- Text Size +
30



Climbing the Walls…








We all sat chowing down on some Chinese food at my house. I love when people come to my place. I’ve always been such a big home body and since my wife and child aren’t home, this place has felt so empty. So when Kevin suggested we all hang out tonight to listen to the songs that Max sent over together, I immediately volunteered my place.



I shook my head at AJ as once again I heard the all too familiar strands of Heart and Soul coming from my piano. The boy always played that song whenever he was anywhere near a keyboard or piano. I do think it’s an obsessive compulsive ‘I’ll die if I don’t play this song,’ type of thing.



“AJ! I swear to God…”



“Kevin, it’s not nice to swear to God.” I laughed when I heard that. Those two should have a sitcom. I know I’d watch.



My eyes went over in the direction of my cousin. He was eating his Lo Mien with chop sticks, or at least trying to. It was comical to watch, believe me. I’m glad I gave him an extra big dish because if I didn’t those noodles would be landing everywhere and then I would get yelled at. Wow, I am turning into this odd combination of my father and my wife.



“Just back away from the piano AJ, we’ve all had our fill of Heart and Soul for the night.”



“Don’t you want to come over and play the bass part?”



“No! And you stay right there!” Kevin said pointing at Nick who looked ready to join AJ over at the piano.



“Yes sir!” Nick answered with a mock salute.



He was doing a little better Nickolas Gene, except that his back was still really bruised. He was semi walking like an old man too, but other than that, thankfully he was okay. He saw me staring at him, so he smiled back at me.



I felt compelled to go join him on the couch; he looked like he needed the company. “How’s it going?” I pat his leg and handed him a napkin. Okay, so I’m a dad and he was making a mess. I can’t have them staining my furniture.



“I’m good.”



“Really?”



“Yeah, still sore, but other than that…good.” He smiled, but it was a fake one. He wasn’t good at all. In fact, since his window accident, he really hasn’t been himself. Not that I was always so sure what ‘himself’ was anymore. Back when we were younger, it was different but now, I can’t read him anymore than anyone else.



“I’m happy to hear that.”



“I still say the window locks were a bit much.”



I laughed, I couldn’t help it. “I know you disapprove, but I think it’s a good thing to have anyway. I mean one day either you or AJ will be a dad and you’ll already have those locks on the windows.”



“So, you think that the two of us will be living in that place until one of us has kids?”



I shrugged at him, “I’m just trying to make you feel better.”



“It’s not working…I don’t see locks on your windows and you do have a kid.”



“We have them on his windows upstairs. But I don’t think we have to worry for a few years because we aren’t letting him get a cell phone until he’s a teenager.”



“Ha… ha …ha, very funny.”



“Did you get yours fixed yet?”



He looked at me and shook his head. “I just bought a new one.”



“That’s probably a good thing, seems like that phone was doomed from the start.”



“Yeah, and I only programmed people into it that I know won’t piss me off!” I nodded at him and my ‘uh oh Paris alert’ button went on. They still weren’t talking, and this made me hopeful. He was so much better off without her and her drama but then again, so was I.



“Do you want another drink?” I asked him, grabbing his glass that he put on my cherry wood coffee table without a coaster.



“Thanks.” He smiled up at me and I felt horrible. He knew I was bailing on him before he had a chance to whine about Paris. How is it, that he can now read me better than I can read him? I almost sat down but I didn’t want to make it even more obvious so I stood up and pet his head.



“I’ll be back…does anyone else want anything?”



“Yes cousin, we know you are the king of locks…do you happen to have one for your piano?”



I laughed and then sadly, obliged…what? It came with a lock…I swear.





~*~*~*~*~*~






I can still hum the song, even though the piano is locked. Pfft! They think they can silence the great AJ Mclean? Well they have another thing coming. I started to whistle Heart and Soul and was promptly hit with one of the throw pillows from Brian’s couch. “I know they’re called throw pillows D but they don’t mean that literally.”



