- Text Size +
Leo returned to the hospital as promised the next morning. Leona had chosen to stay home with their children, thinking that her husband needed some time alone with his friend. Leo walked down the long hallway to Shannon’s room and stopped when he noticed several people standing outside the room. They looked official and he noticed that two of them were armed.
“ Is there something wrong with Shannon?” Leo asked as he approached them.
“ You must be Leo.” One said walking forward.
“ Yes I am, I am at a loss you are?”
“ Valcurian I am Shannon’s brother.” He said shaking Leo’s hand.
“ She’s got family? I am sorry for my rudeness Shannon rarely if ever spoke of her family.”
“ That was expected. When she left she was in need of some time to herself and I knew she’d never tell anyone of who she truly was.”
“ Shannon only admitted it recently to my wife and myself. She seemed troubled by the fact that she’d kept it a secret for so long.”
“ Shannon has always had a kind nature about her and has always wanted to please others before pleasing herself. In more ways she’s the Angel of all Angel’s.”
“ Yeah I can see that much. But many of the earthlings see her as just that an Angel, none have ever harmed her before that day. None have ever done anything to her in anyway before then.”
“ This is the start of a war, a war that earthlings and Castians have lived in peace now for a hundred years why suddenly start a war now?”
“ That is a good question my friend. Shannon is expecting you. Please go in and speak with her.”
“ You sound so serious. Is there something wrong with her?” Leo asked looking at the man.
“ She’s just needing to speak to you.” He said stepping aside. Leo entered the small room and looked at Shannon.

Shannon looked up as her friend entered the room, she hated all the things she had kept from him, but it was for his own safety and of course her own. She could see clearly in the darkness the look of confusion that Leo’s eyes held, the fact that she’d gained guards over night.
“ Hello my friend.” She said looking at him.
“ I was worried, when I saw all those people.”
“ They are sent by my father. He wishes me to return home.”
“ Are you?”
“ To learn yes. I must return home to become the warrior all expect me to be. I am sorry that I lied to you.”
“ Shannon, your lying to me isn’t what has me upset. I knew from the first time we met that you were hiding something. We all hide something.”
“ This is something big. Today I return home.”
“ You wont be staying?”
“ I will return home to begin my training. Please understand that I am not leaving because you know the truth but leaving because I need to.”
“ I understand.” Leo said.
“ Do you really? Do you understand that it will be several months to years before I reappear again? Do you understand that?”
“ Yes I do, please know that we will be here to help you in any way we can.”
“ Good, be here in six months, wait for my return. Thank you my friend.”

Leo watched as Shannon was wheeled from the hospital to a waiting copter. He wondered if her parents were waiting her return or if they were disappointed that she was returning under such painful circumstances. He watched the copter lift off and slowly move out of sight. He wondered if he’d really see Shannon again or if she’d never return.


Shannon looked out the window at the city that was slowly disappearing. Would she ever return. She’d made a promise to her friend that in six months time she’d return but would she get that change during her training or would she return later or never at all. A promise is a promise and she wouldn’t break her word. She watched the city one last time before closing her eyes for the long flight home.