- Text Size +
With that Shannon walked a head of her friend and his family. Leo shook his head and took his wife’s hand and followed closely behind Shannon.

The sunrise was beautiful as Leona stood on the balcony of their private suite. She felt her husband’s arms wrap around her waist and his lips kiss her neck.
“ It’s beautiful.”
“ It always has been, we just never noticed because of the city.”
“ Yeah, I guess.” Leona said leaning against her husband. Leo stroked his wife’s hair and turned to see his children just emerging from their rooms.
“ Morning Daddy.” Grace said running to her father’s side.
“ Morning angel. Did you sleep good?”
“ Sure did. Is Aunty Shannon coming by today?”
“ Yes she sure is. She’s supposed to come down during breakfast.”
“ Goodie, I am going to go get dressed.” Grace said wiggling from her father’s grasp. Leo watched as his child ran back into her room closing the door behind her.
“ Will things get better?”
“ I hope so. Come on let’s get ready to meet Shannon.” Leo said as he took his wife’s hand and led her back inside. Looking back over his shoulder, Leo wondered if the beautiful planet would remain that way after the war.

Shannon had arrived at the room a short time later. She was happily surprised to see both children dressed and waiting for her.
“ I see your both up.” Shannon said leaning down and hugging James and Grace.
“ We missed you.”
“ And I’ve missed you.” She said kissing both their heads. The children ran their fingers over the armor that Shannon wore. Their fingers traced the intricate designs and symbols that laced the breast plate.
“ What’s with the outfit?” Leo asked.
“ I have to return to the battle today. But I wanted to see you first.” Shannon said, her voice was laced with sorrow as it meant she’d be leaving her friends just after they’d arrived.
“ Your leaving already?”
“ I have to. The general on the front line is getting pounded.”
“ Why were we brought here?”
“ Safety and I needed you Leo.” Shannon said.
“ Me?” Leo asked.
“ I need your expertise. Believe me my friend I would not ask if I did not need you.”
“ Then I shall come.”
“ Thank you my friend.” Shannon said leading them down the hall. Leona took her husband’s hand and made him stop and look at her.
“ Are you sure about this?”
“ This is our world, our home. And I will defend it and all of it’s people.”
“ Then go and be safe my husband.” Leona said kissing him. Leo walked down the hallway to catch up with Shannon, he was unsure of how the battles had become but he was now going to help defend his home and his family. Leona and the children watched as the transport lifted off the platform and quickly disappeared into the red sky. Turning her children she ushered them back into the large palace.


Leo stood by Shannon’s side as the transport landed.
“ Where are we?”
“ Far side of the planet. It hasn’t been inhabited for a long time. “
“ It’s a beautiful part of the planet.”
“ Many have come here and left it in the beauty that you see before you. But this is also a harsh and rather angry environment.”
“ How so?”
“ Many have lost their lives here. Defending what they thought to be was right. But things can become clouded the longer a war goes on.”
“ You’ve changed.” Leo said looking into her eyes.
“ War and duty tends to do that to a person. Even someone like me.” She said looking at her friend. Leo could see that she had aged, almost as if she’d grown up. Her normally dark hair had streaks of gray already through it, but it still looked beautiful on her. His eyes drifted over her now muscular figure and figured that it was the fighting and the training that had changed her so much. An angry scar ran up her right arm, stopping just below her elbow.
“ Where did you get that?” He asked touching the scar.
“ During a recent battle, its not painful so don’t worry. Scars come and go, but the will to live is stronger.”
“ But these scars wont fade.”
“ So, it’s a great honor to defend my people.” Shannon said looking at him. Leo could hardly believe that this was the same woman months ago that had said she’d rather die than fight. He could see the fire that burned deep within her, the fire that he knew she’d kept at bay for so long. She was a new woman now. He watched her as she walked over to a tall man. He looked like she did but his wings were a darker color almost black in color.
“ Leo, this is my fiancé>‘
“ Your engaged to be married?”
“ Yes I left Daniel and he understood that I’d return when I was ready.”
“ And I am going to guess you’re finally ready?”
“ After being gone five years. I am ready to his wife, and to be the ruler of this land. I am sorry that I’ve deceived you for so long Leo, but please my friend understand that I needed people to like me for me, not me as Princess, successor to the throne of Castia.”
“ What of your brother?” Leo asked.
“ He doesn’t want the throne so it leaves it to me to take. And now I am going to win this battle and show this family what I am made of.” Shannon said smiling. “ Finally be the daughter my father wanted, the warrior my people wanted and the friend and lover all wanted.”