- Text Size +
“ Where is she?” Leo asked as he ran down the hall of the hospital.
“ They have her in surgery.”
“ How bad?”
“ The bullet went through the shoulder and the wing. She was in so much pain. I’ve never seen her in that much pain before.”
“ None of us have.”
“ Are you here with Shannon?” A nurse asked.
“ Yes.”
“ She’s made it through surgery and will be in recovery soon.”
“ Can we see her?”
“ As soon as she’s in her own room we will allow you to visit. I’ll come get you.” The young nurse said. Both men nodded and sat down to wait.


Shannon awoke to find herself in a white room, her arm hurt as well as her wing hurt. She knew laying on her back was going to cause a great deal of pain as she attempted to roll onto her side.
“ I wouldn’t your only going to hurt yourself more.”
“ Leo?”
“ Hey there. How are you feeling?” He asked taking her hand.
“ Like I’ve been shot. The doc said it might have caused it so I can’t fly any more.”
“ So, not like you ever did.” Leo said shrugging his shoulders. He wasn’t lying she hadn’t flown the entire time he’d known her. But flying was something Shannon loved doing and did often just not when anyone was around. Spreading her wings would give away her true identity, and at that time she never wanted anyone to know who she was.
“ Leo that’s not true. You know I’ve flown before.”
“ Not in nearly five years you haven’t. Shannon why are you so worried about it now?”
“ Because I have to fly, it’s my family heritage and I have to show the people I can still fly.” She said as tears rolled down her cheeks. Leo looked at her strangely, she wasn’t making any sense at all and he thought maybe it was the pain meds the doctor had given her.
“ Just get some rest. I’ll be back later.” Leo said leaning down and kissing her cheek. Shannon closed her eyes and drifted off into a dreamless sleep. She’d been the fifth victim this week and the doctors were getting used to seeing these types of injuries. But Shannon was the first winged victim they’d seen.
“ Do you know much about Shannon?” The doctor asked Leo.
“ She’s always been very quiet about her past and as her friend I’ve never pressured her to tell me about it. Why?”
“ Shannon is special.”
“ Yeah that she is. She’s the only Angel I’ve seen in these parts.”
“ Us too, normally the Angels are of royal blood, but she’s common like all of us. Maybe she’s just from that region.”
“ That could be possible.” Leo said looking back towards the door. He’d heard of the Island of the Angels, the only creatures on the entire planet that could fly at birth, many of the other winged creatures were taught, Angels it was instinct. He’d always thought that the Island was just a tale that others told of the ones that had wings.
“ Well I’ll check on her later and she should be able to return home in a few days.”
“ Thanks Doc.” Leo said heading from the hospital. He needed to take time to think, and that meant taking a run in the park. Leo also wanted to check on his own family, his wife of four years and two children had to be worried about him by now hearing that there had been a shooting at the clinic. But for now he’d wait on that call and clear his head.


“ She’s alone sire.”
“ Good.” The man said walking down the hall. He kept his own wings hidden beneath a long coat as he entered Shannon’s room.
“ Shannon.” He spoke softly.
“ Father?” Shannon said opening her eyes. She couldn’t believe what she was seeing, there stood her father, hiding his features from prying eyes.
“ How are you feeling child?”
“ I am so sorry father.”
“ No need to be sorry. It wasn’t your fault.” He said stroking her long hair.
“ But I can’t fly.” She said trying not to cry.
“ You will fly again. I’ve spoken to the doctor your wing will heal.”
“ My friends don’t know I am a princess.” She said looking at him.
“ I know, I just heard your friend Leo outside. You’ve gained a lot of friends leaving our land.”
“ Yes father I have. But I wanted to make it on my own. After mother died, I wanted to prove to the people that I could do things on my own without your help. But I’ve failed.”
“ No you haven’t, no one will know I was here.”
“ You will not make me return home?”
“ No, but if the violence gets worse I will send Justin to fetch you.”
“ All right father.”
“ Get some rest, I will be in touch.” He said kissing her cheek. Shannon smiled and then closed her eyes. Once outside the room the older man spoke to the guard that had accompanied him.
“ Bring someone to watch her. I want no more harm to come to my child.”
“ Yes sire. But her friend Leo seems to care a great deal.”
“ Yes he does but he has a family of his own to worry about.”
“ I will make sure two guards are watching them both sire.”
“ Thank you.” He said as they hurried to exit the hospital before anyone saw them.

Leo stopped by a park bench and watched the small children playing as if they hadn’t a care in the world. In some ways they didn’t, they saw things differently than adults and kept the violence out of their hearts and minds.
“ Leo, how is Shannon?” Samuel asked.
“ Recovering nicely. She’ll be able to come home in a couple of days. She’s pretty worn out though spouting things about the people being disappointed that she couldn’t fly and being a failure.”
“ That’s odd even for Shannon, but it could have been the drugs they gave her. I called Doc Masters and let him know of the shooting. He’s closed the clinic and had all of his patience see him at the hospital till further notice.”
“ Great so what do I do?”
“ He said you could come there and work, but if not he was giving you paid time off. Mrs. Jenkins also wants to send her prayers for Shannon’s speedy recovery.”
“ Thanks. You best get home to that wife of yours. Aren’t the two of you expecting your first child?”
“ Yep our first child born here on Castia. Melody is excited.”
“ Well give her my love. I best call Leona before she gets worried and have her tell the kids I’ll be home late tonight.”
“ Don’t keep your family worrying to long Leo, they’ve been through enough lately.”
“ I know.” Leo said as he headed back to the hospital to place the call home. Once he had calmed his hysterical wife and had explained that Shannon would be fine he told her that he’d be home in a few hours to give Grace and James a huge hug for him and send them off to bed. Leona wasn’t happy about his late arrival at home but she at least knew he’d be home safe.