- Text Size +
Shannon looked out the window at the city that was slowly disappearing. Would she ever return. She’d made a promise to her friend that in six months time she’d return but would she get that change during her training or would she return later or never at all. A promise is a promise and she wouldn’t break her word. She watched the city one last time before closing her eyes for the long flight home.



It had seemed like forever since she had been there, she in some ways didn’t understand why she had left. The lush beautiful trees and countryside seemed to flow endlessly towards the large castle in the center of the island. She could see a celebration had been started in her honor, the honor of their princess returning to them.
“ This wasn’t needed.” Shannon said as her mother hugged her.
“ Yes it was. You’ve been gone to long. And look at you returning injured.”
“ I wasn’t harmed that bad. It’s going to heal fine.” Shannon said as he father walked up to her.
“ Father.”
“ You’ve returned.” He said hugging her.
“ I’ve returned to finally take my place as princess.” Shannon said sounding more adult than she did when she left several years before.
“ Then your training will begin.” He said leading her down away from the crowd and into the large palace.


Later that week Shannon stood looking out at the dark sky and sighed.
“ What’s wrong?” A male voice asked.
“ Everything.” Shannon answered turning and facing the man. A soft smile spread across her face
“ I’ve missed you.” He said pulling her close.
“ And I you. Did father send you?” She asked leaning against him.
“ No, I was told of your return and had to see for myself.”
“ I had feared that you had forgotten about me.” She said touching his cheek.
“ I could never forget the woman I love.”
“ A war is coming.”
“ I know, you father has called all to ready for the war. But he wants you trained. Are you ready for this? Many will die some even your friends. Are you ready to destroy those that you’ve become close to?”
“ I will do what I have to.” Shannon said.
“ Then you’ve already learned the first lesson of being royalty.”
“ I knew this lesson long ago. Daniel what is to come of our people. Many have never seen our island or what many of us look like. I was the only one of our kind there.”
“ We tend to stay away from the main lands for that reason. Many worship us as gods, seeing as we’ve got wings. And the ability of flight.”
“ I found friends there in the city. They loved me for me.”
“ Even after they found out the truth?”
“ Yes even then. Leo, like the lion he was named for seems to be as loyal as one. Believe me he is one we would want in the up coming war.”
“ Then I shall go and find him.”
“ We must protect his family as well.”
“ It shall be done my love.”
“ Daniel I love you.”
“ And I you.” He whispered as he held her close. He knew her training would be something that would have to come first. She had been gone nearly five years and he worried that living with the commoners had changed her. But her determination and will to protect those that were dearest to her still was strong. She’d make a fine wife and warrior.
“ Daniel I will be gone for several days during my training.”
“ Yes I know. I shall return here in three weeks.”
“ I’d prepare for longer, I’ve been gone five years.”
“ Prepare for as long as you need. I shall be here when you return.” Daniel said kissing her quickly. Shannon smiled and then headed off the balcony towards the guards that stood near the door, ready to escort her to the transport that would take her to the training grounds. It was strange to think of how much training would happen in the time before the war began.


Leo waited by the phone half expecting a call telling him Shannon had been killed. He couldn’t imagine his friend in a war that should have never started. It had been several months since Shannon had left them and now he was always worrying about her well-being.
“ She’s fine.” Leona said to him one late evening.
“ Leona we aren’t sure of that. She promised to call.”
“ And she will, but the battles have begun I am sure she’s fighting along side her friends.” She said. Leo looked up as a knock came to the door. Walking to it he opened it cautiously.
“ Can I help you?” He asked looking at the uniformed men.
“ Yes are you Leo?”
“ Yes., may I ask what the problem is?”
“ Princess Shannon sent us to find you before the war became worse.”
“ Where is she?”
“ Fighting, but she will be waiting at the palace upon our return.” the guard said. Leo looked towards his wife and children.
“ Bring your family. Princess Shannon says they will be safer at the palace than they will be here during the battles.”
“ The battles haven’t come this far.” Leona said.
“ They are headed this way. That was why she sent us to get you.” He said. Leo looked at his family again and they rushed to gather what they could carry and follow the men to the waiting copter. The children seemed frightened as they flew over the city, several neighborhoods were already in flames and the worst was yet to come. Leo still wondered what had ever started this, and was it the earthlings that had caused the war in the firs t place. James looked out the window and could see a beautiful city coming into view.
“ Father is that were we are going?” He asked pointing to the large island.
“ Yes that’s the island of the Angels. No other Castian has ever seen this island.”
“ You are the first of many Princess Shannon is hoping to bring to Seledona.”
“ I am honored.” Leo said as the copter touched down. He could see Shannon off in the distance. As she stepped out from the shadows he gasped. She was wearing armor, it covered her body and was rather flattering he thought to himself. Shaking himself from the thoughts that had entered his mind he smiled as she walked up to them. Her knee high boots clicking on the ground. She wore golden and silver armor that had the royal family crest in the center. She looked more like an Amazon of ancient times than the woman that had left several months before. She had bulked up some as well.
“ It’s good to see you my friend.” She said embracing him.
“ It looks like being here has done you good.” Leo said holding her so he could see her better.
“ It’s just because of the war. Come you must be tired after your journey I will show you to your quarters and we will speak in the morning.