- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
hey there!

Have a happy fourth of July all my USA peeps lol

Thanks for reading and reviewing.
37





….








When I saw that article, I was beside myself. Words couldn’t even describe all the anger I was feeling. I didn’t even know what to do first. Do I call the newspaper and tell them how messed up it was of them to print something like that without even getting Nick’s point of view? Do I call Johnny to see if there was anything he could do as far as damage control, do I call that fucking hose beast and give her a piece of my mind? Or do I call Nick, who most likely had heard the news and was probably on the verge of a nervous breakdown?



The older brother in me had me picking up the phone and dialing Nicky’s number and of course I wasn’t the least bit surprised that he wasn’t picking up. I probably wouldn’t have either. “Good boy Nick.” I found myself praising him for his common sense while at the same times wanting to smack him for even dating that bitch in the first place.



I tried calling their real phone next and when I got the answering machine, I found myself rolling my eyes at the message. It was AJ and Nick, acting like nimrods and talking like Cartman and Kyle from South Park. “Sorry we can’t come to the phone right now but…you must respect my athor -i-tey!”



“Hey guys it’s Kevin, I know you’re there so someone pick up the phone please.”



Within a few seconds AJ’s raspy voice came on the line, “Hey Kev.”



“Did you see the paper?”



“Yeah.”



“How is he?”



“Not good.”



“Let me talk to him.”



“He’s in the bathroom, probably naked and lying in a fetal position.” I rubbed my eyes and shook that mental image out of my mind. AJ has a way of being very ‘descriptive’ sometimes too descriptive.



“Have you knocked and checked on him?”



“Kevin, I’m giving him some space dude…I mean he needs it.”



“But still, what if…”



“Kev…he’ll be okay.”



“I’m coming over there.”



“Good, I know Brian is too.”



“Did anyone call Johnny?”



“Yeah, B did. He told us to go to the studio just like nothing happened, because nothing did happen. Stupid bitch!”



“Have any reporters called?”



“Yeah, that’s why I’m screening.”



“Don’t let him talk to anybody.”



“Like he would anyway.”



“I’ll be right over.” I hung up the phone with AJ and took a deep breath.



I was so sick and tired of all the friggin drama all the friggin time. Couldn’t we do one little thing, like try to record an album without having something go wrong? Was that too much to ask?



I shook my head in disbelief about what she had done. I mean, I know I didn’t know all the facts and I also know that Nickolas has a really horrible temper but he would never do anything like that. Not in a million years.



As I was walking out the door to heads towards AJ and Nick’s place, my wife called me to let me know she had just read the news in a magazine. So, now we knew it was more than just the paper reporting on it. This story was slowly making its way out into the public.



“She better hope her ass doesn’t run into me.”



“Kevin, calm yourself down, the last thing you need is to be heard threatening Paris Hilton!”



“Kris, you know I would never do that, but still…God! How can she do something like that?”



“How’s Nick holding up?”



“I’m not sure. I’m going over to see him right now.”



“Give him my love and tell him to keep his chin up high.”



I smiled, “I will baby.”



When I got off the phone with Kristin I almost did call that bitch. I had her number in my cell from all the times one of us had to track Nick down at her place. When I stopped at a traffic light I just sat and stared down at the number. It was then, that I did the most infantile think I have ever done in my life. I pranked Paris Hilton! Nobody will ever find out about it either because I think minus throwing up in someone’s shoe once, it was one of the lowest moment’s of my life.



I got her voicemail and all I said was “you’re a skanky ass bitch!” And then hung up and you know what? It felt great to do! I highly recommend it. In fact let me give you her number so if you ever have the urge, you can do it to!



555 Ima-bitch



I shook my head as I put my phone away and then thought out loud to myself, “God I hope he really isn’t lying naked in a fetal position in the bathroom.”





