- Text Size +
"Hey guys." Aaron said walking up to the boys who where eating ice cream.

"Did they get the rooms?" Chris asked.

"Yep, Matt is with Chris." Aaron told them.

"As always," Matt commented.

“Hey, man,” Chris began, “it ain’t that bad. We always have fun together. Remember the last time we bunked together and the prank calls we made?”

“Oh yeah, good times, bro,” Matt said as they high-fived each other.

"Uncle Brian got so mad at you two." Jesse said. "Yeah whenever we stay together he disconnects the phone." Chris told them.

"I don't blame him," Aaron said.
"Brian can be so unfair at times," Matt said.
"Well he just wants you two to grow up the right way," Aaron said. "I was your age once and got into all kinds of trouble. The guys helped me grow up a lot and I honestly believe it’s for the better."
"We are grown up," Chris said.
"I'll say when you're grown up," Brian said from behind and they all looked.

Chris rolled his eyes. "I’m not two anymore dad. In 3 years I'll be a legal adult." Chris told his dad.

"Try four, little man," Alex said patting his back.
"Don't ruin this for me, Uncle Alex," Chris said.
"Of course not," Alex said.
"Are you boys soon done here?" Kevin asked. "We need to get our things up to our rooms."

"I’m done dad." Greg said.

"So am I." Frankie agreed.

"Us too" Matt and Chris chimed in.

"I’m not!" Jesse said.

"Well hurry up," Nick said.
"Nick, ya can't make him hurry," Aaron said. "Why don't you take our stuff up and I’ll stay here with Jesse while he finishes his ice cream. We'll be up in a few minutes."

"Alright just don’t mess around. Come straight up when you’re done." Nick said.

"We will." Jesse told him.

"Ok," Nick said. "And Aaron no pissing around. Leave the girl chasin' for another day."
Aye, Aye, Captain," Aaron said saluting him and they all laughed. Nick just rolled his eyes, shook his head, and walked away.

While waiting for the elevator Chris winked at Matt and said, "So Matt when we get to the room you want to make some prank calls?" Chris asked
"Don’t you even think about it Christopher!" Brian told his son. Matt and Chris both started laughing.
"Come on MR. B do you really think we are stupid enough to pull that one again?" Matt asked.
"YES!" Greg and Frankie said in unison.
"Be nice you two." Kevin told the older boys.
"You’re no fun Uncle Kevin." Frank said.
"Yeah old man. I got to agree with Frankie over here." Greg told his dad.
"Gregory you call me old man one more time and see what happens." Kevin told his son.
"Sorry." Greg told his dad.
"You know Nick it kills me. My son is more like you then he is like me." Brian said.
"I know. He's into game-boy and pranks. It's like having a little Nick clone." Nick bragged putting his arm around Chris.
"Nick one of you is one too many." Aaron said popping out of the stair-well with Jesse.
"I agree with Airboy." Jesse said. As everyone put there focus on Jesse they all cracked up laughing. "What is so funny?" He wasn't at all amused.
"Jester you got ice cream on 80% of your face." Brian told him.
"Yeah Jes did any of the ice cream make it in your mouth?" Frankie asked.
"I ate all of my ice cream," Jesse said.
"Aaron, couldn't you at least clean him up before leaving the restaurant?" Nickolas asked his younger brother.
"I could've, but since he is your responsibility I thought I'd leave clean up duty to you," Aaron said patting his back and walking away.
"He got ya there," Brian said walking away also.
"Come on, Jes," Nickolas said. "Let's go get ya cleaned up." Nickolas grabbed Jesse's hand and led him to their hotel room. Aaron stood by the door waiting and Nickolas unlocked it and they all went inside. "Alright, Jesse, go get cleaned up, man."
"Yes, Nick," Jesse said heading to the bathroom, as Nickolas fell back on the one bed.
"Man, Nick," Aaron began, "you're no good at this father stuff."
"Do you think you can do any better?" Nickolas asked.
"I'm just saying." Aaron sat on another bed and looked at his brother. "Ya know, being a father figure to Jesse has really changed you." Nickolas looked at him. "I mean you still are that immature brother of mine, but you also grew up a lot the past couple months or so. It's amazing really."
"Thanks...I think."
"I wouldn't be able to handle being a father to someone at my age."
"Yeah, just remember that the next time you're shacking it up with some girl."
"Alright, I'm all clean," Jesse said coming out of the bathroom and they looked at him.
"Man, Jes," Aaron said. "You got it all over your new shirt also."
"Damn it, Jesse, go change," Nickolas said practically yelling at him.
"Nick!" Aaron said getting his attention, as Jesse got in his suitcase and got out a clean shirt. Jesse went into the bathroom and Aaron continued, "You need to lighten up a bit, Nick. He's a young kid."
"And a kid I can take care of," Nickolas said.
"And you're doing a bang up job also." Nickolas just looked at him and got up. "What you need, Bro, is a woman to help ya out."
"A woman?"
"Yes a woman."
"What for?"
"To help you with Jesse, man, 'cause it's obvious you need the help."
"I don't need any help."
"Yes you do and I'm going to hook ya up."
"I can find a woman on my own thanks."
"No offense, Bro, but I've seen what kinds of girls you hook yourself up with." Nickolas looked at him completely unamused. "I'll meet ya'll at the restaurant for dinner at seven as planned. I'll bring back a surprise for ya also." Aaron got up and walked to the door. "And, Nick, take it easy on Jes. Let him be a kid alright."
"Yeah."

