- Text Size +
11



So…retro!






Our very first singing practice was kind of rough. Okay by saying rough I’m slightly under exaggerating because in all actuality it was a disaster. Who would have thought that just by being away from each other for awhile we would have forgotten what it’s like to sing together as a unit?



But we did and it was rough…very rough. Have I mentioned how rough it was? The answer…very!



Of course once we had trouble melding, some of us unable to stay on pitch for long periods of time, it was my cousin that began with the pointing of the fingers. He has done that as long as I’ve known him. Kevin is a classic tattle tale and it’s sad when your younger cousin has to call you out on it. He started out by pointing at me of course.



“You’re singing that all in the wrong key Brian.” He had said while continually hitting the right one on the piano.



“Oh, sorry…I’m rusty.” I had apologized.



He quickly then turned to AJ and said the same thing to him, to which Nick was quick to say well maybe it’s you who are out of tune adding on a or Howie, because lord knows we have to blame Howie for something.



Rough…



Finally after about two hours of singing basic scales in unison we started with the harmonies again and this time it worked much better. Our voices had changed a tiny bit with the most noticeable difference being Nick and AJ. I couldn’t believe how incredible J sounded. How pure and soulful, I mean he could sing his butt off to begin with but this time around he really just blew me away.



Nick’s voice changed a bit, he sounded more gruff but in a good way. You can tell he spent most of his time rocking out because that was easily reflected in his style which suddenly was vastly different from what we used to do.



As far as me? Well I don’t think I changed that much. I know I was out of practice but not because I haven’t been singing my own butt off. It’s just that solo singing is so much different from the five part harmonies, especially something like Christian music. It was all so soft and sweet sounding. We didn’t sound like that anymore…our soft and sweet days were behind us.



So we hung around the piano for a long time, Kevin played for most of that time which was another thing I was impressed by. My cousin’s piano playing had improved by leaps and bounds. I wanted to ask him if he had taken some lessons while we were on hiatus but decided not to. He would probably take offense to the suggestion especially in the mood he was in, which was not a good one. So I kept that thought to myself. Luckily for all of us, his mood lightened up once our singing did and by the end of our very first rehearsal he was all smiles.



Our very first rehearsal… sounds so retro.



I kind of got a little emotional actually; just a flood of memories came back to me when we were sitting on stools around the piano. I remember vividly the first time we ever did that, how excited I had been about the prospect of hitting it big. Sometimes I wish I could go back to that moment in time and really soak it in.



At the end of rehearsal I looked over at J and nodded, placing my finger up to my neck and whooshing it across as if it was a knife. That was my reminder to him that shortly I’d be killing him in golf. I’m not even going to bother telling you the kind of gesture AJ made back at me, let’s just say that it was colorful and very him.



He walked over to me shortly afterwards, “What’s your take on how it went today?”



“We suck.” I rubbed at my neck, it was kind of cramped.



“Yeah speak for yourself Littrell, I sound awesome!”



I laughed at him, “You do sound great AJ.”



“Sure now make me feel bad for dissing you Rok, I know how you work.”



I glanced over at my cousin again who seemed morose to me, “Wonder what is wrong with him?” I asked nodding my head over his way.



“Nick is going to give him an aneurysm.” AJ answered shrugging and taking out his cigarettes.



“Can’t believe you are going to smoke after the way you sang today.”



“Maybe these are the reason I am sounding so good, ever consider that?”



“No can’t say I have…even for a moment.”



“Well screw you then, I’m going out for a smoke. I’ll meet you outside.” I nodded at him as he walked away. Once again I looked over at my cousin but this time he glanced over at me as well. I smiled at him and he did the same to me, I decided to walk over to him, strike up a conversation, make sure everything was okie dokie with him.



“Hey, so what are you planning to do for the rest of the day?”



“No idea…I think I’ll probably make some phone calls and just relax in the hotel room. Maybe go with Howie and Nick to the beach.”



“You’re welcome to join AJ and me.”



“Thanks…when are you leaving?”



“As soon as AJ gets done smoking.”



“Wonderful.” He rolled his eyes which was so predictable and expected.



“Thanks for the invite but I think I’ll pass this time.”



“Everything okay Kev?”



“Yes, why do you ask?”



“You seem down.”



“Sorry…guess I am disappointed how it went today. I was just expecting us to be able to snap back into our old routine.”



“Yeah, I hear ya…but you know…it will get better Kevin.”



He looked at me and smiled, “I know.”



Howie walked over to us with that phone of his firmly planted in his hands, “Have you guys seen Nicky?” He asked, placing his hand over the receiver.