**************






“Niiick…” I always said his name nice and slow when he knew I meant business. Not that he was intimidated by me in the least, but it did seem to work every now and then. “Answer me please…”



I decided I was going to wait for a few more minutes and then barge in on him because Kevin managed to make me paranoid. That’s something that Kevin does best! I suddenly had visions of the boy trying to flush his own head down the toilet.



“Niiiick, if you don’t answer me I’m coming in.”



“The doors locked.” He answered as if he was my sarcastic teenage daughter.



“Well, then I’ll break it down.”



“Yeah right, I’d like to see that.”



“Nick, I’m just worried about you…let me in…unless you’re lying naked in a fetal position, then you’re on your own dude.”



I loved him but there is a limit, you know?



“You can come in…”



I tried the door and it opened for me and there he was, sitting against the bathtub with his legs drawn up and his arms wrapped around them. He looked so innocent and small and I knew I needed to say something consoling because I did just threaten to kick down the door. I can’t make a threat like that and then come in and say nothing, right?



“Why do you always lock yourself in the bathroom when things go wrong? You have done that ever since I’ve known you. We’re going to have to make a skeleton key for the bathroom.” Okay maybe that wasn’t exactly consoling but at least it got a smile out of him, even if only for a second.



“I don’t know why I do that…the bathroom calms me down I guess.”



“I can see why but dude, our bathroom is a friggin mess. How could this place calm you down? It smells like your ass.”



“Why are you so obsessed with my ass and its smell?”



I took a seat next to him as I shrugged my shoulders, “I just like saying the word ass.”



“Yeah, I guess so.” He shrugged as well. I love how easy it was to just convince him of things. I think anything I said would have garnered that same exact response.



“That was Kevin on the phone.”



“He probably wants to kill me huh?”



“No, not you…her. Anyway, he’s on his way over.”



“I don’t want to go to the studio today AJ. God, I can just see it now, the stupid paparazzi are going to be swarming outside there.”



“Then, we’ll go in the back entrance.”



Nick nodded as he rested his head on his knees. I placed my arm around him and pat his shoulder, “Nicky, it’s okay. No one will ever really believe her over you anyway.”



“Why not? I mean I’m the loser. Everyone cares about her; no one gives a rat’s ass about me.”



I hated when he talked like that! Whenever he was depressed, he got so down on himself. The only person who was worse than Nick when it came to stuff like that was me, so clearly, I knew exactly where he was coming from and yes, that did scare me because I self destructed. I wouldn’t let him do that though. No way!



“Don’t talk like that about yourself! She’s a bitch, and everyone knows it Nick…I think you’re the only one who was clueless to that. I swear to God that even her stupid ass dog knew that her skanky owner was a bitch.”



“I’m such a jerk AJ…and now everyone is going to think I’m some kind of monster…” Okay…here comes the tears…oh good he stopped himself. I’m not good with the crying. I looked at my watch wondering what was taking the rest of the guys so long to get here and all I could do was pat his back.



Maybe I wouldn’t make such a great dad after all. I can see it now, “Awe everything will be okay son because your ass doesn’t have a smell to it.”



“You’re not a monster Kid; you don’t even have a mean bone in your body. You’re like this big freaking gelatinous pancake that oozes love.”



“What the hell is that supposed to even mean McLean?” He looked over at me confused. How was I supposed to know what I meant? Once it was out of my mouth it was out. No turning back.



“I meant you’re lovable….do I have to spell everything out for you?”



“A big gelatinous pancake?”



“Shut up, it just kind of came out.”



He laughed at me, “You’re too much…seriously.”



I looked him in the eyes then and tried to make him see how serious I was being, because I knew he needed to hear it. “Nick, we all love you dude and we’ll make sure you get through this, okay?”



He nodded at me and smiled, there were those tears threatening to spill once again. “Now come on my gelatinous pancake…let’s get out of the bathroom before anyone sees us.”



“So do you mean like a pancake made of Jello?”



“Yeah…I guess.”



“Cool.” He said as I helped him to his feet and we walked down the stairs.