“Sorry, Kevin made me do it!”



“Right, I can see him holding a gun to your head right now.”



He shrugged and then winked at me. That was fine; I knew how to take a hint. They all suck!



“So, how many songs are we actually listening to?” Kevin asked as he continued to slurp on his noodles.



“I think there’s about five on the tape.” Howie answered, as he shook some hot sauce onto his friend rice.



“Who even does that?” I had to point out how odd that was. I mean, come on now.



“I like my food spicy; don’t you know that by now AJ?”



“But dude…its fried rice.”



“Well, now it’s spicy fried rice.”



How do I argue with that logic? I can’t… so I went back to the songs, “I’m excited to listen to these songs. I have a good feeling about this.”



“Me too.” Nick added, before going back into his solemn, lost lonely boy in love posture. You know what I mean? Head hanging down, shoulders hunched over and a big old sour puss on his face.



I was getting tired of him asking me every ten minutes if Paris called. It really was every ten minutes and what’s worse is, half the time he was in the room with me. ‘Yes Nick, she called me in my head but I told her you couldn’t come to the phone because that would mean I’d have to eat you.’



I shouldn’t pick on him though, because I know I tend to get the same way. We are pathetic when it comes to ladies. They do something to our brains; reduce them to some kind of gelatinous mush. That’s why I’m lucky that I am already married to Brian’s wife.



“Guys, what do we do if we don’t like these songs either?” They all looked over at me as if I had said something dumb.



“Well, we can always do the writing together thing.” Kevin suggested for about the gazillionth time.



“I really think you’ll like these though, no worries AJ.” He winked at me again…wow I think Howie likes me. I’m getting all excited now.



“Well, like I said I do have a good feeling about them, I was just wondering is all.”



“Everyone expects us to fail you know.” Oh here comes mister sunshine.



“Nick…”



“It’s true; everyone thinks this will flop, even our own fans. I’ve seen them discuss it on message boards.”



“Nick! How many times do I have to tell you to stay away from those things!”



“I think it’s a good way to measure what we’re up against though, don’t you? I mean if our fans think we’re going to suck…then what about the people who already hate us?”



“Nicky if they hate us then they hate us, who cares?”



“I kind of do.”



“Don’t.”



“But I do.”



“Don’t.”



“But I…”



“Okay, we get it…the thing is, we have to do this for ourselves. It’s almost better that they have no faith in us right? Then there’s no pressure.”



He looked over at Kevin and then half nodded, that’s the other thing about Nick, when he’s upset about a girl, he becomes Debbie Downer about everything. I walked into his room the other night to check up on him, make sure those windows were still locked etc…etc… and he was on his laptop browsing a message board. He made me look at some of the stupid things our fans were saying and even though I got a kick out of it, and normally he would too, because he was in this fabulous mood he was so grim about everything.



They were tearing apart his girlfriend for one, I laughed a few times…it was funny. But I admit even some of the things they were saying about us and our lack of talent, were getting me mad. I wanted to even post some comments of my own but the stupid board had closed registration to new members….next time!



So I told him to keep his chin up and stop worrying so much about what everyone thought of everything. Of course, after I said that to him I went into my old closet and threw out a pair of jeans that everyone on that message board was making fun of. Like they dress any better I’m sure…pfft!





~*~*~*~*~*~




I was not in a good mood and that sucked because I really wanted to be. I hate that I let her control my life like this! But it’s killing me that she still hasn’t called. I mean it’s been about three days and still not a word. Well, not since I flung the phone across the room. She’s cheating on me, I just know it. She probably found some half tard to screw and is lying in bed with him right now as we speak.



I’ll be in all the tabloids tomorrow, “Backstreet Boy takes backseat…details on page 6.” Oh please, who am I kidding? Like they would even care about me to begin with. I’m yesterday’s news. The only reason anyone even cares is because I’m dating her and I hate the fact that I enjoy that.



