- Text Size +
Chapter Nine.




Nick came to in a hospital waiting room, his head placed in Howie’s lap. He could see nurses walking about, people being escorted to different wards, others being wheeled about in their wheel chairs, Kevin pacing back and forth and AJ out cold in the seat next to him. Nick slowly sat up and Howie removed his fingers from Nick’s blond hair, he’d been playing with it while he was out. As Nick raised his head from its hanging position he was met with brown eyes and a warm smile.

“You ok Nick?” Howie asked as the young boy looked about, as if he was looking for something.

“Yeah…what happened? Where’s Brian?” he asked, looking quite confused. He looked at AJ then back to Howie and raised one eyebrow.

“Brian broke his nose as he was getting out of the mini bus. He forced the door to hard; we reckon he was pissed off dude. He’s being treated right now. You, Nicky were with us when he fell out of the back doors and you saw him, told Kevin and then you passed out on me. AJ’s out cold because he can’t abide the sight of blood, makes him feel really sick and dizzy. No need to worry, everyone’s ok Nicky. Now, how are you feeling?” Howie explained as carefully as he could so Nick would understand with out freaking out. Nick sighed and leant his head on Howie’s shoulder. He looked at Kevin as he looked at some flyers on a pinup board on the wall. Nick jumped as a nurse came out of a room to the left of them and she smiled at Howie. Kevin walked over to her and waited for her to speak.

“He’s stable now. We have straightened his nose and splinted both sides to keep it secure. Although it was a pretty bad break, it seems to be on its way to a very good healing process. We have to keep him in for a few nights to make sure nothing goes wrong and that he doesn’t go into a state of shock.” She spoke softly as they listened, Nick partially listening as he drifted in and out of a daze.

“He’s awake though?” Kevin asked and the nurse simply nodded her head and smiled. Kevin and Howie both sighed but Nick kept his eyes glued to the opposite wall, thinking mixed up thoughts. Was it his fault Brian broke his nose? It must have been because not minutes even seconds before, their fingers had touched and they locked sight. The heat and the emotion Nick felt there, it had to have something to do with the force Brian used against the door. Was it Nick’s touch? His eyes? Was it because of the bond that linked them, that one moment was broken and Brian got upset because Nick had just smiled and walked away? Nick squeezed his eyes shut and let out a deep sigh and then re-opened them, he looked at the nurse and she gazed back.

“Can I see him? Please? Can I?” Nick pleaded with her and she giggled. What was so funny?

“Of course…on your own?” she asked looking from Nick to Kevin to AJ and then to Howie and back at Nick. He nodded and got up, followed the nurse down the hall while two sets of eyes stared at him, confused and curious. All Nick did was follow her in a line towards the separate wardroom Brian was in. Eyes burning a hole into whatever he stared at, locked in a trance, his breathing in long gasps.

As the nurse pulled the handle down on the door, pushed it open, she stood to the side and let Nick walk in completely before shutting the door behind him. Nick walked forward slowly while his eyes attached themselves to Brian’s bandaged face, his eyes were closed and his lips parted so he could breathe without complication. As Nick carefully and quietly sat in the seat beside the bed, his hearing went and the only noise he could hear was the heart monitor beeping beside him. He had done this. He was an awful person putting Brian in this place all because he touched him. Maybe he had been a bit distant towards his new friend, not paying him any attention, maybe that’s why he got mad and hit the door, forced it. Was it because he was treating Brian the way he thought Brian was treating him? Ignoring him? Being heartless? He didn’t mean to! It wasn’t his fault he was doing it, he just wanted to get someone back and was too focused on himself being happy and not others because they always upset him. He was so selfish and he needed to apologize, needed to let Brian know what he had done to him.

“Bri?” he called softly causing the figure in the bed to stir slightly and whine in pain. Nick jumped and quickly grabbed a hold of Brian’s hand to let him know someone was there and he was ok. The older teen began to sit up carefully and managed to look at Nick. He tried his best to form a smile but a sharp jolt of antagonising pain shot up his face and caused him to hiss and squeeze his eyes shut tightly.

“Hey…how you doin’ Brian?” Nick asked, still holding Brian’s hand. Brian shook his head and opened his eyes to look at Nick. His face was partly covered in a thick bandage, his top lip swollen and both his eyes dark shades of purple and rouge. Nick screamed inside…he looked like he was in so much pain.

“Not too good dude, not good at all. My nose is bust man and it hurts so bad. I want the pain to go away, Nick make it go away please. Please!” Brian began to cry, as the pain got worse as he spoke, the fabric of his dressing soaking up his tears. Nick held his hand tighter and to Brian’s dismay he shook his head and he knew what he meant. He couldn’t make it go away, there was no way he could. Brian whined and threw his head back into the soft pillows and his body began to shake with his sobs, his mouth open in a silent scream for help.