**************




“Do you really think it’s wise to go over there right now?” My lovely wife said as she clanked the dishes in the sink. A clear sign that she was pissed off.



“Yes, I do need to go over there. Chances are Nick’s a mess and there’s no way that AJ can deal with that alone.”



“I’m sure Kevin will be on top of it.”



“Maybe, but still…we should all go there to see how we’re going to handle things. I’m not sure why you’re annoyed.”



She turned around and gave me a look followed by a sarcastic laugh. Those two things combined were never a good combination when it came to Leighanne. And okay yes, maybe it was a stupid question but I really didn’t understand.



“Once again you guys need to go to the defense of Nick Carter for doing something stupid. Doesn’t that get old?”



“He didn’t do this honey. There’s no way he would have ever done something like this.”



“How can you be so sure about that Brian?”



“How can YOU be so sure that he did Leigh?” Now my voice was matching hers in volume and by the time I realized we were in the middle of a full blown fight, my son started to cry.



She walked over and picked our son up out of his highchair. “I just don’t like the idea of always coming to his rescue. Can’t you see the way he’s bringing you guys down? I like Nick, okay? But lately it’s just too much.”



“You don’t like Nick, you never have and if this was one of your friends…like
Janet…”



“Oh please…” She rolled her eyes at me as she walked out of the room with Baylee in hand. I of course followed.



“What? Janet is a wild woman isn’t she? I mean you’ve also known her for half your life. What would you do if she was accused of something like that?”



“That’s totally different.”



“How?”



“Because I don’t work with Janet, she’s just one of my best friend’s from high school.”



“So? I don’t just work with Nick either. He was my best friend long before I even knew who you were. I’ve known that kid for most of his life. I love him and care about him as if he was my blood…so tell me why it is I’m supposed to just shove him aside again? I mean if you would do that to Janet that would just disappoint me completely.”



She put Baylee down by his pile of toys and then looked at me. I could tell she was letting everything I said sink in, so while she was doing that I figured it was a good time to continue, “I almost didn’t even tell you. It’s gotten to that point. I almost made up a lie about why I was going over to AJ’s place instead of the studio.”



“I don’t want you to lie to me Brian.”



“I know, but I am tired of always having to defend my actions to you.”



She nodded at me and wiped a tear away from her eyes, “I’m sorry…I know how much Nick means to you.”



And there was my lovely wife again, the one who no matter how she felt about any given situation, in the end her common sense would win. She came over and gave me a hug which I was quick to return to her. “I’m sorry Brian…I love you. Now, go to your friend. He probably needs to see your face to feel better.”



“Thanks for understanding Leigh, I love you so much.”



I kissed her and then reached down and did the same to Baylee before walking out the door and over to Nick’s place.





*******************’






Howie was the first one to show up which kind of surprised AJ and myself because neither of us had actually called him, at least I don’t think so. He said he came as soon as he saw the report on the television. Yes boys and girls you heard me correctly, I said television. Reports of me hitting Paris had made it onto the morning new shows. And I’m not even talking the tabloidy ones. I mean the real deal news.



I kind of regret not talking to anyone about it, because they all said the same thing, Nick Carter declined to comment. I felt a nervous pang run through my stomach just thinking about how whenever I heard stuff like that I almost always thought the person who wouldn’t say anything was guilty as sin.



“I called your lawyer for you Nicky. He said he’s going to get in contact with you pretty soon.”



“Thanks Howie.”



“How are you holding up?” He looked me up and down.



“I’ll live.”



“If she actually accuses you herself, you can sue her for slander.”



“She’s not doing that though…she’s being a sneaky bitch and having other people come out and say he did it instead of her. When they ask her she always says no comment.”



Howie rolled his eyes at AJ, but I couldn’t even do anything. I was beyond tired of being me to the point that if I was alone, I might have just laid down in the road. I couldn’t do that to them though, or my fans, even though half of them wanted to run me over themselves.