I shook my head, realizing that I still didn’t do what I told D I was going to do. I meant to talk to Nick last night but then Leighanne called and we spent about four hours on the phone. We watched TV together and I would occasionally close my eyes and pretend she was lying right next to me on the bed. God I missed my wife.



“Oh Lord don’t tell me he’s missing.”



“Kevin relax, he’s probably just in the bathroom.” I shook my head at Kevin remembering what AJ had said about aneurysms.



“You worry too much cousin.” I smiled at him, but I guess deep down inside I had a mental picture of Nick walking around naked on Rodeo Drive all drunk and stupid. It wasn’t a pretty mental picture either.



“Well, I’m going to see if I can get AJ to part with his cancer stick so we can go golfing.” I nodded at my two older band mates and winked at my cousin before heading towards the door.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~




I walked outside and saw puffs of smoke coming from the corner of the building so I thought I’d check it out only to find Nickolas who, when he saw me turn the corner, nervously dropped his cigarette and stamped on it.



“Niiick, are you trying to hide the fact that you’ve been smoking?” I asked him raising my eyebrow suspiciously at him as I approached.



He coughed into his hand and then put it nervously into his pocket… “Hey AJ, yeah force of habit I guess…sorry.”



“What is this, a Junior High boy’s room? I don’t care if you smoke or not.” I laughed at him; the kid cracked me up sometimes.



“I know…I thought you were Kevin. I’m kind of on his shit list.”



“You think? I hadn’t noticed.”



“Very funny…and about the junior high bathroom, I wouldn’t know would I?” Nick always had the knack for being overly dramatic, but when it came to his lack of schooling I always felt bad for him. Probably because out of all of us, I understood what that was like the most.



“Has anyone ever told you that you care too much about what other people think?” I decided to ask him after he felt it was safe to light up again.



“You think so?”



“See?”



“Huh?”



“You just asked me if I think so, who the hell cares if I think so.”



“AJ did you come out here to confuse me?”



“That doesn’t take much.”



“What doesn’t take much?”



“Confusing you...never mind, anyway my point is you are old enough to tell Kevin to fuck off.”



He laughed, “Yeah riiight, you first.”



“I have done that quite a few times actually.” And I have, Kevin and I have gotten into some major arguments over the years. I used to be afraid of him but then one day I said you know what? Who gives a crap! Okay, so I was stoned out of my head at the time but still…technically I did tell him off.



“I’m not ready to do that just yet.”



“Because you like that he cares, admit it.”



“Fuck you.”



“I’ll take that as a yes and how come you have no problem telling me to fuck off?”



“Pffft! Please AJ.”



“Come on…you know you are just as intimidated by me as you are of him.”



“Yes I’m shaking in my shorts actually…I mean you could always paint my nails in my sleep or something.”



“Shut up brat! I SO need to kick your ass one day.”



He laughed and then got serious, “Can I ask you a question?”



“Shoot.”



“Do you think I should go out with Paris Hilton?”



“Where the hell did that come from?”



“Yesterday at the restaurant, she gave me her number and asked me to take her out sometime.”



“Get the fuck out! No way Carter, she didn’t even leave her table.”



“She sent someone over to me while I was out at the bathroom.”



“She didn’t talk to you herself?” He shook his head.



“Damn! Why do they always go for you?” He shrugged as he continued to puff on his smoke.



“Don’t you think it’s kind of weird she didn’t just ask you herself? She had the hired help do it?”



“Maybe because of all the paparazzi.”



“True…”



“So, what do you think?”



“I don’t even know why you are thinking about it…she’s hot…she seems nice enough…she’s hot and have I mentioned she’s hot?” He laughed.



“Yeah but she’s always surrounded by press.” He had a point there.



“It’s one date Nick, it’s not like you’re marrying her or anything. You’re young, she’s young… go for it.”



“We’ll see, maybe it was a fluke.”



“She probably meant to give her number to ME.” Nick rolled his eyes at me and I laughed.



“Don’t tell the others about this okay? I don’t want them freaking out or anything.”



“First of all Kaos, why in the hell would I even tell anyone about it? Secondly you’re right. Kevin would freak the hell out.”



“Why would Kevin freak the hell out?” At the sound of Brian’s voice, Nick dropped and stepped on his cigarette again. Of course I had to make fun of him for that.



“Nothing…hey!” Nick replied, waving at Brian as if he was the hall monitor poking his head in the bathroom to make sure no one was getting into trouble.



“Are you ready to go? I’m anxious to whoop your butt!” Brian replied while tapping my head for some strange reason. He’s weird.