How can she do this to me? She told me she loves me to death, that I’m the only one for her. She wrote me a ton of love letters. They were very sweet and nice, okay so I didn’t really care all that much and didn’t even read most of them. I’m not big on cards and stuff, but even still…she loves me, at least I thought she did.



“Nick, stop brooding.” I looked over at Kevin confused.



“Huh?”



“How are you feeling?” I know he didn’t ask me that before right? He did say something else.



“I’m okay, just a little sore. My back aches a bit.”



“You probably shouldn’t sit like that then. I’m sure it’s not helping.” I shrugged at him. I enjoy sitting Indian style, so sue me. But okay, yes I straightened my legs out then and he nodded as if he was the great and powerful Wizard of Oz. Ugh! I want to smack something.



“This is the most bland crap I’ve ever had.”



“You want to borrow some hot sauce?”



I looked over at D and shook my head, “No thanks.” I placed my food down in disgust.



“Good lord would you please do us all a favor and just go call her?”



“What?”



“You heard me Nick, go call her. It’s clear you’re miserable and will be until you hear from her, so go call her dude.”



“No, way!” I placed my arms in front of me and crossed them. For some reason, this made them all laugh. “What the hell is so funny?”



“Nothing…do you want me to call her?” I was ready to punch AJ in the face, so I got up, gave him the bird and walked outside. I needed some fresh air. They all called after me, laughing mind you and I could swear to God I heard Brian say to someone, make sure he’s not by any open windows.



I knew I was being childish and how did I know? “Hey…” I felt Kevin put a hand on my shoulder as he came out to join me. That’s how I knew.



“I’m in a bad mood and kind of want to be alone Kev.”



“You’re in a bad mood? I haven’t noticed.” He really thinks he’s funny but I can assure you, he’s not. I shook my head at him. “Nicky…do not let her control your life like this, okay?”



“Why, would you prefer to be the one to control my life?” Ouch…harsh, but I warned him didn’t I?



“How about you try that role for once! Maybe if you stop letting everyone control your life we wouldn’t even be having this conversation.” Okay, I deserved that I guess… Stupid Kevin…Stupid always right Kevin.



“I do have control of my life.” Right?



He sighed, “Nick, she treats you like garbage, tell me you can’t see that!”



“She doesn’t.” Okay maybe a little but it’s not like I’m all innocent either. We both have hot tempers and tend to fight a lot.



“Why are you afraid to call her?”



“What? I’m not afraid to call her.”



“Yeah you are, if you weren’t you would have made the call by now.”



“I called her last, it’s her turn.”



“Since when has phone etiquette been so important to you? You are the kid who called me ten times in a row just to fart into your phone.”



“I was bored.” Well I was! And I never thought he’d actually figure out it was me…stupid caller ID!



“I’m worried about you.”



“You’re always worried about me.”



“But this girl…”



“She has a name Kevin, God why do you all hate her so much?”



“Fine…Paris isn’t good for you Nick. But if you think she is, then make the call.” He pat my back one more time and then walked back inside. I grabbed my phone and stared at it…damn it!





~*~*~*~*~*~






When I got back inside Brian was standing where I had just vacated, rubbing something into the carpet as Howie and AJ looked on amused. “What on earth?”



“You dropped a noodle, I can’t let it stain, and this is a new carpet.”



“I dropped a noodle?”



“Yes.”



“Sorry, I’ll be more careful.”



“How about you just use a fork like a normal human being?”



“Because AJ, this is Chinese food and I like to be authentic.”



“Maybe you can be authentic but still use a fork?” I looked over at my cousin as he held out a fork to me. He shrugged as he did it, am I that messy?



“You have some stuff on your shirt too Kev…maybe next time you should wear a bib.”



“Shut up AJ!” Wow, maybe I am messy. I’m glad I didn’t try that in a restaurant.



“So…is he okay?”



“He’s sulking Brian. I told him that she wasn’t good for him.”



