- Text Size +
Chapter Three.




Nick got to his room after a lonely 15-minute walk. He had deliberately walked slowly…hoping someone would see him and talk to him again. No one did. Nick sighed and pulled his keycard out of his pocket and slid it through the lock at the side of the door, waiting for the light to go green. It went red so he tried again…red.

“Goddammit! Go green please!!” he begged the lock and tried it again and it went red for the third time. He was gradually getting annoyed at it and he tried it again…red. Nick threw the card on the floor and punched the door really hard, hearing a ‘crack’ he sunk down on to the floor with his back against the door. He looked at his knuckles and rubbed them softly as they gradually went purple. He clenched his fingers into a fist and it didn’t hurt so his knuckles weren’t broken. Must have been the door that cracked.

“Ow…what a night.” He whispered to himself and quietly began to cry. He wanted to go to sleep and get this day over and done with already. He didn’t like it anymore, it was too lonely. After a few more minutes, Nick slowly climbed to his feet and picked up his keycard and tried it once more. He slid it through the lock and waited again…red. He screamed.

“WHY?!?!?!?! I DON’T LIKE IT ANYMORE!!!! WHY DO YOU HAVE TO MAKE ME SO…lonely?” he said the last part quietly, finally realizing that he was…alone. Tears began to slowly trickle down the pale face of his and he leant forward against the wall, gazing endlessly at the white wash.

“I just want to go to sleep. No more loneliness. No more ignorance of others…just me and my dreams. Why can’t I have that?” he asked the wall…hoping it would answer but it didn’t. He felt weak from breathing hard and crying. The walls were going very very white…almost like a light in his eyes.

“Can’t you give me my dreams? My freedom?” he asked again, almost panting this time as he slowly slid to the floor. Nick looked around and saw two people walking up the corridor, but to him…they were walking very slowly. He blinked slowly and he fell forward onto the floor and everything went blank.

Everything echoed, even though he made no noise. He looked around and saw…nothing. Everything was white. He heard a voice calling his name…it didn’t sound very close. Who was calling him? In fact, who wanted to call him?

“Nick…Nick can you hear me? Nick?” Nick could see red carpet…right in front of his face. He could just make his hand as he lifted his head off the floor slightly. He looked around and saw a pair of shoes…he recognized those shoes. He couldn’t get his thoughts straight. It was blurry. His head hurt like it had been run over by a truck. He felt sick.

“Nick? Nicky? You ok dude? Can you get up?” The voice asked and Nick moaned in pain. He slowly pushed himself up off the floor but he didn’t get far before he fell face first into the carpet again. He began to cry again. What happened? Why wasn’t he able to stand up? Why was everything blurry?

“Hmmmm! Wha…uh?” he was whining as he felt a pair of hands lift him up from under his arms. Nick didn’t have the strength to struggle against whoever it was. Nick was a dead weight. The voice lifted him up and sat him against the wall and looked at him. It lifted his chin up and got his drifting eyes to look at him.

“Nick…dude. You ok? You passed out. Can you remember when you did?” Nick looked the voice in the eyes and realized who it was. Brian. Nick felt a jolt of relief run through his chest as the blue eyes looked at him for a reply.

“Uh…about…hmmmm…9 o’clock-ish. My head hurts…” he moaned and rolled his head. Brian gave him a very concerned look and placed his hands on his shoulders and looked at him once more. Nick cried harder and lifted his hand to his eyes and fell forwards again, landing on Brian this time.

“Nick, you’ve been out for 3 hours man. It’s midnight now...imma get you in our room and get you to bed. You need rest. I just wanna know why you conked out man.” Brian saw Nick shake and began to feel sorry for him.

“Nick…you know who I am?” Nick just whined and tried to sit up again and this time he managed to lean against the wall behind him. He tried to think but he cried again and his face scrunched up in sadness and pain, he covered his face with his hands.

“You’re…I don’t know!! Why can’t I think properly?” he cried and Brian sat next to him and cuddled him, rocking back and forth as Nick cried his heart out. Just then, Kevin came out of the elevator and saw the to young boys sat on the floor. He walked over to them and crouched down.

“What’s going on?” he asked once he noticed Nick crying.

“I found him unconscious the floor. He’s been out for 3 hours Kev. He doesn’t know who I am or what happened. He keeps crying and whining.” Brian explained and Kevin stood up and gave Nick and sympathetic look.

“Aww poor kid. Can you get him? I’ll open the door and help you get him in you’re room.” Brian nodded and Kevin picked up the keycard by Nick’s right hand and slid it through the lock…green. It clicked and Kevin pushed it open, placed the keycard on the small table and came back out to find Brian holding Nick in his arms. Kevin helped Brian carry Nick to his bed and place him down.

“Ok then…I’ll go to bed now, if you need me Bri, you know where I am. Make sure he’s ok will ya? Night!” he said before he tuned to leave.

“Night Kev.” Brian said and watched as his cousin walked out and shut the door. Brian looked back at the now sleeping Nick and sighed.

“Nicky…” he said and began to take off his shoes, pants and shirt, leaving him in his boxers. Brian covered him with his blanket and pushed some strands of golden hair away from the closed blue eyes. He smiled and went to his own bed, undressed and turned out the light before going to sleep himself.

Nick was free…his dreams were his own little world. He felt welcome. More than in the real world. Only thing was, he thought none of them cared…someone did.