, I'm sorry I can't help," she said with a sad smile. Nick also smiled sadly before he stared blankly at the wall again, eyes huge. Brian sighed and nodded to the nurse who took her leave and shut the door. Brian huffed and before to eat some grapes that Howie had got from the hospital shop.

"Want one Nick?" he asked, holding one out in the palm of his hand. Nickswayed before he snapped back into reality, smiled and took the grape. A burning shock of electricity stung Nick's fingers and Brian's palm. Their eyes locked.

"Bri?" Nick asked, his voice wavered. Brian could only stare into those huge blue eyes, seeing confusion and something else...hurt? Pain? Lonliness? He couldn't decide. He wanted to see...but that was impossible. But what should he do now?

Nick was feeling equally confused. What should he do? Um, talk, break eye contact...he couldn't though. Those eyes were captivating and hypnotizing him. Why did he feel weird all of a sudden? Why did his stomach turn left, right and centre? It was a very odd feeling. He didn't know what he should do. His fingers were still touching Brian's palm. His heart was pounding so loud he could hear it and he felt strangely...aware? Brian was staring at him, like he was reading the very lines of his soul, as if he was looking for something he couldn't already see. Nick had the strangest urge to comfort the older teen. But how? Slowly, he stood up and walked cautiously towards Brian, sat on the bed and looked into his eyes, studied his face. He felt as though the whole room around them had disappeared and they were in some white space, alone. Nick could feel Brian's warmth pull him closer until their lips were mere inches apart when the consultant opened the door. Luckily, he was looking at his clipboard and had a nagging Kevin behind him. Nick smiled and pretended to be studying Brian's bust nose.

"...Yeah. Black eyes man, serious swelling. Looks funny!" he said before he turned around to give Kevin a smile and he went back over to his chair and proceeded to watch the consultant.

"Mr.Littrell, I have checked on your recent X-ray and all seems to be well. As far as blood tests and scans are concerned, you are fine and can leave as soon as you like," said the consultant with a genuine smile. Kevin almost collapsed in relief. Must have been nagging forever. Brian smiled in relief and so did Nick.

"Thank you very much Doc! Thanks for sorting my nose out and for being so gentle when you put the splint on," he said back, shaking the consultants hand. Kevin shook his hand too and said his thanks, then the consultant faced Nick who took his hand and shook it when it was offered. That was a first, he had his hand shaken by someone really important. Cool. Now all they had to do was discharge Brian, find Howie and AJ and go back to the hotel.