“Oh why the hell did you do that? Now he’s definitely going to call her skanky little ass!”



“Why do you say that AJ?”



“Dude…” He followed that up with a shrug and as horrifying as it sounds, I completely understood that. Oh my God I speak AJ-ese.



“Well then good, he should call her, instead of staying in here and sulking like a three year old.” I made my way back over to my noodles with my fork. That was a dumb mistake, of course if I tell him she’s wrong for him, he’ll call her to spite me or maybe for once, he’ll take my advice and listen.



The front door promptly opened a few minutes later and he came in all smiles…damn. He sat down beside me, “She’s going to call me tonight, but she actually apologized for being a bitch.”



I nodded at him, I really wanted to back hand him but I smiled instead, “Good for you.”



“Yeah, she said she’s been a bitch lately.”



“Lately?” Howie said that very faintly and was kicked in the shin by both AJ and Brian at the same time. I almost laughed, but refrained.



“She’s been under a lot of pressure from this stupid show, but we’re going to work everything out. Thanks guys.”



They all looked over at me like I was the bad guy…what the heck?





~*~*~*~*~*~*






“So is everyone just about ready to hear these songs?” I asked just as I finished up my super spicy fried rice. I’m telling you, everything tastes better with hot sauce. I even put it on chocolate ice cream once…sure I might have been a little drunk at the time, but still, it didn’t taste half bad.



“I’m ready when you are D.” Kevin said nodding his head and smiling at me.



I was truly excited as I grabbed the CD and handed it over to Brian. He took it and ran over to his stereo. “I know you guys will love them, especially the first one.”



“Is that the Climbing the Walls one?” I nodded at AJ just as the first few measures of the song kicked in. It was so odd, I felt like they were listening to one of my songs. I felt the same anxiety and exhilaration, maybe because I knew how important this was. Seriously we were at the point where we just weren’t happy with anything we were recording. I was afraid that would put a strain on this record as well as our relationship.



As we listened I made sure I watched them all for their reactions. Nick started smiling almost immediately. I knew out of them all, he would like this most. AJ was bobbing his head and even humming along with the chorus.



Brian was biting on his bottom lip, but I saw him smile a few times as he dusted the furniture. Someone really needs to tell him he doesn’t need to wear an apron for every little thing.



I have an odd feeling he kind of likes it though. Maybe I’ll buy him a new one for his birthday next year, an apron and a new dusting thing.



Kevin was the only one that really wasn’t showing any reaction one way or the other. He had his head down and his eyes closed as he listened intensely. You know how Kevin is, everything he does, he does intensely.



When the song was finished, I went over and pressed pause, eager to get everyone’s reactions. That’s when Kevin’s head came up and his eyes opened finally. “Well?” I asked slowly eyeing everyone, “What did you think?”



“I thought it kicked ass!” Nick said without any hesitation. “I can totally hear that on the radio and on our album!”



“I agree…okay I’m psyched, is the rest of this stuff just like this song D?” AJ said as he bounced on the chair…yes he was bouncing.



I nodded, “Kind of, but a little different.”



“Awesome.”



“What did you think Kev?” Brian asked, I could tell we were all anxious for his reaction.



“I liked it.” He looked up at me and smiled, “I liked it a lot.”



“I did too…okay so let’s hear the rest of them then, come on D…what are you waiting for, hit play!”



“Okay Brian, relax.” I smiled and pressed play. As we listened to the next few songs you could tell everyone in the room began to relax a little more. It’s like we knew we finally had a direction. No more slow and somber R and B, this time we were going rock. I was excited about the change and I think for the first time in weeks, we were all truly excited again.


Thanks for reading. I'm doing a poll at my actual site where i'm letting my readers pick the type of story I write next. If you are interested in voting hope over to:

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Brain_Candy_mailing_list/

I'm running out of ideas and I think this might help me out lol

Thanks guys! :O)