“I’m sorry Bri, I can’t help you there.” Nick played with Brian’s fingers as the dirty blond began to sit up again, calming himself down. Nick thought this would be an appropriate time to ask before the others came in, “Bri? Was it my fault? You breaking your nose, was it my fault? Because of what happened in the mini bus, I’m so so sorry if it was. I never meant to hurt you in any way at all. I won’t ignore you no more or treat you bad because I know that’s what I’ve been doing since…well…the um kiss. I tried to forget it and in the process of this morning, I forgot that you wanted to talk to me still. I ignored you and for that I am truly sorry. I think I did that because of they way I have been treated and because of what happened I tired to block everything out and do it back, be mean to them but I wasn’t mean to them Brian, I was mean to you! I’m a bad person! Selfish!” Nick broke down and laid his head on Brian’s hand, his hair falling around his face. Brian smiled and lifted his hand so Nick would lift his head up again. Brian smiled the best he could to reassure Nick that he was ok.

“Shhh…it’s ok Nicky, it’s not your fault. I guess it was because I was a little to caught up in my own feelings; they kinda came flooding out when I kissed you. I’m sorry I did that. So it’s my own fault I broke my nose, I just got pissed off that the moment I had with you was broken Nicky, the gaze we had was amazing…it was like I could read you like an open book because you didn’t hide anything in your eyes did you Nick?” Brian spilled, he didn’t care if it was too forward, he just said it and that was that. Nick smiled and hugged his friend tightly, avoiding his nose. Brian lifted his hand and placed it on the back of Nick’s head and played with his hair. Nick breathed in the older boys fragrance, ‘he smells just like vanilla’ he thought.

“I didn’t think I should hide anything from you anymore, you made me feel weird in the stair case but it wasn’t a bad feeling, I wasn’t affected in a bad way, in fact I think it’s helped me figure out a lot of things. So thank you Brian.” Nick whispered into his neck, his breath making Brian shiver. As Nick pulled away, he looked into Brian’s eyes and thought he’d thank him a little more affectionately…he kissed him on the cheek. Brian jumped to say the least, from shock and pain. He felt as though Nick’s lips had burnt him in a way because Nick was forbidden, he didn’t want the boy doing anything he shouldn’t or would regret.

“Nick…” he sighed as Nick pulled away and smiled. He placed his hand gently on the soft cheek he had just kissed.

“I wanted to do that…don’t worry Bri, I won’t be hurt. I can read you like a book as well you know, well when you look at me like that I can.” Nick giggled and sat back down, still holding Brian’s hand but this time, brushing his thumb back and forth over the silky skin.

“But…you…and…last…reacted badly…and…but…why?” Brian couldn’t help but stutter causing Nick to laugh. His blue eyes shone brightly as he looked into eyes identical to his own.

“Because it’s something that needed to be done…don’t forget what needs to be done Brian, never forget.” Nick smiled, he knew he was talking in riddles but he needed to. Brian would only figure it out if he really knew Nick, maybe he would work it out in a day or maybe a year or so, “Now, I’ll go let the others come and talk to you for a while. I don’t think AJ will though ‘cause he kinda passed out from the sight of blood and the fact that you were hurt, as I did to. So I’ll go get some food and drink, AJ may come he may not…see ya soon Brian.” Nick let go of Brian’s hand and stood up, smiling as he walked back to the door and walked out, shutting it quietly behind him. He left a very confused Brian in that room, his mind stumbling over and over at what Nick had said. What did he mean?

Nick walked back to the others and found that AJ had indeed woken up but didn’t look to good. Kevin smiled, as did Howie.

“How is he?” Kevin asked. Nick smiled back at Kevin and looked over at Howie and nodded.

“He’s fine and he wants to see you guys now, I’m gonna go get some thing to eat and drink.” He spoke in his usual soft tone. A wash of relief came over Kevin’s face and Howie stood up.

“Ok kiddo! We’ll go see Brian…don’t go wandering off and getting lost, yeah? See you in a little while…Aje? You coming?” Kevin spoke and AJ shook his head.

“Tell him I said sorry but I can’t see him like that without passing out again. I’ll go with Nicky ok?” Kevin nodded as he and Howie made their way to Brian’s wardroom. Nick waited for AJ to get up; the older teen actually wrapped an arm around Nick’s waist.

“Dude, I need to be able to stand up as I walk. Hope you don’t mind me holding you?” Nick shook his head and they made their way to the canteen. Nick smiled to himself knowing he had got Brian confused but it was something he had to work out and when he did, he would be happy that Nick had said that to him. His lips still tasted like Brian’s skin, vanilla. The sweetest things in life aren’t always as easy to get.