“Were you all alone with Paris, Nicky? Or was someone else with you?”



“I was alone and then AJ and Brian came and got me. I dumped her and she got mad at me and threw me out of her car. She told me I was going to pay but I thought she meant she was going to lie and tell people I had a 2 inch dick.”



“You dumped her?”



“Yeah.”



“Good boy Nick!”



“Now’s not really the time Howie.”



“I know, sorry. Just that when Bean told us you were out with Paris, we were sure you guys had gotten back together again.”



“You came out looking for me?” I know I shouldn’t have been surprised by that. In a way I was even expecting it, but still…



“Uh…well no, not really I mean we went out to a club and Bean happened to be there.”



“What a coincidence huh?” AJ said, sounding amused because please…it’s not like I was born yesterday, even though sometimes I act like it and most times they treat me like it.



The phone rang once again, which made my heart skip a few beats. This was probably the 25th call of the morning so far…no joke. It got so bad that we turned the volume down so I wouldn’t have to hear the question ten gazillion times in a row. How could she do this to me? Can you really be so vile and malicious to do something like that to somebody? Or did I do that to her and not even remember it? God dammit now she was making me even question my own guilt.



“Nicky…it’s your lawyer.” AJ said handing me the phone. I hadn’t even noticed that he picked it up.



Through the conversation with my lawyer which pretty much only lasted long enough to get an ‘official’ type statement from me, all I could do was think back to all the fun times we had shared together. I really did love her once, and even now, how I was supposed to come out and be mean when deep down inside I kind of still did love her?



Good lord if I actually verbalized that, I would get the beat down of my life, especially since when I came back into the living room Kevin was sitting there waiting for me. He stood up and walked over to me so quickly I thought he was going to body slam me up against the wall or something.



“Why are you wincing?” He asked me, suddenly stopping his walk towards me.



“I wasn’t wincing.”



“Did you think I was going to hurt you or something?”



“I don’t know…were you?”



“Do I have a reason to?”



Oh god no… please not this game again. “No…”



“Good, then come here.” He pulled me into a hug. “I’m sorry she is doing this to you, are you holding up okay?”



I pulled away from him and nodded. “As well as can be expected I guess.”



“So what did your lawyer say Nick?”



“He said not to say anything to the press, don’t answer the door or phone and to just keep living life as normal. Any statements about that happened should be made through him.”



“Good idea.”



I nodded once again…talking was too draining at this point.



“Well, I know the last thing you want to do is leave here Nick, but like Johnny said, we should go to the studio as if it was any other day.”



I really didn’t want to do that because what if there were a ton of reporters there waiting for us? I’m not sure I could handle that, “But what if they bombard me.”



“I won’t let them!” I had to laugh because not only Kevin said that but Howie and AJ did as well, all just about at the same time. They made me feel better about things.



When Brian showed up, Kevin came up with a great idea to have just the two of them show up to the studio first. They would call me and let me know if it was a madhouse or not, so this way I’d be prepared and knowing Kevin, he would probably manage to scare some of them away by the time I got there anyway.



“You know Nicky…everything will work out in the end. Eventually the lying will catch up to her and when it does she’ll have a lot of explaining to do.”



“But you know what sucks D? She’s not lying; she’s having everyone else do it for her. She’s not stupid.”



“She’s not?”



“Not when it comes to being in the press. She knows it looks like she is telling the truth when she refuses to talk about it.”



“You know what I think?”



“What?”



“I think you should sic BJ on her!” That was such an unexpected reply from Howie of all people that I couldn’t help but bust out laughing.



“Thanks D…I needed that.”



“I’m serious.”



“I know, that’s what made it even funnier.”



“Hey guys!” We both looked over at AJ. “Kev called, he said there’s no one waiting for you dude. They probably already figured out the whore was lying.”



I let out a huge sigh of relief. Maybe this thing would quietly blow over after all. I mean I am entitled to some good luck every now and then, right?