- Text Size +
Chapter two.


Where were they this time? He was getting tired of being moved about and no one telling him where they were going. He had his rights ya know, to know at least a little bit about where they were! Why did they always treat him like he wasn’t there? As if he was some kind of shadow in the corner. Sometimes they could at least let him join in conversations and stuff or even acknowledge that he was there!

“I wish people would do one or the other…” he spoke out loud to himself as he gazed out onto the city in front of him, glowing with little lights from windows. It was a cold, breezy night but he stayed out on the balcony away from the rest of them. They wouldn’t even notice if he was there or not so he didn’t see why he couldn’t be out there, thinking. “…either at least speak to me or do the other, leave me the hell alone. I wonder if they even know what it’s like? Hmm? To be ignored constantly and to treated like a baby! To feel like they’ve been forgotten all the time? I wonder if they know what it feels like?! It’s worse than dieing…” he whispered sharply and loudly to himself as the breeze tickled his hair. He sighed and carried on looking out over the dark city. The beautiful twinkling of lights and silent noise of the wind somehow hypnotized him

“Man…I hope they eventually know how it feels to be like me.” He said before he pushed himself up from he leaning position and pulled his forearms away from the balcony rails and turned to walk inside, but not before taking one last look at the peaceful city. He didn’t know where it was or what it was called but he did know one thing, it was beautiful. He walked inside and slid the French windows shut and put the small catch on so they wouldn’t fly open during the night. He sighed and walked into the middle of the small room that you would see as a living room and looked around.

“I need food!” he said pretty loud and decided to go down into the lobby and find someone who had ice cream! If No one had any he figured he could settle for a bag of sweets or something similar. He found his keycard and opened the door and walked out, closing behind himself and making sure it ‘clicked’. He slid his keycard into his baggy jeans; the pocket was big enough to sit in! He laughed at the thought of sitting in his pocket like a toy. He stopped laughing and realized that that’s what people saw him as…a toy. Something they could laugh at, look at and not talk to. As he walked along, he played with the hem of his white t-shirt and sighed. His stomach growled, protesting at him for taking so long in finding something to eat!

“Ok ok! I’m going…” he said to himself as he pressed the ‘down’ button to the elevator and waited patiently for it to arrive. It took a few seconds and the familiar sound of the bell going ‘ding’ made him smile before the doors opened. He stepped inside and pressed the G button for the ground floor, he was on the sixth floor after all. No one else in the lift so he leaned against the bar that ran all around the entire lift, even on the back of the doors. A few seconds passed before the bell sounded and he stood up, waiting for the doors to open and let me finish his quest in finding food to shut his stomach up. The doors opened and walked out and looked around.

It was a big lobby, red carpets and gold coloured posts or bars that were so clean you could see your face in them. There were a few people walking around or just sitting down. In front of him, slightly to the left was the main door with the doorman on the other side, ready to open the doors and let more people in. to his right was the reception desk with two male clerks sitting there, waiting to help someone. To his left were some seats for people to sit on and a huge painting right in the middle of the wall above the seats. Just around the corner to by the reception desk is a small corridor, which leads to the hotel restaurant and other rooms. All open spaced and you can see all of it from the main doors. Nick smiled at the people walking around doing nothing, he had something to do though, find food!

“…Now? Where to find food?” he thought out load and decided to go for the reception desk, he didn’t want anything big so he didn’t need the restaurant. As he walked over to the desk his stomach growled again and he covered it with his hands, trying to shut it up. Only made it worse! As he reached the desk, the clerk on the right looked up and smiled.

“Good day young sir, how may I help you?” Nick smiled and realized that this man was the first person ever to speak directly at him. Asking him a question and waiting for an answer. Much more than the guys ever did, they would either answer for him or just ignore him. That was why he kept himself to himself because he thought everyone was like that, not wanting to pay attention to the ‘little-blond-boy’.

“Um yes…yes you can actually. I was getting quite hungry up in my room and I thought,’ instead of getting room service, I’ll take walk down’ so here I am.” Nick smiled as the clerk stood up and walked around the desk to stand in front of him, not much taller as Nick was only 14 but still a little tall for his age. The clerk smiled.

“Right young sir, what would you like to eat? You look like you need food and someone to talk to if you don’t me saying so. May I ask your name? And your age young sir?” Nick was so shocked that he nearly fell over in disbelief. Someone was asking him his name and his age! And the nice man could see that Nick needed someone to talk to as well…but Nick didn’t want to talk to him, he didn’t know him that well but he wanted to talk, so bad! So he decided on talking to the clerk but only about the weather and the city.

“Um…well, I would like some sweets or ice cream. I wouldn’t mind talking to you actually; I get kinda bored having to stay in all the time. My name is Nick and I’m only…14.” The man smiled again and walked Nick towards the restaurant area and Nick kept his head down, his feet were interesting!

“Well, Nick…I think I can find you some sweets. Didn’t you come with that group? JIVE or something?” true, Nick had come here with the guys and JIVE, trying to get them to sing in bigger places, to get them known. The guys and the production team had gone out, even AJ! But he was 16 though and they left Nick here on his own! They didn’t even tell him they were going or anything, they just up and left while he was sat there…they walked out and Nick was left standing there, even his new best friend Brian had just walked out. Kevin, tying to be the ‘father’ figure in the group hadn’t even acknowledged that Nick was still here.

“Yeah…I did. They went out a few hours ago, around about 4 o’clock…now it’s 9 o’clock.” The clerk’s smile faded as Nick’s eyes began to water, he had been forgotten. Poor kid.

“Well, I’ll get you some sweets and…if you want to pick a film on pay per view, I’ll personally pay for it because you look like you need some cheering up young Nick.” Nick smiled slightly and sat down on an empty seat and spoke just before the clerk went to find him some sweets.

“Erm…sir? I’d rather just have the sweets, no offence but I wanna go to sleep when I go back up to my room. Nice of to offer to pay for a film but I’d rather not, I don’t think any of the films are actually in my age range, either older or younger. That ok?” Nick asked unsure of what the response would be but that’s what he wanted. The clerk smiled again and nodded.

“Of course young Nick, that’s fine by me. I’ll go and get your sweets and if you want anything else just do a room service call but ask for me. My name’s Tristen.” Nick smiled and nodded also before Tristen walked away to find some sweets. Nick looked around the restaurant at the people who were sat in there, dotted about like little speckles of paint. Nick felt as though he was being watched and looked around for a culprit but found none. Tristen came back after a few seconds and handed and bag of sweets to Nick.

“There you go Nick…have a nice sleep now won’t you? I bid you good night young Nick because I have a call to attend to right now…good night.” And with that he walked off and Nick called after him, “Good night Tristen!” before standing up and walking back up to his room, a long and lonely walk. Nick sighed and thought of what the guys would do in the morning, probably ignore him again!