- Text Size +
Chapter 31 – Innocent Wonder

Howie was amazed when Nicola arrived with her daughter. At that moment, Howie thanked God for the two beautiful girls that stood before him. Nicola simply took Howie’s breath away. She held an essence around her that made Howie come alive. And, now that she had taken the time to dress professionally, Nicola was way above charming. He offered her a loving smile as she bent to kiss his cheek. Nicola then scrunched her lithe body down to Lucy’s height, pulling the young child into her arms. Nicola kissed her daughter’s sweet-smelling curls. “Howie, I would like you to meet my favorite little girl, Lucy.”

Howie gazed at Lucy and immediately fell in love. Her soft innocent radiated about her, making Howie vow to protect her from whatever he could. She looked exactly like a younger version of Nicola, except for her dark teal eyes. Lucy offered a shy smile as she tugged on her blue cherry-printed sundress. Her flaxen locks were pulled into a ponytail. Howie found himself enchanted with the small girl. She seemed so perfect in every way. Almost like an illusion.

“Hi, Lucy, my name’s Howie,” he greeted with a large smile.

“My name is Lucille Marie,” Lucy answered quietly, feeling her mother squeeze her hand reassuringly. Lucy stepped forward, needing only a few minutes to warm up to Howie’s personable attitude. She peered up at her mother for a moment, then back to Howie. “I was named after my Grammy.”

“Well, that’s great! It’s a perfect name,” Howie enthused, praying that Lucy would like him. He needed Lucy’s approval and he yearned for her to love him. The idea of having a child in his life excited him beyond belief. Before, Howie hadn’t really focused on creating a family before, but when he looked at Nicola and Lucy – it just felt so right.

Lucy nodded, taking a step toward him. She ran her small fingers down the sleek metal of his wheelchair. Lucy’s bright teal eyes studied his appearance and terrifying apparatus carefully. “Do you have a big owie? Like Mommy’s arm?”

Howie offered a kind smile. “Kind of like that.”

“Does Mommy help with your owie?”

“Yes, she helps a lot,” Howie agreed, gazing at Nicola. He felt his heart swell when he noticed the faint blush creeping to her radiant cheeks. Getting lost in Nicola’s emerald eyes, Howie felt Lucy tug at his t-shirt. Howie immediately focused his attention back on the small child. “What do you want, Lucy?”

“Do you live in this big house by yourself?”

“Yes,” Howie answered, hoping that the answer would change soon.

“Do you sing on TV?”

“Yes.”

“Oh! I know now! Aunt Rosie listens to you!” Lucy blurted out in delight as the pieces fit into her curious mind. Her teal eyes danced with delight. “Aunt Rosie says you and your friends are seriously hot men that can star in her dreams any night. Aunt Holly says you’re a beefcake, but Mommy like the word beefie for you—”

“Lucille Marie Tilley!” Nicola burst in surprise.

“What?” Lucy giggled, knowing she had gotten her mother into trouble.

“You talk too much!”

“I know, Grammy tells me all the time!”

“I know, too!” Nicola groaned.

“Grammy tells me that I got my mouth from you!”

“And I got my mouth from Grammy!”

“Not-uh!” Lucy defended.

“Uh-huh!”

“Not-uh!”

“Lucille!” Nicola grunted, seizing her daughter for tickles.

Howie laughed at the antics of the small family. Their connection was obviously deep. Howie tried to hide his smirk as Lucy turned in her mother’s arms to glance at him. She held a silly grin on her flushed face, causing Howie to chuckle. Howie reached up to brush his hands across Lucy’s soft cheeks. “Hey, Lucy, in that room I have The Little Mermaid on. Your Mommy said it was your favorite. Do you want to go watch it?”

“Can I Mommy?” Lucy squealed, fidgeting in her mother’s arms.

“Go ahead, Baby,” Nicola agreed, letting her daughter free. She shook her head in disbelief as Lucy hurried into the room as if her feet were on fire. Nicola offered Howie a shy smile, thankful that the initial encounter had gone over well for all parties. “Lucy is quite a character. She was even that animated when she was a baby. She was always smiling and giggling, patting her hands and kicking her feet. Her eyes were always sparkling like she had a secret. I wouldn’t change it for the world.”

“She’s gorgeous,” Howie assured, pulling Nicola toward him. She blushed as he pulled her into his lap without a second thought. He leaned up and kissed her tenderly. “She’s exactly like you.”

“My Momma says the same. Do you think you’ll be able to handle us both?” Nicola pondered, wrapping her arms about his neck.

