- Text Size +
“ We lost them sir.”
“ Well find them. And bring them to me alive.”
“ The older one doesn’t seem to want that.”
“ I don’t care. I want all three and I want them alive. She’s been a thorn in my side for twenty years and I want her out of the way.”
“ Dead?”
“ I told you alive. She’s got a lot of powers I still haven’t tested, and now with the children it seems she’s taken in, they are as powerful as she is.”
“ Yes sir. We will bring them in.”
“ Good. Rogers out.” The phone went dead. The taller man looked towards the group that had assembled.
“ Ok, we’ve got to take some action here, if we don’t find them soon, Rogers will be experimenting on us. Lewis take a team and head north, Martin take a team and head south, I’ll take another team and head west. I know they’d never head east, they’ve come from there and know that we’ve got their house staked out.”
“ All right, but what happens when we find them? You saw what that one did to Smith.”
“ Yes I do, keep the tranquilizers on you. She will need to remain sedated upon capture.”
“ All right Matthews. But if she injures another one of my team I’m taking her out.”
“ And if you do that will be the end of your sorry life Lewis. Just do as your ordered and bring those three in alive.”
“ Yes sir.”
“ All right you’ve got your orders move out.” Matthews said as he climbed back into the black suburban. Finding the three people was going to be a challenge. But he’d found them before and he’d find them again.




Emma woke with a start, she looked around and saw that they were driving down a winding road.
“ Hey welcome back sleepyhead. We are nearly there.”
“ Are you sure the place is safe?”
“ Safest place in the entire Rockies. Believe me I’ve owned this house for years and I’ve never let anyone but my kids know where it is.”
“ Your kids?” Daniel asked from the backseat.
“ You and others like you. I consider all of you my kids, my family.”
“ Oh. Hey look at that place.” Daniel said pointing to the huge house that was slowly coming into view. Emma slid forward in her seat so she could look out the window better and gasped, the house was bigger than the one they’d lived in in Maine or the recent one they’d just left in Kentucky. The place was huge, she wondered how Sara could afford such things. And sooner or later she’d finally get around to asking her that very question.


