- Text Size +
14



How to be a Teen Idol 101…the refresher course!








I was up bright and early the next morning, since I couldn’t sleep at all. Whenever I got into a comfortable position on the bed I found myself suddenly having to cough up a lung or two. Don’t you hate it when that happens? So, I was up before the sunrise just sitting there sipping on some hot tea and minding my own business when I heard talking coming from the bathroom.



Curiosity got the best of me so I ventured over to eavesdrop, sure as anything it was Nick or maybe AJ because those two would be the only ones who readily talk to themselves always OR would have someone in the shower with them. Sure enough, I was wrong. It was Howie and of course he was on the phone. At 5 o’clock in the morning.



Shortly after I figured out it was him he came out of the bathroom and almost jumped a mile when he saw me standing out there. “You scared me to death. I didn’t think anyone would be awake.”



“Sorry, I couldn’t sleep…what were you doing on the phone?” okay I knew it was none of my business but when people talked this early in the morning, in my book that was never a good sign.



“I was talking to one of our investors.”



“Oh, this early?”



“It’s not early in Singapore, that’s where he is.”



“Oh, is this the guy who John talked to yesterday?”



“No, it’s his partner. I figure if I sweet talk him, he’ll get the other guy to change his mind.”



“So, I take it that meeting didn’t go well then huh?” Howie shook his head as he let out a yawn.



“Sorry.”



“Its business, we’ll manage.”



I felt kind of dumb, not realizing how heavily Howie was actually into this side business of his. I guess I should have known because at one point he had asked me to go in as a partner on a hotel with him, but at the time I thought it was just going to be a phase. I turned him down, deciding instead to open up a studio of my own in Boston. I kind of wish I had said yes now.



“What time do we have to be there today?”



“9 I think.” I sat back down at the table and stared out at the sky as it gradually turned brighter.



“And what time is it now?” He looked as if he was dreading the answer.



“Almost 6.”



“I guess it would be dumb to go back to bed then, I know I’ll never wake myself up.” I nodded at him. He was right; Howie was probably the hardest person to wake up ever. He loved sleeping and did it well. “So how are you feeling? Still crappy?”



“Yeah, I can barely breathe but it’s just a cold I think.”



“You should go to the doctor.”



“I will if I’m still feeling like this by tomorrow. I tend to get over things pretty quickly.”



He nodded only half listening to me, it looked like he had something on his mind, he seemed distracted. “Howie, is everything all right?”



“Yeah, why do you ask?”



“You just seem down or something.”



“No, I’m just…it’s hard getting back into the routine you know? I mean, we aren’t getting any younger. I’m already feeling wiped and we haven’t even done anything and you’re already sick.”



“I know… it’s going to be a lot harder than it was a few years ago I think.”



“We are all so out of shape.” I laughed at that, he was right. All of us managed to grow bigger guts while having less hair.



“Yeah we have to go back to How to be a teen idol 101, the refresher course.” I laughed a little too hard and started coughing which only made the two of us laugh even harder.



“I think by the time we tour, we’ll be in shape.” I finally said after our laughing had died down.



“What time should we wake the rest of the gang?”



I looked at Howie and shrugged, “Maybe 7:30 or so? I mean if we all have to hop in a shower etc… although I may take mine now.” I figured why not? No time like the present, and this way I wouldn’t be rushed.



“That’s a great idea, wish I had thought of it first.” Howie kidded as he walked over to the fridge and pulled out a bottle of water. “Hey Kev, how long do we have this suite for?”



Now that was a good question, “I think we have it for at least two weeks, but I’m not positive. Why?”



“Just wasn’t sure when I needed to start looking for a place of my own. Not that I don’t love living in a hotel and all but…well you know.”



“I know.” And I did, funny I hadn’t even thought of that, but now that Howie had said it, it made sense. I’d have to call Kris later and talk about the idea of getting our own place out here.



“Okay I’m off to shower.”



“Later.” He said waving at me while going for the couch and putting on the television.



~*~*~*~*~*~




I was so tired; I knew that would happen to me. I guess if we had a few quiet moments in the studio, I could grab a couch and lay down. That was one thing everyone envied me for, the ability I had to fall asleep no matter where we were.



I like my sleep, my mother even said as a baby, I would sleep all night long. Just another of many reasons why I’m her favorite I’m sure. The sound of whistling caused me to look up just as Brian came skipping into the room. Yes I did say skipping and no, I wasn’t just saying that either. He was actually skipping. He is so strange.