“I don’t think it’ll be a problem. I love you both.”

“You know that already?”

“Yes, because it’s love at first sight,” Howie answered, running his fingers against Nicola’s cast. He frowned with guilt as his memory jogged quickly. “I’m sorry about that damn thing still, Nic. When do you get that damn thing off?”

“The end of this week.”

“Fantastic.”

“I know,” Nicola laughed. “It’s way too itchy.”

“One more question.”

“Shoot.”

“Do you love me?”

“Always,” Nicola answered, bringing her lips against his. Her body lit with intense flames as Howie ran his hands down the small of her back. The electricity between them just felt so right. She knew that she had made the right decision. She pulled herself tighter against his body, locking their lips in another heated embrace.

“Mommy! You’re catching cooties!” Lucy screeched out, scaring both the adults. They turned to see Lucy wagging her small finger at them as if she were scolding them. Her teal eyes glittered with an impish nature. “No kissies for the beefie!”

“I still can’t believe you call men beefies,” Howie teased.

“Shut up,” Nicola growled playfully, kissing him to silence him.

“Mommy, no kissies for me?” Lucy suddenly asked with a hint of jealousy.

Nicola leaned down, scooping Lucy into her arms. Howie leaned back in surprise as the child was brought into the cozy pile. Nicola said nothing as she smothered the little girl with various types of kisses. Lucy shrieked in absolute delight, holding her mother’s cheeks as if to stop her. Nicola’s cheeks were flushed bright red when she offered the last kiss. Nicola smiled cheekily to her daughter as she spoke, “Need more kissies?”

“Nope, all full!” Lucy chirped.

“I’m empty of kisses,” Howie pouted.

“I’ll give you cootie-free-kissies, Howie!” Lucy offered warmly, wrapping her small around Howie’s neck, and attacking him with kisses.

*~*~*

“She has to be the cutest thing that I have ever seen!” Angie, Howie’s other sister, gushed for what seemed like the hundredth time. It was after dinner and the girls were sitting around the kitchen table. A few feet away, Howie, Hoke, and John were playing a round of cards. Lucy had decided to sit on Howie’s lap, busying herself with helping him. Howie chuckled as she slapped down an array of cards, declaring they had won. Hoke and John started to protest, but Lucy whimpered slightly, causing them to praise her for the smart hand. Howie tickled her ribs as she kissed his cheek; it was obvious that Lucy loved Howie.

“I remember that Howie was a cute child,” Paula interjected, handing Nicola a piece of pie. She was thrilled that Nicola had accepted Howie proposal for a relationship. She and her daughters absolutely adored Nicola. They could only recall her being kind and respectful and it was one of the first times that Paula could recall her youngest son being truly happy.

“I don’t recall Howie being a cute child. I can only recall a screaming, wild-boy, covered in mud running insanely around the house with a wet towel, screaming the Batman tune,” Pollyanna teased, glancing at her brother with a smirk.

“Everyone called him the Troublemaker Dorough,” Angie giggled.

“Ang and Polly, you’re just jealous because the neighbors thought I was cuter than you,” Howie taunted, studying his cards intently. He grinned in triumph when he heard his sisters shriek with offense. Knowing his job was done; he set down his cards for the win. The men quickly groaned, adding to the girls’ high pitched complaints.

“Howard,” Paula chided softly, clicking her tongue. She sat down next to Nicola, patting her arm. “We’re all thrilled that you accepted Howie’s dinner invitation. He’s so much happier and Lucy seems quite attached already. You’ll both make a wonderful addition to our family. So, welcome.”

“Thank you,” Nicola replied happily, kissing the older woman’s cheek.

“Yeah, thanks, Mom,” Howie called, wheeling himself and Lucy to the other side of Nicola. He wrapped his hands around Nicola’s hands as Lucy crawled into Pollyanna’s lap. He kissed each hand tenderly, and then leaned beside him to kiss Lucy’s cheek. “They both fit perfectly in my life.”

“What do the guys think?” John asked.

Nicola offered a nervous smile, shifting her weight carefully. “I haven’t exactly met them formally. Although, I can say that I spoke to them briefly without much tact. I sort of yelled at them for disrespecting Howie…”

“I’m guess you made quite the impression,” Hoke chuckled.

“Most definitely,” Nicola replied, shaking her head.

“Would you like to try again?” Howie offered.

“You mean another introduction to them?” Nicola asked, somewhat unsure.

“They’ll love you,” Howie promised, kissing her gently.

“And if not, you can verbally assault them till they cave, Nicola,” Pollyanna teased.