- Text Size +
“These are excellent brownies, Xenia,” Marcus said as they shared Xenia’s newly baked goodies. The former went to visit her at the Dawson Hall while Nick went back to London. It’s been two days since Xenia found out about the truth with her husband.

“I actually just learned how to make those, Uncle Marcus. I’m glad you liked it,” She sets down the pitcher of juice for them. “Is Nick going to stay long in London? How’s his fight for his right as the duke?” She suddenly asked. Marcus looked at her in surprise. “I missed my husband, Uncle.”

Marcus fell silent and stared at Xenia.

“Yes, I already knew, Uncle. I deliberately took off his mask one day when I was asking him about it. As a judge, I know that you should know when and how a witness is having inconsistencies with his sworn statement. Nick has been inconsistent. I began to think then that my husband didn’t trust me enough although he already told me his dilemma concerning the people who had caused the accident to happen. I decided to take off the mask. I didn’t even care whatever might be revealed after doing it.”

Marcus drinks his juice first. “Did he get mad?” he quietly asked. He was never wrong when he considered Xenia as one sprite, courageous woman.

Xenia shrugged. She wiped her tears. “I cannot tell. But after that, Nick told me everything. How’s he, Uncle?”

“Today’s the final hearing on the case. His cousin, Kevin, is a good lawyer. I had hopes that he’ll remain the duchy in our family.”

“I’d like to know where in London he lives. I wish I could follow him there.”

“He used to live in an apartment when he first got there after his mother, Louise, died. But when he became a duke, he inherited the family’s mansion and that’s where he is staying right now.” Marcus replied. Hs looked at his nephew’s wife and reached for her hand. “Nick has told me a lot about you and I’m equally glad it was you he got married into. I am a good judge of character and I know that you are a nice person who could make my nephew happy. I hope you’d forgive him, as well as me, for the charade we have to make up to bring about Louis’ murderers.”

“I could never be mad for long, Uncle. I’m just hurt for being lied to. But it’s all in the past and I understand why you needed to do that.”

“Thank you, Xenia. Anyway, would you like Johanne to take you to London today?”

“Probably on the weekend, Uncle. I have to clear things at my business first. I’m giving back the management to Leah because I knew then that business isn’t my forte. I used to do daredevil stunts and risky sports in the past but all of that would change now that I’ve decided to be Nick’s wife.”

“You love him that much?”

“Nothing could be more risky than being Nick’s wife,” Xenia said with a smile. “Seriously, I love him with everything I am, Uncle Marcus. I love Nick even before I realize that he’s the man behind the mask. It has been hard for me to ever think about him when I am with my husband. I love Nick and yet, I have developed an unexplainable affection towards the masked man. It confused me and I was guilty thinking that I’ve been cheating on the masked man with all the thoughts of Nick in my head. I was saved from an impending sin when Nick and the duke are of the same person, who he’s really my husband after all.” Xenia answered. “I hope that it’s not yet too late to show him how much I love him.”


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


“Good morning, Your Grace,” Arman greeted Xenia when she came down the stairs the next day. Xenia smiled and noticed the man’s ear accessory once again. It’s an earphone for security surveillance. She didn’t noticed it before but when Nick told him about Arman, she then learned that the butler is actually Nick’s assistant head of security and assigned to guard her and the safety of the mansion.

“Good morning too, Arman.”

“You have an early morning call, madam. She said her name’s Justine Shawn and wanted to see the Duke.”

Xenia didn’t notice herself frowning upon learning that has come to see her husband. Did Justine know about Nick’s charade? “I’m going to see her. Where is she?”

“I asked her to wait at the Sitting Room, Your Grace.” Arman replied as he followed his mistress towards the Sitting Room located at the ground floor of the mansion. When they got there, Arman discreetly left Xenia after giving a watchful eye on their guest.

Justine stood up but didn’t budge a smile at Xenia. “I came to see Louis.” She said without a greeting.

“Good morning to you, too.” Xenia motioned her to sit down, and she made herself comfortable in a single couch located across Justine. “My husband is not here. Would you rather relay to me instead what do you want to him?”

“It’s rather private.” Justine replied.

“Oh, really? I think I got a right to know since I’m his wife. Now, if you don’t have any intentions to tell it to me, you may join me for breakfast instead and let’s get to know each other. I understand that you were my husband’s ex-girlfriend before we got married.” Xenia tried to smile but met Justine’s glare instead. The latter stood up.

“No, thanks. I have to go now. I’ll come back to see your husband again. Just tell him that I dropped by and I missed him.” Justine winked at her then they both turned towards the door, only to find Nick standing there. Both women were surprised to see him, but for different reasons. Justine was surprised to see him in the Dawson Hall and wondered what Nick could be doing there while Xenia was surprised for Nick’s unannounced arrival from London. All she could do now is to stare back at her husband to prevent herself from running to him and kiss him with so much hunger and passion. She still hadn’t spoke to him ever since she learned that he’s the one behind the mask.

“I’m sorry, I must be a bother.” Nick said with a smile. “The butler told me that Xenia is here with a guest.” He looked from Xenia to Justine. “Hi, Justine.”

“My husband isn’t here, Nick, as what I’ve told Justine. Is there something you want from him?” Xenia asked in a civil tone.

“Oh, yes. There’s just something I’d like to inquire about some business. But I guess I’ll just have to go back sometime.” Nick replied. He just stood there by the door. He looked charming with that laid-back smile of his, as he stood there with his hands on his pockets. “Did I hear that you’re about to leave too, Justine?”

Justine smiled widely. “Yes. It’s nice that you’re here. We can go back to town together, shall we?” She turned one last time to Xenia then walked over to Nick. “Let’s go, Nick.” She took the arm when Nick offered it to her. When she turned her back on Xenia, Nick looked at his wife and mouthed the words ‘I’ll be back’. Xenia just gave him a disapproving look in reply. The door was closed behind the two.

Heaving a sigh of frustration, Xenia went out of the Sitting Room to have breakfast in the kitchen. Judging by the distance of the mansion to the main gates, and the entire Dawson Estate from the city, it will take Nick a long time before he gets back. She should start her day on her own now.