“I didn’t think you’d be up this early.” He said energetically walking over towards me and plopping down on the couch.



“When did you become a morning person Brian?”



“When I became a daddy, it kind of just happened.” I nodded at him and smiled. It was SO weird picturing this huge doofus as a father. I’m not saying that to sound mean but this is the guy that convinced Nick to poop in a sock!



“Did you teach him how to play basketball yet?” I felt bad because I haven’t even really met this child yet. Here we are supposedly so close we call ourselves brothers but I couldn’t even tell you what Baylee looked like besides seeing a picture here or there of him.



“We’re working on it. He needs to be able to walk without falling over his feet first.”



“Yeah, I need to work at that as well.”



He reached over and ruffled my hair, “you are one funny guy Howie D!”



“Thanks Brian, I’ll be here all week!” He shook his head at me and bit at his bottom lip.



“Oh and you’ll be happy to know I finally told Nick that I didn’t hate him.”



“Yeah, how did that go last night? Did you guys have a good time?”



“It was weird, but good. Anyway he seemed a little relieved when I said that so I guess you were right… oh smart one.”



“Did you even doubt that I’d be right?” Even though in this case I was hoping I wasn’t.



“Who’s in the shower?”



“Your cousin.”



“Wow we are all getting up earlier these days aren’t we? Ugh, we are really getting old. Soon we’ll be going to bed at 7 and waking up at 4.”



I laughed at him, “Yeah that’s kind of what Kevin and I were saying.”



“Can I let you in on a secret Howie?”



“Surely what is it?”



“I’m balding I think!”



I turned to look at him, “What makes you say that?”



“My hair has been falling out. How can I be a balding pop star?”



“Seems to work for AJ.”



“That was cruel Howie! And everyone thinks you are so nice.”



“Correction Brian…” I said standing up now that I heard the bathroom door open, “Everyone seems to think that WE are so nice. You and I, although we know differently don’t we?”



“Yes we do!” He let out a very cruel sounding muahhahaha type laugh.



“I’m off to shower before Nick and AJ wake up.”



“Good idea, I should have thought about that.”



“Beat you to it Brian. See ya soon.” I saluted him and left for the bathroom which was hot and steamy. Apparently Kevin has never heard of the exhaust fan or heat lamp before.



~*~*~*~*~*~






I found myself watching the Wiggles just out of habit. People thought we were strange, my GOD, we were nothing compared to these guys. My son loved them though so we just kind of got into the habit of watching them as we ate breakfast, me my cereal in soy milk and him a waffle only one with absolutely no syrup. My child was not big on condiments, well besides ketchup which he insisted we put on his bologna.



I sighed as the purple guy started singing; yes they were only colors to me, when I started learning their names we were all in trouble.



“Rok what in the name of all that’s holy are you watching?”



“Morning J.”



“Yeah, so what is this? Do you have any idea how weird it is to wake up and have the first image you see be a dancing and singing octopus while being totally sober?”



“It’s the Wiggles.” I laughed and shook my head at him.



“And why would you be watching them?”



“Because it’s just what I do.”



“And that doesn’t make you….a little weird?”



“I never said I was normal, I mean how normal can one be if they are friends with you?”



He sat down next to me and yawned, “Good point.”



For a guy who was making fun of the Wiggles a second ago he suddenly seemed entranced and I kind of wish I had a picture there as proof of it. His mouth was wide opened as he stared at the screen in awe. “I wonder if Kevin brought his camcorder.”



“I haven’t seen it but I think Nick brought one.”



“Really?” Seemed like everything concerning Nick took me by surprise these days.

“Yeah, I’m pretty sure I saw one lying on the floor in his disaster of a room.”



“Oh like your room isn’t a disaster AJ?”



“It’s neater than his.”



“My son’s is neater than his.” AJ snickered as he finally took his eyes away from the screen. I decided to flip the channel because all we needed was Nick to wake up and become hypnotized by the Wiggles, we’d never get him to the studio.



“Aww!”



I laughed at AJ, “Sorry...you know they are on at this time every day AJ, maybe tomorrow we’ll watch it together.”



“I don’t plan on being up this early ever again Rok!”



“I’m surprised you woke up on your own.”



“Yeah, Kevin coughing like a bitch woke me up.”



“You know that didn’t even make any sense. Kevin coughing like a bitch?”



“Just trying to get my point across Littrell.”



“The point being you hardly make any sense?” I love picking on AJ, he’s so easy to pick on.



