- Text Size +
Chapter 6 The Agenda

He walked quietly into the office, he knew that the commander was there and didn’t want to be heard. He looked around and noticed that there was some of the cleaning crew trying to get the blood out of the carpet. There was still blood on the tile floor just as you came into the entrance and blood on the steps just outside the door. One would have thought that there had been some form of mass murder with all the blood that had been around, but he knew that it only came from one person. The one person that he didn’t want anyone to know he had been involved with, her injuries were his fault and he knew it, but how was he to hide that from the assistant director and the rest of the agency. You could almost see the guilt written across his face as he walked through the office, his eyes downcast and his steps quick.
“George.”
“Yes sir?” George answered looking up at Ryan.
“Where have you been?”
“Checking on some leads on the Lucas case sir.”
“That case belongs to Cross, you know that.”
“I was helping her out.”
“Then I am to understand that you haven’t been in this building at all this evening.”
“That’s right.” George answered.
“Rodriguez, you were sighted in this building two hours ago.”
“Sorry sir I was no where near this building.” George said looking at Ryan. Ryan narrowed his eyes, he needed to be able to prove that George had been seen in the building at the same time that Meranda was shot. But how was he going to prove something like that?
“Director, there is a call for you.”
“Thank you. I’ll have to talk to you later George.” Ryan said turning and heading back into his office. He picked up the phone and waited a moment before pushing the line that was blinking.
“Matthew Ryan.”
“Sir we have a problem.”
“What is it?”
“There has been someone sighted near Meranda’s room.”
“So double security.”
“We did but the person slipped in, Meranda went into cardiac arrest.”
“Damn it I’ll be right there.”
“Yes sir.”

Ryan left the building hurrying over to the hospital. As he drove he wondered why would anyone try and kill one of his agents? Why would someone really take this kind of time. As he arrived at the hospital he noticed that a familiar car was pulling out of the parking lot. Hurrying inside he stopped in front of James.
“How is she?”
“Sorry sir.” James said looking at the older man.
“What?”
“They lost her.” James said looking toward the room. Meranda’s body still lay on the bed but the sheet now covered her face. Ryan could hardly believe this and walked into the room. He saw a nurse standing there, one he’d never seen at the hospital before.
“I’m sorry.” She said as she turned and left the room. James waited a moment before he entered the room. The woman was gone and James reached and pulled the sheet off of Meranda’s face.
“What are you doing? If she’s dead there is no reason to remove that.”
“She’s not dead.”
“What?”
“Meranda went into cardiac arrest and the doctors came running to save her. There was a woman in there I had never seen on staff, I informed the doctors to make it look like Meranda had died. The woman was still there standing near the bed looking at Meranda as you entered the room. When she left that’s when I came in. Meranda’s being moved to a private wing so that only specified doctors and nurses can be near her.”
“Will she recover?”
“They aren’t sure. The woman gave her something in her IV and that is what caused the cardiac arrest in the first place.”
“I want her moved and placed under high security.”
“What about her death? Should it be in the paper and on the news?”
“Yes, I want who ever is doing this to think that she’s gone and that the only link to him is dead.”
“All right. I’ll make sure that a release is made.”
“I’ll speak the press sir.” Colette said looking at them both.
“Are you sure?”
“Yes, it seems that the person who is doing this will want to see one of us making the release. Why not me, I can even get some tears going.”
“Good, get this done now.” Ryan said. James and Colette nodded as two doctors and a nurse approached him.
“Meranda will be moved in a few moments. Director, I must inform you that what ever she was given has caused extensive damage to her lungs and heart. There were signs that she was coming out of the coma, but after this episode I don’t see that happening for a long while. Her body needs to heal.”
“Just make sure she gets the attention she needs.” Ryan said, he watched as they wheeled Meranda out of the room and down the long hallway.

James placed his cell phone back inside his jacket and looked at Colette.
“She’s our friend. I can’t believe someone has done this.” She said looking at him. James had to agree, the attack on Meranda not once but twice was beyond what anyone would do. It was seeming that someone was trying to silence Meranda. As if she knew who had shot her in the first place.
“The press are to be here within the hour.” James stated as he reached into his jacket for a piece of gum.
“This case is getting worse and worse. What is next?”
“I don’t know but maybe this announcement will bring the killer out of hiding. Especially if he’s a he and the he that Director Ryan thinks he is.”
“We better hope so.” Colette said as she looked out at the darkening sky.
“Come on we best find a room we can use for the press conference.” James stated as he lead her into the hospital. After speaking to the lady at the main desk they were given permission to use the conference room down the hall. Once they had set things up, Colette made sure there were enough chairs and there was a table for them to sit at to answer questions. Colette placed a pitcher of water and three glasses on the main table. Looking up she could see the media people slowly filtering in.
“Go get Director Ryan the press conference is about to start.” Colette said to James. James nodded and hurried from the room.