"Thanks." Aaron grinned and Nickolas watched him walk out.

* in Kevin's room *

"Dad I'm going to go hang out with Frankie." Greg said.

"No your not." Kevin told him.

"Why?" He asked.

"I told Brian you would keep Chris and Matt occupied while Howie and him work on a song they’re writing.

"Great I get to baby sit 'tweedle dee' and 'tweedle dum'." Greg complained.

"Hey if you want you and Frankie can hang out while you watch them." Kevin told his son.

"Dad Matt and Chris are 13. Isn't that old enough to walk around a hotel room without a babysitter?" He asked.

"Gregory last time we let those too run off alone not only did we get kicked out of the hotel but we had a ton of fan mob us because Chris told everyone who his dad was." He reminded him.

"Oh yeah. I guess your right. So how much do I get paid for this?" Greg asked.

"Just Go!" Kevin told his son.

Greg smiled and walked out the door. He went across the hall and knocked on AJ's door.

"Hey Greg'o." AJ said.

"Hi, uncle AJ; can Frankie hang out?” Greg asked. “I have to baby sit Chris and Matt."

"Sure but no girls. Frankie's still in trouble over his last girlfriend." AJ told him.

"I promise; no girls." Greg told him.

"Alright, go ahead Frank."

"Thanks dad." Frankie said then went off with Greg. "So how did u get stuck with the dorks this time?"

"Dad volunteered me. I tried to get out of it but he just gave me that ‘last time we got kicked out’ speech." Greg explained.

"How can we forget that?" The two boys laughed. "How much are we getting paid for watching those two immature kids?"

"I don’t know. Dad didn't say."

"So apparently we're not getting paid."

"That was my guess too."

*knock knock* "Hey guys thanks for baby sitting." Brian said opening the door.

"We don’t need any stupid babysitters." Chris said.

"Yeah especially these two geeks." Matt added.

"Behave," Brian ordered. "Or you'll be grounded to this room the whole time we're here."

"Yeah, yeah," both boys said and Brian gave them a warning glare.

"You do as Greg and Frankie say and don't give them any attitude about it either," Howie stated. "Or your allowance will be cut off."

"FINE!" Chris said.

"Come on lets get this over with." Matt said and they began to walk away.

"You know this isn’t a picnic for us either." Frankie told them.

"Whatever. We're 13 not 2." Chris argued.

"Yeah I can tell, mister; ‘hi I'm Christopher Littrell’.” Greg snapped.

"Shut up!" Chris defended himself.

“I don’t understand why we can’t be by ourselves,” Matt said.

“Do we really have to remind you again why you’re not allowed to stay by yourselves?” Frankie asked, as they went into Kevin’s room.

“This totally sucks,” Chris replied.

"I dont think your dad would like hearing you say that." Kevin told Chris. "Oh hi dad." Greg said. "Sorry uncle Kev." Chris mumbeled

"I'm gonan head over to AJ's room," Kevin said. "I'll be back in a little while. If ya need anything just call me up and I'll be right over."

"Alright, Dad," Greg said. "We'll have everything under control."

"If ya get hungry, just call down to room service," Kevin added opening the door. "You young boys listen to these older boys."

Alright, Uncle Kev," Matt said and Kevin nodded and walked out closing the door.

When Kevin got to AJ's room he didn't bother knocking.
"Nice knock Kev. Think you could teach me that sometime?" AJ asked.

"Shut up bone and put your shirt on. We got to get to Brian’s for our meeting." Kevin told him. "Ok daddy" AJ teased.

AJ slid his shirt on and walked over to Kevin. "Are you going to hold my hand too so I don’t get lost?" AJ asked him holding out his hand.

"Don't be a smart ass," Kevin said. "And let’s go."

"Why are we rushing? Ya know Nick's going to be late as usual."

"It doesn't mean we have to be late."

"You're always so punctual."

"Well someone's got to be." They walked out of the room and headed down the hall towards Brian's room.

~IN NICKS ROOM~

"Come on Jesse. Wake up I’m going to be late," Nick said shaking him.

"Go away!" Jesse yelled still with his eyes closed.

"Jesse Daltin Carter if you..."

Jesse cut him off, "my last name is Bennett. Just ‘cause you adopted me dose not give you the right to take away the only thing I have left of my dad." Jesse said shooting up out of the bed,

"Don't you use that tone with me," Nick said.

"What tone?" Jesse asked then shouting, "this tone!" He went into the bathroom and slammed the door shut.