As they placed their bags on the floor, it was as if Daniel had become a child again as he tore threw the large house checking out each and every room.
“ He will soon realize that this house has twelve bedrooms, eight bathrooms a pool a game room and a video room.” Sara said as she made her way up the stairs to her own room. Emma slowly followed behind trying to take in the large house and how her friend could afford such a thing.
“ I’ve had money. I was born into money.” Sara answered her. Emma stopped and looked at her friend.
“ How?”
“ How did I have money or how did I know what you were going to ask?”
“ Both.” Emma asked following Sara into the large master bedroom.
“ My family was rich. Unlike most special kids I wasn’t given away until my gifts became to much for my parents to handle on their own.”
“ Where did they send you?”
“ My grandfather. This was one of his country homes. He let me have it just before he passed a few years ago. I inherited most of the family money since I was the only child.”
“ Wow, I wish I had been that lucky.” Daniel said coming into the room.
“ In some ways you are. I always had a trust fund set up for all of the kids. You and Emma have been with me the longest so when you’re both old enough you both inherit about two million a piece.”
“ Oh my god you’re kidding right?” Emma said looking at her.
“ Nope. I always said I’d take care of all of you. And this is my way of fulfilling that promise.” Sara said watching the two wonder the room. Emma picked up a silver comb and mirror that matched.
“ You can have that. It was my mothers.” Sara said walking into the next room. Emma picked up the new gift and followed her older friend from the room. Sara pulled the curtains back in the room and a large four-post bed greeted Emma with a canopy over it. The bed looked as if it had stepped out of a fairy tale.
“ Wow.”
“ Your room.” Sara said leaving the room. Daniel followed behind her wondering what his room would look like. Sara walked into the room next to Emma’s and opened the huge golden curtains. The room looked as if it was to be inside a castle, one that a king would sleep in.
“ Mine?”
“ Yep. Put your things in the dresser and come downstairs for supper.” Sara said heading from the room. “ You too Emma.” She said before descending down the staircase to the lower part of the house. Moving around the living room she opened several of the closed curtains and opened the windows. She’d always loved the mountain air and wanted to air out the large house, as it hadn’t been used in a few years. She moved into the kitchen when a scream echoed threw the large house. Sara reached out her mind trying to find out who or what had entered the safety of the house. Someone seemed to be blocking her from finding them, finally she found Emma and Daniel. She wouldn’t let them have her children. Not this time, she swore to herself as she tore up the stairs to find Daniel unconscious on the hallway floor and Emma’s screams had suddenly stopped. Sara slowly entered the bedroom to find the room empty. Emma was gone and to the best of Sara’s knowledge there was only one way out of the large house besides going out a window. None of the windows had been broken, she wondered if Emma’s gifts had gotten the better of her or had Daniel accidentally scared his friend. She turned to see Emma emerging from the bathroom, her usually dark skin a pale white.
“ Where is that little prick.” Emma seethed.
“ Out cold in the hallway. We are going to have to start working on how the two of you will control those powers of yours.” Sara said looking back into the hall. Daniel now sat on the floor rubbing the knot that had formed at the back of his head.
“ Not before I get the chance to kill him.”
“ Now Emma, you know full well he’s still learning about his powers as are you. Let him be.” Sara warned as she turned her attention to the injured Daniel. Daniel looked up at her, his dark eyes looked that of a scared puppy.
“ I’m sorry. I don’t know what came over me.”
“ Don’t worry. We are hidden from all those that can harm you and I will train the both of you starting tomorrow on how you can control your powers.”
“ All right.” Daniel said as Emma helped him stand. He still couldn’t look her in the face for fear he’d see the anger he knew was there.
“ What’s for dinner Sara?”
“ Not sure yet. Why don’t we go down and see what we have in the cupboards.” Sara said leading the two down the stairs. Emma and Daniel looked at each other for a short moment before the two lowered their eyes and followed their friend into the large kitchen. They could tell that the kitchen had recently been stocked by the fact that there wasn’t any dust on anything.
“ Ready for anything huh?” Emma asked.
“ Yep always. Go check the cupboards. See if there is anything either of you like in them. I am going to the study and do some research. I want to know who’s hunting us and why.”
“ Ok.” Daniel said heading for the first set of doors. He couldn’t believe the huge amount of cupboard space the house had. And how each had something in them, some had plates, bowls and even glasses. But what surprised him was the amount of food that was in the others.

Sara turned on the light and watched as the soft glow bathed the dark colored room. She opened the large red curtains and sat down at the desk, waiting for the state of the art computer to boot up she pulled several folders from a file cabinet near the desk.



“ Do we have any idea where they are?”
“ Her family had a cabin in the woods. But it’s so secluded we can’t get to it.”
“ And I am betting miss Sara has it very well guarded. She’s always been very good about keeping her children safe. She’s our biggest problem. But if we can get one of those kids out of the house we will have her.”
“ But the thing is, Sara has always had that house set up like a fortress. They will never have to leave, she’s got several trusted people that bring things to her as she needs them. They’ve got enough supplies to last several months.”
“ Then we wait. Those two kids will get cabin fever and want out. They won’t want to stay in there forever.”
“ Yes sir.”



Sara placed the folders on her desk and looked up as Daniel entered the room. He saw one folder had his picture on it.
“ Keeping records?”
“ In a way. I keep these so that if ever something happens, my processor can take over and know what’s going on.”
“ But you’ll never leave right?”
“ I will never leave unless I absolutely have to.” Sara promised him. Daniel nodded and headed back into the kitchen as he heard his name being called that his meal was ready. Sara opened the folder that had Daniel’s name on the front.
~~ Daniel St. John
Date of Birth: September 21, 1981
Place: Boston Mass.
Height: 6‘2“.
Weight: 175lbs
Eye color: Dark Green
Hair: Dark Brown, with Blonde Tips
Abilities: Shape shifting. Telekinesis, telepathy. Main ability: Shape Shifting
Subject has shown a great deal of ability to change his shape, especially in times of fear or anger. Daniel has been learning slowly to hone his talents and change his shape when he wishes rather than in times of high emotion. Further information to follow.