“Oh, what the hell ever. Do we have any coffee in this place?”



“I just ordered us some.”



“You are a smart little elf.”



“Little elf?”



“Yeah.”



“Ooookay…” I shook my head at my odd little bald friend.



“Who’s in the shower?”



“Howie and yay! I just heard him get out! My turn!”



“Have fun, but not too much fun…without me anyway. You already cheated on me once.”



“I told you to stop being a jealous girlfriend Alexander!” I winked at him and pat his leg as I ventured towards the bathroom which was more like a sauna.



~*~*~*~*~*~




I waited until I heard the water go on before I took the remote and turned the Wiggles back on. It just seemed like the appropriate thing to be watching considering it was early as my aunt Tessa’s ass. Wow Rok was right, I don’t make any sense.



“What are you watching AJ?” I turned to the sound of one wet Kevin and quickly shrugged.



“No idea, Brian was watching it.”



“Well change it; I want to see the news.”



“The news is so boring Kevin.”



“Yes boring and informative, now change it please.”



“Wow, I forgot how bossy you are, by the way, how are you feeling? Your coughing woke me up this morning. Can you cough any quieter?”



“Sorry, my near dying was such an inconvenience to you, next time I’ll make sure I smother myself in my pillow is that better?”



“Much… thanks.” He gave me the finger and then took the remote. I guess my channel changing wasn’t fast enough for him.



“Who wants to go wake Nick up?”



“Well gee Kev, since you and I are the only ones in this room right now I say you!”



“I’m not doing it, you do it.”



“No way José! Howie will do it!”



“What will I do?”



“We have elected you to go wake up Mr. Carter.”



“What time did he get in last night anyway?” Kevin asked me, like I was up and waiting for the kid.



“No clue, but he was quiet. I barely heard him although who could hear anything but your hacking cough?”



“Ha-ha enough with the cough already!”



“Wow someone isn’t in a very good mood huh?” I whispered that to Howie who smiled at me in return. I think collectively we all hated when Kevin was sick because when he was ill, we all suffered for it. Kris owed us big for taking him away from her just in time for him to catch Sars or whatever it was he had.



“What time is it?” Howie asked, dreading the wake up call he had to make.



“It’s almost 8.”



“Damn, okay.” He sighed and left for Nick’s room.



“I am not going to sound very good today with this cold.” Kevin opened a jar of honey that Brian ordered for him and just held it over his mouth as he let it slide down his throat.



“That’s one way to do it I guess.” Room service had come just as Brian left for the shower and I took it upon myself to drink the first cup of coffee. I never was a big coffee drinker until I started AA. Now I drink it like water, which probably isn’t very good but when people start nagging on me about it, I’ll just light up a cigarette and then all is forgotten.



A knock on the door had us all look up at the same time, well Kevin, and I. “Are we expecting anyone?” I asked, it was so funny because the way we were acting, you’d think death was on the other side waiting for us.



“Let me in please!” I walked over to the door and let Nick in. He was carrying a huge cup of coffee and was wearing the same clothes he left in the night before. His eyes were all red and his hair was all over the place. He basically looked like Nick.



“Good morning everyone.” He also was a bit hoarse.



“Are you just getting home now?” Kevin said eyeing Nick up and down as he sipped on his coffee.



“Yeah, but I’m not late am I?”



“Well no but…we are going to be leaving in a few minutes.” Kevin replied sounding like he wanted to yell at the kid but knowing he couldn’t because he wasn’t a kid anymore.



“Okay, let me just pee and change, I’ll be right back.”



“Hurry, we’re leaving in ten minutes with or without you.”



“Did he just get in?” Brian asked as Nick ran past him and headed for the bathroom.



“Yup.” I answered smiling.



“Wow, seems like not all of us need that how to be pop star course.” Howie said as he entered into the main room, realizing that Nick wasn’t in his room just as we did.



In about ten minutes flat, Nick walked out into the main room, wearing a different outfit and his hair all wet. He probably shoved his head under cold water. I have done that trick many many times myself.



As we were just about to head out the door he looked over at me and smirked, I read so much in that smile. That was a ‘boy do I have a story to tell you’ smile. Instantly I knew he was with a girl last night and not just any girl either. I mouthed the word Paris and was greeted with a nod.



Oh this is indeed going to be interesting I thought to myself just as Kevin rushed us all out the door.

Thanks for reading! I'll be back next week with a new chapter :O)