"What am I doing wrong?" Nick asked no one.

"Everything," Aaron said shutting the door and Nick looked.

"Go away," Nick said sighing and sitting on the bed.

"I'm just reminding you that dinner is at seven tonight and the guys are waiting for you in Brian's room for your meeting."

"Yeah, well, Jesse was napping and I just got him up."

"Why don't you go to your meeting and I’ll take care of Jesse."

"No, he's my responsibility, Aaron."

"Alright but remember, you got to think about how he feels and what he’s going threw." Aaron said then walked out.

"I don’t know what he’s going through though. My dad is still alive," Nick said to himself.

Nick laid back on the bed and sighed while running his hands over his face. "What am I going to do?" He heard the water running in the bathroom and looked. "Jes, come on! Brian, AJ, D, and Kev's waiting for me!" He sat up as Jesse walked from the bathroom a couple seconds later. "Hey, man." Jesse ignored him and walked over to the bed. "I'm sorry for yelling at you." He watched Jesse take a picture from under his pillow and sit on the bed. "Whatcha got there, Jester?"

"A picture of my dad, Nick," Jesse said, as Nick walked over to him. He sat beside him and Jesse wiped his eyes.

"I wish I could say I understand, but..."

"But you can't, because you don't understand."

"I know I don't. I want to try to understand, but it's difficult."

"Because your parents are still alive and not in a whole somewhere."

Nick sighed and looked at the picture. They sat there in silence together then Nick said, "I know someone who can help you. Let's go." He grabbed Jesse's hand and dragged him from the room. He ran down the hall to Brian's room and went on in, as the guys looked.

"Glad ya could join us," Kevin said.

"Hey, guys," Nick said. "Sorry I’m late, but Kev can I talk to ya a moment...alone?"

"Sure," Kevin said getting up.

"He comes in late and now he wants to interrupt us," AJ said.

"Shut up, J," Howie said throwing a pillow at him.

"Kev your dad's dead right?" Nick asked.

"I've taken you to his grave. You know he gone." Kev replied.

"OK, good!" Nick said.

"Excuse me?" Kevin said angry.

"No no no, I didn’t mean it like that, Train."

"Then what did you mean?" Kevin asked still a bit upset.

"Jesse's upset because his dad died and I have no idea how to help him," Nick stated. "Since your dad is dead I think you're the only one that can help him get through it. My dad is still alive so there is no way I can help him the way he needs to be helped. He and I just keep spinning around fighting and the problem falls back to something relating to his dad."

"I'd love to talk to Jesse for you man."

"Your the greatest, Kev," Nick said and hugged him.

"Umm, thanks,” Kevin replied and they walked back over to the guys. "Come on, Jes. You’re going to come with me." He put his hand on Jesse’s shoulder. They walked out the door and AJ tossed the paper he was holding into the air.

“Every damn time,” AJ said. “I don’t understand why we have these meetings. We never get anything done.”

“I just need him to talk to Jesse for me,” Nick said. “I ain’t getting anywhere with him and Kevin’s the only one that can help.”

“We understand, Nick,” Brian said. “Just as long as we’re done by seven for dinner.”

“Yeah,” Nick said sighing and sitting down.

~WITH JESSE AND KEVIN~

“So what’s going on, Jester?” Kevin asked, as he shut Nick’s hotel room door and looked at Jesse. “Nick says you guys keep fighting.”

“I miss my dad,” Jesse said looking at the picture in his hands. “And Nick doesn’t understand.”

“I do.” Jesse looked at him. “I lost my dad when I was 19. I know how you feel.”

“You do?”

“Yeah. It was a really hard time for me too. It took awhile before I could deal with it, but then I did. Now I wasn’t as young as you are so it was a little easier for me to deal with.”

Jesse sighed. “Father’s Day is coming up and Nick won’t take me to see him.”

“Did he say that?”

“No, but I know he’s going to if I ask him.”

“He’s not going to say no, Jes.”

“Yes he is. He’s going to be too busy to take me to see him on Father’s Day.”

Kevin sighed and put his arm around Jesse’s shoulder. “I’ll tell ya what, Jesse; I’ll take ya to see your dad.” Jesse looked at him.

“Really?”

“Yeah; I don’t care how busy I am. I’ll stop what I’m doing and take you.”

“You’d do that for me?”

“Yeah. I know how important it is for you to be with your father on Father’s Day. SO don’t worry about asking Nickolas to take you, because I will.”

“Thank you, Kevin.” He hugged him.

“You’re welcome.” Kevin returned the hug.

“I feel a little better.”

“I’m glad. If ya need to talk or anything about this don’t be afraid to come and find me. I’ll stop what I’m doing and help you out.”

“Thanks.”

“You’re welcome again.” They left the room. “Now run along to my room with the boys and behave. I’ll let Nick know where you’re at.”

“Alright.”

Kevin watched Jesse walk to his room and go inside then went back to Brian’s room where the guys were waiting.