“Yeah I guess…” I looked over at Nick to see if we were done with our conversation and he was staring at his feet.



“See ya later Nick.” I said patting his back.



“Yeah…have fun guys. I’ll talk to you later.” He smiled but it wasn’t a real one. I felt like that kid in junior high who accidentally steals one best friend away from another.



“Nick, when I get back I’m going to stop by your room is that okay?” He looked up and smiled at Brian.



“Sure.”



“See ya later and might want to not light up again, Kevin is on his way out.”



He nodded, “Thanks.”



As we walked away, I pat Brian on the head, “So what are you buying for me when I win today? I can always use a new car.”



“Pfft! we’ll see about that.” He said as we headed towards my van which I have lovingly named Mr. Pukey. I also call Nick that too.



~*~*~*~*~*~*




I watched them leave and suddenly got sad, well sad and mad. For some reason, I was angry at Brian. I don’t know why, I mean how immature can I be? Very… according to the guys I’m sure.



“He hates me…”



“Who hates you?”



“What is it about you guys and sneaking up on a person when he’s trying to talk to himself?”



“Howie was looking for you.” Kevin said…completely ignoring what I had just said.



“I told him I’d be outside.”



“What you think I’m lying to you?” He answered all defensively.



“I didn’t say that, chill man.” I shook my head at Kevin as he stood there staring at me. Was it a stare or a glare? I couldn’t say for sure.



“You need to stop that by the way.” Damn it all to hell, how in the world did he even know I was smoking? He’s like the CIA I swear.



“Okay sorry…I really am trying to quit and I don’t really do it that often…”



“What the hell are you talking about?”



“Um…what are you talking about?” Always conquer a Kevin question with another one.



“The thinking people hate you all the time. You have to stop that.”



“Oh.”



“Do I even want to know what you were talking about?”



“Probably not.”



He grabbed my shoulder and squeezed in a loving, caring way. “Then don’t tell me, I’m not in the mood to know.”



“Not a problem…are you coming with Howie and I to the beach?”



“Not this time, I think I’m going to go back to the hotel and sleep. I’m afraid I’m getting a cold or something.”



“That sucks.”



“Yeah it kind of does, but you guys have a great time and I’ll see ya when you get back.”



“We’re actually heading to the hotel first so we can change I’d imagine.”



“Then see ya in a few.”



I nodded at him, “Okay later Kevy…”



“I hate that nickname.”



“I know; that’s why I just called you that.”



“Later.” He said, smirking at me as he left.



I grabbed another cigarette out of my pocket and lit it, shielding the lighter from the wind.



“There you are, I was looking all over the place for you.”



Howie startled me so I dropped my cigarette onto my hand, thus burning the shit out of myself.



“Son of a bitch! Ah! What is wrong with you friggin people sneaking up on me like that?”



“Are you okay?” He walked over to examine my hand.



“Yeah, it just hurt like a mother fucker.”



“Sorry…you should put some ice on it before it blisters.”



I shook it, not like shaking it would do anything mind you but I was hoping the breeze created by my shaking the hand around would ease the pain a little bit.



“Yeah when we get to the hotel.”



“Oh Nicky, about that…I’m sorry buddy but I’ll have to take a rain check on the beach. John just called and said there’s a little crisis at one of the hotels and I need to sort it out.”



I tried not to look disappointed, “That’s okay D…I’ll go alone.”



“Maybe Kev will…”



“Nah he said he thinks he’s getting sick.”



“Sorry, I mean I could try to handle it all from the beach…”



“Howie, it’s not a big deal. Seriously, I’ve gone to the beach alone before, many times in fact.”



“No you haven’t liar! You couldn’t do that without getting mobbed before.”



“If you haven’t noticed, things have changed.” He thought about this for a minute and nodded.



“Okay good, why don’t we head over to the hotel then?”



“You know what? I think I’m just going to head right on over to the beach now; I wasn’t going to go in the water anyway. I just want to go sit and watch the waves.” Truth was I didn’t want to go to the hotel because then Kevin would have ended up coming with me. Not that I didn’t want Kevin’s company, but I would know he just didn’t trust me alone, seems that’s the only way to get them to hang with me these days... poor me.



He smiled at me and once again grabbed his phone, “See ya later Nicky. And put something on that hand, go get a drink and use the ice or something.”



“Good idea….D you is a genius!”



“Yup I know this.”



I laughed at him as he walked away chirping orders to his brother over the phone.



For whatever reason I started whistling as I headed over to the beach. I decided to take a cab and then hoof it from there.

Thanks for reading! :O) I'll be back next Monday with another chapter!